Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Reader mail: "There have been some rumors about a 2-button mouse. I asked [a] rep. about them. He said he was just at Apple for training on the new products (PowerBooks, G5, and Bluetooth peripherals). He was told that the rumors were false. He said that he was told, 'There will be a 2 button mouse when a) Jobs leaves Apple or b) when hell freezes over'."

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Here's hoping for a little frost in the underworld.

On the other hand, I know they do read online rumor sites, and I can only hope they saw and understood this week's landslide of disapproval.

Even Jobs changes his mind occasionally, doesn't he? Doesn't he?

Damn.

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Nice 'tude

Don't you just love Apple's customer-friendly attitude ? Apple is always right.... f*ck da customer

cosmicsoftceo

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2002
Re: Nice 'tude

Originally posted by fred
Don't you just love Apple's customer-friendly attitude ? Apple is always right.... f*ck da customer

And your attitude is lots better... f*ck the beginning user, advanced users are always right... Besides, have you done market research to see what the real, average customer thinks? Apple has, you haven't.

I don't care if you tell me that your grandmother can use a 2-button mouse. My dad still doesn't understand what the right mouse button *or* scroll wheel does, and he's been using Windows since version 3.1 at his company.

Don't get me wrong; I use a two-button mouse. I just don't find it that hard to go out and buy a $3 mouse at Staples. Apparently some do.

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Am I missing something here.

You can buy 2-button mice for macs. Is that right?

Remember: Apple don't want to forget what Apple is. They have always lost it when they imitate PC's.

Viva le diff, pls go buy a Kensington or whatever if you want wheels and buttons.

Go one button mouse, look, have drunk wine, I love you mouse, don't go changin'. Just promise you'll respect me in the morning.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yes, you can get a 2 button mouse for $20

arn

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Yeah I can buy a $20 POS (piece of sh*t) but it will be mismatched with my overpriced Apple system which, incidentally, includes Apple's single button mouse which I paid for and don't want

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Yeah I can buy a $20 POS (piece of sh*t) but it will be mismatched with my overpriced Apple system which, incidentally, includes Apple's single button mouse which I paid for and don't want

If you hate it that much go use a PC. It's not at big deal. Also for under $20 you can get a mouse that matches the Mac. Maybe not at your local PC Mart where you probably shop but you can online.

MitjaP

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2003
Why are there not four mouse models?

- wireless two button
- wireless one button
- one button
- two button

I'd take the wireless one... I don't really care if it has one or two buttons as long I have my left arm and can press ctrl....

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Moron!

Rarely do I think anyone could be this brazen about their own personal agenda. Many usability gurus believe their insight and experience is the only solution... and it seems that Jobs has convinced himself that 2 buttons are confusing.

Why?

While I will agree that one button to a computer novice must be an easier concept to grasp, it quickly has dimishing returns. The moment I understand what a single click _is_, I can begin to understand what other clicks are, and what they can do. I have a hard time believing that people in this day and age don't understand a "contextual" click. Again, we're talking about people who have grown up with computers all, or most, of their life.

Jobs has made the cardinal mistake of insisting something stay the same against all public opinion. I can't think of a single person that thinks control-clicking something is more intuitive than clicking a right mouse button. Not these days. Maybe in the days of the classic Mac... but not now. Hell, put a sticker on the right mouse button that says "option" if you're that concerned.

The metaphore of contexual commands is, in my opinion, the most important. But from a mechanical and ergonomic standpoint, which some may argue is even more important, it is easier to have a second mouse button. The only way it helps to have a single mouse button is by dispersing the pressure required for a click to multiple fingers... thus less carpal tunnel and repetitive stress problems. Aside from that, I can't think of a single good reason to stick with the single button mouse.

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
If you hate it that much go use a PC. It's not at big deal. ......

I have 2 PCs...that's not the point. My point is squarely directed at Apple's lack of resposiveness to overwhelming customer demand. You can bet your bottom dollar that Dell didn't get to be the juggernaut it did by categorically ignoring their customers in such a fashion

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Personally, I don't really care too much. While it would be nice for Jobs to wake up and at least give us a choice, it's not that big of a deal. As long as he continues to stick with one button mice only, I'll just continue to use either a Microsoft or Logitech mouse with my Mac and either give away or sell the Apple one that comes with the system.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Originally posted by MitjaP
Why are there not four mouse models?

- wireless two button
- wireless one button
- one button
- two button

I'd take the wireless one... I don't really care if it has one or two buttons as long I have my left arm and can press ctrl....

While I agree with you that more options are better to the informed consumer, Apple touts it's simplicity. There aren't a lot of configuration options in this type of are from Apple because they feel the less options, the more consitency.

