PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases iPhoto 7.1.1 Update

Telp
Nov 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
Just downloaded and installed the new iPhoto update, 7.1.1.

appie57
Nov 14, 2007, 03:39 PM
Downloading now, but server extremely slow....10,8 Mb

Mitthrawnuruodo
Nov 14, 2007, 03:40 PM
Not much info:
This update supports compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues.

MacRumors
Nov 14, 2007, 03:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has released an update to iPhoto 7, part of iLife '08.

iPhoto 7.1.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/iphoto711.html)
This update supports compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/14/apple-releases-iphoto-7-1-1-update/)

appie57
Nov 14, 2007, 03:55 PM
Downloading now, but server extremely slow....10,8 Mb

Got it installed. No news as far as I can see, i didn't have problems with Leopard, but more stability is always welcome:)

berkleeboy210
Nov 14, 2007, 03:58 PM
When my software update opened, I thought it was gunna be 10.5.1 oh well. I'll take this. downloaded/installed in about 2 minutes.

seems "snappier"!!!

Cybergypsy
Nov 14, 2007, 04:10 PM
Nothing new!!!!

ThatWasAwkward
Nov 14, 2007, 04:16 PM
I tried to install it and got this message:

"The update “iPhoto Update” can’t be installed.

The Installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install."

Little help?

MrCrowbar
Nov 14, 2007, 04:22 PM
Update worked fine. iPhoto loads quicker now with my over 4000 photos in it.

MrCrowbar
Nov 14, 2007, 04:25 PM

The Installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install."

Little help?

Make sure it's iLife 08 you got and it's in the Applications Folder. Maybe restart and try again.

Eidorian
Nov 14, 2007, 04:25 PM
Installed but nothing terribly interesting to report.

Heb1228
Nov 14, 2007, 04:29 PM
Installed pretty quick. Safari seems snappier.

bobber205
Nov 14, 2007, 04:31 PM
Installed pretty quick. Safari seems snappier.
Assuming your being sarcastic, someone should really make an lol cat that says "Safari is morez snappy nowz".
Or something like that. ;)

iSpud
Nov 14, 2007, 04:32 PM
When will the "snappier" comments end? Or is this just the next "Powerbook G5 next Tuesday"? I see them everywhere. It used to be funny but it jumped the shark awhile ago...

websyndicate
Nov 14, 2007, 04:34 PM
When will the "snappier" comments end? Or is this just the next "Powerbook G5 next Tuesday"? I see them everywhere. It used to be funny but it jumped the shark awhile ago...

You have to admit Safari is much Snappier.

Mindflux
Nov 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
You have to admit Safari is much Snappier.

No, Jumping the Shark is snappier now.

iSpud
Nov 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
I'll admit it...but the over excess use of snappy...it's just mind numbing :eek:

twoodcc
Nov 14, 2007, 04:47 PM
alright! the more updates, the better (usually that is). maybe 10.5.1 is just around the corner :)

mcic1984
Nov 14, 2007, 05:12 PM
the shadow has been fixed in leopard: with leopard + iphoto 7.1, the shadows lost its alpha transparency and looked really weird (even in the apple stores); now it looks just like it did in tiger.

i don't remember seeing "browse backups" in File menu either – but might be wrong on this one.

eme jota ce
Nov 14, 2007, 05:15 PM
Installed, then launched (about 6800 photos in library.) After install, iPhoto took about 45 seconds to load and display photos.

Quit, re-launched, much faster ... about 7 seconds.

kakiser56
Nov 14, 2007, 05:30 PM

Little help?

This has happened to me. Download but don't install, then install manually.

I think it is a permissions issue, that Repair Permissions fixed.

skiwhitman
Nov 14, 2007, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure what happened, but I loaded the newest update and then opened up iPhoto. All of the photos were GONE! The event titles and number of photos were there, but all of the actual pictures didn't load...... I rebooted my computer with no luck. So, with my handy-dandy Time Machine, I am now restoring the entire library - (it takes a while, I am finding out). I am never happy losing anything on my computer, but it sure cuts down on the stress level being able to click on the Time Machine button and have everything come back!
Anyone else have this issue?

