Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
I'm getting boxes made at a local place. I chose my pantone colors and wanted Black 4C for the background. The guy is saying that this won't work because it requires 4 passes...

He is saying I should choose a different color from the pantone book.

Any suggestions? Should I have to pay more for this?

Any suggestions for a different color? I need a color that is dark brown, almost black.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Got a swatch book?

5395 is black with a hint of purple.
447 has a touch of grey.
440 has a hint of brown.

For a background I'd probably go for 5395. The others are a bit flat.

Mind you, why have you chosen a 4 colour black in the first place? Pantone Black is the pure black that comes out of the tin and is a single colour.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Got a swatch book?

5395 is black with a hint of purple.
447 has a touch of grey.
440 has a hint of brown.

For a background I'd probably go for 5395. The others are a bit flat.

Mind you, why have you chosen a 4 colour black in the first place? Pantone Black is the pure black that comes out of the tin and is a single colour.

THANK YOU very much, you'll have no idea how useful this is to me. Thank you again. There should be some sort of accolade thing on here...

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I'm getting boxes made at a local place. I chose my pantone colors and wanted Black 4C for the background. The guy is saying that this won't work because it requires 4 passes...

He is saying I should choose a different color from the pantone book.

Any suggestions? Should I have to pay more for this?

Any suggestions for a different color? I need a color that is dark brown, almost black.

So basically it WILL work he's just too lazy to do it.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
So basically it WILL work he's just too lazy to do it.

There could certainly be other considerations. Sure, he *could* do it...but it might take too long to meet the project deadline, cost a significant amount more because of the time necessary, or other things that we at MR may be unaware of. It might not be that he's just too lazy.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
There could certainly be other considerations. Sure, he *could* do it...but it might take too long to meet the project deadline, cost a significant amount more because of the time necessary, or other things that we at MR may be unaware of. It might not be that he's just too lazy.

he's probably just too lazy. do those colors really require more passes? how does that work? i just need a background on the box that is going to be very dark chocolate brown almost black. That's it. It's more complicated than i had hoped...hahaha :p

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Depending on the equipment he's using, it may end up being significantly more work to print using 4-color process. For example, I used to work at a shop that had only a couple 2-color presses, so they would run 4-color work through it twice (black and cyan, magenta and yellow).

For a look that is specifically chocolate brown, you definitely want to use a Pantone color, especially if the printer's equipment requires the paper to make more than one pass through the press. I've also found that packaging printers often prefer to use Pantone colors (even if they have to use several of them), since companies are usually very selective/picky about their packaging. Plus, there's the additional cost of plates for a 4-color build of a color that could be better and more consistently produced as a Pantone color.

Hopefully the project turns out well!

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
How is he going to 'Printing' on these box's?

This project we are working on at work, needs boxes printed too. However, we are using flat die-cut boxes, so it is super easy for us to just print on them with one of our five Large Format UV printers.

ac6789

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Miscommunication?

I might be stating the obvious, but are you sure your printer understood that you wanted the Pantone colour "Black 4C"? Which, according to my pantone book there is such a colour.

Perhaps he mis-understood and thought you wanted a "4 colour black" rather than Pantone Black 4C?

Just a thought as it seems the responses here interpreted your colour selection as a full colour black rather than a pantone.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
I might be stating the obvious, but are you sure your printer understood that you wanted the Pantone colour "Black 4C"? Which, according to my pantone book there is such a colour.

Perhaps he mis-understood and thought you wanted a "4 colour black" rather than Pantone Black 4C?

Just a thought as it seems the responses here interpreted your colour selection as a full colour black rather than a pantone.

thats the thing...i THOUGHT black 4c was a true color. The guy even helped me choose it...so he saw it right there in the book as well. Maybe it requires 4 passes? argh...who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.