For the most part, they are correct. But see my post above... I think Steve-o's potential arguements for a single button mouse are old-school thinking.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I have 2 PCs...that's not the point. My point is squarely directed at Apple's lack of resposiveness to overwhelming customer demand. You can bet your bottom dollar that Dell didn't get to be the juggernaut it did by categorically ignoring their customers in such a fashion

You can't expect a company to meet every customers demand. That's what 3rd party companies are for.

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
You can't expect a company to meet every customers demand. That's what 3rd party companies are for.

Oh really....it doesn't seem to bother Apple in the least to trample on territory of 3rd party developers or companies when it suits them (i.e. iPhoto, iTunes etc, etc)

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
They could easily make a two button mouse that behaves like one-button if you would want it to be that way...then everyone would be happy.

Not to mention the possibility if they added 3 buttons on the side, one for each expose action...hide all apps - click, show all windows - click...what a missed opportunity. @_@

P.S Does anybody know the number for maytag in hell? I have a large freezer to order.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
At least make the mouse and the terrible keyboard optional. Actually I think what's really annoying is in the Apple stores, they only have their own horrible mice plugged in, usually with no pad on a surface that results in poor, and horrible tracking. It's very hard for me to get a sense of how snappy a machine is, because I have to lift the mouse just to get the pointer to where I want it. I get irritated really easily playing with the demo machines because of it. Even with the mouse setting to fastest tracking, it's not fast enough and feels imprecise, which never happened with OS9. Right clicking and scroll wheels make the user experience so much better. Why can't they just make a friggin mouse that looks cool AND is fully functional?

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
the one button mouse is a big part of apple's history, it's kind of what apple is, easy to use and simplistic. i have little need for a two button mouse, i love my one button variety, maybe this is because i have big hands and i tend to click more on the right side of the button, a two button mouse would be rather uncomfortable for left clicking. and considering i use the right button very rarely i'm more than happy with what we get. if people really want a two button mouse, go f***ing buy an after market one, it's no big deal, they are available that match the systems so there's no reason not to. i'm glad steve is sticking to his guns and not releasing a two button mouse.

SpamJunkie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
2 button mice are NOT confusing

If two button mice were actually confusing then console controllers would be entirely unusable. The ps2 controller has 8 major buttons, 2 minor buttons, a digital direction pad and two analog mini joysticks. Yet controls for games are easy to learn.

What's really lacking in two button mice is an easy to learn presentation. The fact of the matter is that humans can't learn left and right easily. I guarantee if you stick a big blue button on one side with a big white square on it and a big red button with a big white circle on it and reference them as the square button and the curcle button there would be NO usability issues.

So the real question isn't, "why isn't Apple using two button mice?," it's, "why isn't Apple making two button mice usable?"

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Oh really....it doesn't seem to bother Apple in the least to trample on territory of 3rd party developers or companies when it suits them (i.e. iPhoto, iTunes etc, etc)

Both of your examples are pieces of software that had poor or no real presence on the Mac. There are some examples of Apple competing with 3rd party software developers but it could be said that they saw room to improve on the current products. With the mouse where is the room to improve? There are about 300 mice in the world that are perfect for one person or another and there are at least 40 of those that were made to match the Mac.

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Originally posted by evoluzione
the one button mouse is a big part of apple's history, it's kind of what apple is, easy to use and simplistic. i

LOL...simplistic is DEFINITELY the right term ...although probably not the one you wanted to use :)

It seems that Apple is still displaying the NIH (not invented here) syndrome which was so prevalent in the late 80s and early and mid 90s.... heck Microsoft is set to soon introduce a mouse that scrolls horizontally.... can you spell STONE AGE

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
http://www.macmice.com/mouse_1.html

$29.99.

It's not wireless but it'll do the trick for the people that want the Apple look and feel...

My dad just bought his first Mac (a G5... and... and... I don't live at home!) and asked me why they don't have two button mice... I asked him how often mom or the grandparents use their second mouse button... he replied... "good point".

Your "standard" home user uses the computer for waste of time games (solitaire and the like), word processing, and the internet. Non of those need a two-button mouse... scroll wheel? questionable... I think if Apple did offer multi button mice it would make the software developers try to require one...

My only thing is that if you don't want the 1 button mouse you should be able to take it off your order... I suppose you can always hock it on eBay but I'd rather not but it in the first place.

penguin

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2003
SOLUTION

Hello Apple here is the solution.
How about you just use a trackpad surface on top of the current apple mouse.

By default this would be a one button mouse for the newbies.
Power users or Windows switchers could use a control panel to activate the trackpad which would sense what half of the mouse you click on. It get's better. You could also use the trackpad as a scroll wheel or jog dial too. Or even program it to 4 or 40 buttons.

While your at it why don't you just make a wireless mouse that recharges via a USB cable. Then you could use it either way.

Ta Da. One mouse for power/newbie & wireless wired users.

PS> I got this idea after I installed Sidetrack on my laptop. Awesome.
http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.