Eduardo1971
Nov 14, 2007, 05:43 PM

Yeah; I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by these lame comments.

apfhex
Nov 14, 2007, 06:25 PM
Update fixed the upside down reflections in the Events view on Intel Macs. :)

terkwong
Nov 14, 2007, 06:25 PM
Just updated to iPhoto 7.1.1 on Leopard and its crashing like mad on my 24" Al iMac!!!!.. hmm... anyone having the same problem?

egsaxy
Nov 14, 2007, 06:33 PM
what where those minor issues?

lazyrighteye
Nov 14, 2007, 06:35 PM
Can anyone comment on whether or not this update addresses the iPhone & iPhoto sync issue?

My iPhoto (iLife '08) ceased recognizing my iPhone (now at 1.1.2) after there were more than ~400 pics on the iPhone - something that proved a real PITA come firmware update time, that required me to Restore the iPhone which deleted over 400 pics.

Breath not held...

drunet
Nov 14, 2007, 06:36 PM
Not sure but the issue I had was I would rotate a photo and then it would hang. I had to force quit iPhoto and reopen it.

rhoydotp
Nov 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
it does seems, for a lack of a better term, "snappier" :D

it opens/closes a little faster in my opinion

Freis968
Nov 14, 2007, 07:42 PM
Update worked fine. iPhoto loads quicker now with my over 4000 photos in it.

How about scrolling in iPhoto in the Events view? Mine is so doggone sluggish it it crazy. Did that get sped up? I have about 8,000 photos in my library connected to my external hard drive.

samh004
Nov 14, 2007, 07:52 PM
i don't remember seeing "browse backups" in File menu either – but might be wrong on this one.

That was there before.

illegalprelude
Nov 14, 2007, 08:05 PM
After I finish the download and it trys to install it " The update "iPhoto Update" can't be installed. Software update can't find the server update. Make sure your connected to the net and please try again"

im pretty sure im on the web.... :(

guh. First iWeb stops publishing. Now this. wtf. Ive already reinstalled Leopard too so i know its not that.

basiegel68
Nov 14, 2007, 08:11 PM
I too got the update error (Application not found). This happened three times (downloading via application, software update and manually). Think I will wait for another update before destroying my files/system for this update that does not seem to provide anything but trouble.

mrkgoo
Nov 14, 2007, 08:21 PM
One difference, *I think*, is that photo numbers in the album reflect total photos in that album, regardless of whether you have hidden photos viewable or not (previously, it would only show the photos that are in view -that is, if you hide photos, the numbers of photos in albums decreases by the number of hidden photos).

WICKEDfour
Nov 14, 2007, 08:53 PM
iPhoto 7.1 had a very slow response time (a minute plus) when switching back to it (that is, making it the active app after it had been running, but inactive) with my library of 13,064 items. This update has practically eliminated that annoying delay, making iPhoto 7.1.1 truly snappier™ in every sense of the word. Consider me pleased with this update! :D

tennez
Nov 14, 2007, 09:00 PM
Downloading!!
Apple also post 10.4.11!!

Sussman
Nov 14, 2007, 09:17 PM
I just updated without a problem. Haven't noticed anything new. I did time how fast it opened before/after update and there was no change. This may be due to the relatively small number of pictures I have (2,000). Still waiting for 10.5.1...

JimUrban
Nov 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
Now it can organize our photos AND...

serve up an order of nasty Nachos and a 44 oz Coca-Cola Slurpee. :D

jaypunkrawk
Nov 14, 2007, 10:58 PM
Hopefully this fixes the problem I was having when rotating images...iPhoto kept locking up...and the rotation shown on my thumbnails didn't match that shown on the full-size image. Weird!

ceriess
Nov 14, 2007, 11:43 PM
I had the same issue, and it appears to be pretty common. As soon as the iPhone was released, I bought one and activated it and promptly popped the sim out of it (just so that edge activation wouldn't occur) and went overseas for a month. I took about 680 pictures with the iPhone. When I got back, I had the problem where the iPhone was simply not responding with iPhoto. I used another application that comes with the Mac called "image capture" to take the images off the iphone, which I then dumped into iPhoto. Since that time, I haven't had more than 25 images on Camera Roll so I can't tell you if they fixed that. That sucks that you lost your photos. I would be pretty upset.

