PDA

View Full Version : Coin in my iMac cd slot

kshott
Sep 18, 2003, 11:13 AM
My 2 year old put a quarter in my Imac cd slot, and I can't seem to get it out. I've tried turning it over and shaking it out, but it didn't work. I can't even hear it rattling around in there. Any suggestions? How difficult is it to take the drive out?

reflex
Sep 18, 2003, 12:30 PM
I'd say take it back to the store if possible.

Mblazened
Sep 18, 2003, 12:49 PM
it has to be removd and the drive dismantled to get any coins out.

SilentPanda
Sep 18, 2003, 12:50 PM
Or just use a large magnet... press it against the casing and drag the magnet towards the slot from the rear...

Wait....

Don't do that...

morlium
Sep 18, 2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by SilentPanda
Or just use a large magnet... press it against the casing and drag the magnet towards the slot from the rear...

Wait....

Don't do that...

:) ... nice ....

iJon
Sep 18, 2003, 02:10 PM
what about a thin needle or something to see it is within reach. i would recommend to just taking to a reseller and have them see what they can do.

iJon

tomf87
Sep 18, 2003, 02:15 PM
Does it still work? If so, and you don't move it around a lot, just leave it alone.

It didn't give you a gumball or cheap toy for the quarter, did it? :)

Gymnut
Sep 18, 2003, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't suggest to leave it alone. I'd hate for that thing to rattle around and short something out. Like said before, take it to an Apple reseller and have them dismantle the drive and remove the cumbersome quarter. For what it's worth, your imac, whatever revision it is, is now worth 25 cents more on the resale market.

kshott
Sep 18, 2003, 02:19 PM
I doesn't work. If you try and put a cd in, it will gab it and pull it almost all the way in and get stuck. I had to get a pair of plyers to pull it out.

tomf87
Sep 18, 2003, 02:23 PM
If you are handy at dismantling the iMac, such as for putting in RAM and what not, you could remove the drive yourself.

I've never had a slot-load iMac apart before, but I have on in the office... hmm....

rainman::|:|
Sep 18, 2003, 02:59 PM
taking apart a slot-loader is not that hard actually, if you're a detail-oriented and careful person, a couple of screwdrivers is all you'll need. Getting into the CD drive itself is a bit tough, and i would not recommend that, but the metal housing has plenty of holes that you can use to slide the quarter around (if indeed it is inside the housing). I would NOT try fishing it out with a wire or anything, you are likely to damage your computer, and it won't come out anyway (the quarter would have dropped down a bit, so it needs to be lifted carefully to just the right angle).

if you'd like personal help in taking this apart, feel free to email me. i haven't taken one apart in a while, but i have certainly got experience.

best of luck--
paul

edit: clarity

bennetsaysargh
Sep 18, 2003, 02:59 PM
hmm. i know that my little brother, when we got out first computer thought the floppy drive was a bank, so we had to get it out. i cant remember though. good thing he didn't think hat the CD ROM tray wasn't a cup holder:p

i would suggest bringing it to an apple store if you can. if not, then a reseller.

applemacdude
Sep 18, 2003, 06:35 PM
My little baby brother put in floppy disc in my Beige G3's floppy drive the wrong way in. Thank god for plyers. As for the coin I would say take it to a repair shop or something. Unless you're good at tacking the imac apart ( which isnt that hard)

Macmaniac
Sep 18, 2003, 06:58 PM
Don't use the computer until you get it out, if the drive speeds up it could send the quater flying arounf in ur case casuing un-needed chaos, broken circuts, which could cause u needing a new logic board, whic would suck.
Take it to a shop, at least if they mess it up they have to pay for it.

kshott
Sep 19, 2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. I got brave and decided to take the thing apart last night. Then I got lucky. When I took the cover off, the smallest sliver of the coin was sticking out and was able to pull it right out. It had apparently gotten wedged under one of the pieces that guides the cd in, that's why it wasn't rattling around in there.

bennetsaysargh
Sep 20, 2003, 09:29 AM
glad to hear everything worked out for you:)
maybe next time you kid will put it in a vending machine:)