Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
I've been ripping CDs for my ipod touch, and I notice that when I look at the albums on my ipod the songs aren't in the correct order. For example, #1 on the CD is actually #5 in the playlist. Am I doing something wrong? How does the ipod pick the order that the songs go?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I've been ripping CDs for my ipod touch, and I notice that when I look at the albums on my ipod the songs aren't in the correct order. For example, #1 on the CD is actually #5 in the playlist. Am I doing something wrong? How does the ipod pick the order that the songs go?

CDs are ripped in order; a play list can be in any order you like - you can move tracks up and down by hand. They will first appear in the playlist in the order the list you're copying from is sorted - so, if your library is sorted by track name (by clicking the 'Track Name' column), your playlist will be sorted this way as well. Click on Track number to sort by track number.

savar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
CDs are ripped in order; a play list can be in any order you like - you can move tracks up and down by hand. They will first appear in the playlist in the order the list you're copying from is sorted - so, if your library is sorted by track name (by clicking the 'Track Name' column), your playlist will be sorted this way as well. Click on Track number to sort by track number.

I guess my question wasn't worded well. I'm not talking about a playlist that I made myself.

Rather, when I'm in album view on the ipod, and i tap my finger on an album, a list of tracks comes up for that album. If i click a song it plays that song and then all the songs after it in the order they are displayed. But the songs aren't in the original order of the album, even though I am in album view.

I'm not at my Mac to check, but I'm pretty sure that when I ripped the albums, CDDB provided track number information that got saved into the song metadata, so there's no reason that itunes can't show an album's songs in order.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
sorry to revive an old thread - I was having the same problem, but I think I figured it out.

in iTunes - select "get info" for each song -

under "options" - select "sorting"

Make sure that "Sort Name" is empty, and that "sort artist," sort album artist," and "sort album" are the same on all songs.

You'd think that the play order would relate solely to the song number, but apparently the order is related to "sorting."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.