PDA

View Full Version : iPod Classic - Windows AND Mac Format?

sprime1
Nov 14, 2007, 08:26 AM
I got a new iPod Classic yesterday to replace a stolen 4th G iPod. I plug the new iPod into my Mac (personal computer), and it says it is formatting it for Mac. I bring the new iPod to work today (windows xp) to put my music from work on it, and it says it needs to format it to windows. I don't want to lose my songs from my Mac computer that i put on my ipod. is there a way to format the ipod where i can use it on both Mac OS and Windows XP? Thanks.

Nov 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
No. If your songs from your Mac are still on your Mac, you clearly won't lose them. If, however, your computer was stolen, you'll need to use extraction shareware of some sort to pull the songs off the iPod.

If what you want to do is merge both playlists on the iPod, you will need to merge them on your Mac, or PC or both.. Burn the songs off one machine to a Data DVD and then copy them to the other playlist. For any Protected AAC you'll just need to make sure both computers are authorized under the same iTunes Store account.

Personally, I would keep the entire playlist on your home computer and not even synch with your work computer... Even if it's not against your company's policy to install third party leisure apps on company property, your company's I.T. department could still irreparably hose up your PC and your songs along with it.

honeytoast
Nov 15, 2007, 02:35 PM
if its like the old iPods (g3, g4 and i think g5) you could just format it on the PC and then manually sync music from both computers. Windows cannot read mac formatted discs but mac will read the windows iPod.