johny5
Nov 15, 2007, 03:09 AM

Lol exactly what I thought, amazing isnt it

oh wow, wait though, all my snappier apps are more snappier than before!
SNAPPYTASTIC!

skiwhitman
Nov 15, 2007, 03:32 AM
one of my photos has a little check on the the bottom right of the image in thumbnail view. It goes away when I open up that photo. I haven't noticed it before. Any idea of what it is???
I'd paste the photo but I don't know how to do it - sorry

xStep
Nov 15, 2007, 04:04 AM
one of my photos has a little check on the the bottom right of the image in thumbnail view. It goes away when I open up that photo. I haven't noticed it before. Any idea of what it is???
That seems to be a keyword you have somehow set.

Select the photo and under the Window menu select Keywords. Click on the check mark you'll see and it should disappear.

jackhawkins
Nov 15, 2007, 05:59 AM
I updated iPhoto successfully; unfortunately when I actually try to view a photo by double-clicking I see it expand to fill the screen and then the image display area goes completely black.

Watch out!

I'm going to try exporting a photo and then re-importing it to see if that "fixes" the problem.

I have 10.4.11 running on a 1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4.

Exporting a couple of photos and trying to re-import them was no good. I'll have to restore from a backup!

The exported 'photos couldn't even be opened in Preview - the system complained they were corrupt or an unrecognized type.

On my other machine (Intel Mini) with the original version of iPhoto and a copy of the same library all is well.

skeen
Nov 15, 2007, 06:34 AM
Updated with no problems whatsoever.

Quarky
Nov 15, 2007, 06:56 AM
It suddenly occurred to me that Leopard has given us the ability to create stacks but with a slight problem. By moving an application to a separate folder, i.e.. putting all photographic apps in a separate stack floder), I now have easy access to all my photo apps in one easy place, but...
Software Update can't cope with these moves and can't find the new app location. Even when you download the update manually, the app has to be moved back to the Application folder for the update to be installed.

conebbs
Nov 15, 2007, 10:32 AM
what where those minor issues?

My iPhoto would freeze up on me just viewing pictures, the update seemed to fix that. As far as I can tell. Thanks Apple.

johnmcboston
Nov 15, 2007, 10:36 AM
It suddenly occurred to me that Leopard has given us the ability to create stacks but with a slight problem. By moving an application to a separate folder, i.e.. putting all photographic apps in a separate stack floder), I now have easy access to all my photo apps in one easy place, but...
Software Update can't cope with these moves and can't find the new app location. Even when you download the update manually, the app has to be moved back to the Application folder for the update to be installed.

Interesting thought. What if you made a folder willed with aliases to your photo apps? Hows that work in Stacks?

Quarky
Nov 15, 2007, 10:39 AM
Interesting thought. What if you made a folder willed with aliases to your photo apps? Hows that work in Stacks?

I'm new to the Mac, how do you create aliases?:eek:

rustedshut
Nov 15, 2007, 10:58 AM
The only problem I had with iPhoto was when I would rotate the image then move on to the next. The app would hang until I forced it to quit. Hopefully, they fixed that.

nemaslov
Nov 15, 2007, 12:15 PM
When are they going to put back the print "N UP option." What a stupid thing to remove. Yeah I have heard complicated workarounds-sort of, but when you want to print a series of images or one image multiple times on one page or PDF, that was a great option that I used all of the time!!!. iPhoto 8 removed it! Doesn't make sense!:(

skiwhitman
Nov 15, 2007, 03:45 PM
That seems to be a keyword you have somehow set.

Select the photo and under the Window menu select Keywords. Click on the check mark you'll see and it should disappear.

Thank you - That was exactly right

I updated iPhoto successfully; unfortunately when I actually try to view a photo by double-clicking I see it expand to fill the screen and then the image display area goes completely black.

Watch out!

I'm going to try exporting a photo and then re-importing it to see if that "fixes" the problem.

I have 10.4.11 running on a 1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4.

Exporting a couple of photos and trying to re-import them was no good. I'll have to restore from a backup!

The exported 'photos couldn't even be opened in Preview - the system complained they were corrupt or an unrecognized type.

On my other machine (Intel Mini) with the original version of iPhoto and a copy of the same library all is well.

Yup, that's what happened to mine, too - I have no idea why. I've never had any problems with the updates until now. But, it sure was cool to be able to use Time Machine!!! :D:D:D

None Such
Nov 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
Assuming your being sarcastic, someone should really make an lol cat that says "Safari is morez snappy nowz".
Or something like that. ;)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/livestrongtoday/Funny%20Cats/SnapCatOnecopy.jpg

jackhawkins
Nov 16, 2007, 07:31 PM
Thank you - That was exactly right

Yup, that's what happened to mine, too - I have no idea why. I've never had any problems with the updates until now. But, it sure was cool to be able to use Time Machine!!! :D:D:D

If only I had upgraded to Leopard first! Aaaaarrrgghh!

Naturally I have a Carbon Copy of the original G4 system but what a pain in the neck.

I couldn't find a resolution. And it looks like you and I are the only people in the known Universe who've experienced the problem. I'm a little surprised - my G4 is a "work" laptop and has very little 3rd party software (basically Carbon and MSFT Office and VLC).

At the moment I'm trying to export the "Originals" from the iPhoto Library package on my Mini and build a new iPhoto Library on the G4... If that works then I'll let post here. If it doesn't I'll be *very* surprised.

MoxieFan
Nov 16, 2007, 07:40 PM
I'm using Tiger 10.4.11. Is this why all my album entries are now screwed up? The vertical images are now stretched to horizontals . . and when I highlight an image, then click 'edit' . . a different image pops up from who knows where! . . The albums are a total mess. I have been moving some images to an external drive (no problem) and recently rebooted my computer a couple times to get my HP (*&@#&$) scanner to work. Utt-ohhh . . If I did that with iPhoto open . . hmmmnn . . PL

jackhawkins
Nov 19, 2007, 05:52 PM
If only I had upgraded to Leopard first! Aaaaarrrgghh!

Naturally I have a Carbon Copy of the original G4 system but what a pain in the neck.

I couldn't find a resolution. And it looks like you and I are the only people in the known Universe who've experienced the problem. I'm a little surprised - my G4 is a "work" laptop and has very little 3rd party software (basically Carbon and MSFT Office and VLC).

At the moment I'm trying to export the "Originals" from the iPhoto Library package on my Mini and build a new iPhoto Library on the G4... If that works then I'll let post here. If it doesn't I'll be *very* surprised.

It seems that Carbon Copy either didn't back up the iPhoto Library correctly or didn't restore it... In any case - here's what I did and the result: tried restoring the system from Carbon Copy - Library was also hosed. Tried repairing permissions. - nope. Tried manually setting the permissions on the package contents - zip. Copied a working Library from another machine (Intel Mini - not sure if that matters) - no joy. Tried the cmd+option launch to rebuild thumbnails, rebuild the library etc - still no joy.

Now - you might suspect that maybe I restored a Library that was corrupt when I backed it up ... but I know it was working before the update because I had posted some 'photos to a social networking site!

I've given up and I'm doing a clean install of Leopard, iLife '08 etc. I'll try copying the working Library afterwards... Or exporting all the original 'photos and re-importing them.

What a hassle.

I hope others have better luck. Are there any other G4 owners who've tried the iPhoto 7.1.1 update? (Don't know if it's relevant but I also did the 10.4.11 update at the same time).

.adam
Nov 20, 2007, 04:41 AM
Has anybody noticed any increased responsiveness in browsing through events?

iPhoto tends to open relatively quickly on my MB Tiger, 2GB RAM but when first opened, scrolling through events is a bit jumpy (assumingly because the thumbnails need to be loaded easch time iPhoto is started?) Once they have been loaded, scolling through events is no problem as the thumbnails are cached.

Has this been 'resolved' in the latest upgrade?

P.S. I have a couple of hundred events if anyone has similar for comparison?