PDA

View Full Version : Why Should I Continue W/ .Mac?

dxp4acu
Sep 18, 2003, 01:47 PM
As the year is running out on those of us who got .Mac last Sept./Oct., Apple has informed us that our credit cards will be billed Oct. 15 for $100.

I have been using this service for the last year, and my wife and I were wondering what others thought of it, and if we should continue our subscription. It has been good to post my pictures on (see signature. cheap plug! :)) as well as an email account. It has been very good, not necessarily great.

Any thoughts?

homeshire
Sep 18, 2003, 02:36 PM
i'm asking the same question. i'm gonna renew, but probably only inertia explains it. :rolleyes:

manzanita
Sep 18, 2003, 03:03 PM
It would be a lot cheaper to get your own domain and have it hosted on a cheap web host - that's what I did when Apple started charging. You wouldn't have the nice upload features, photo galleries, etc., but you would have a lot more control, have multiple email addresses, 10x as much space at least, run PHP/MySQL if that's your bill ... for half as much as you're paying Apple for *one* email address. I have a web host who I really like -- I'm not sure if I'm allowed to advertise their name here, but PM me if you want to know.

jayscheuerle
Sep 18, 2003, 03:36 PM
If you find a $100 on the street, consider renewing. Even then, I'd think about 4 cases of good beer instead...

Kwyjibo
Sep 18, 2003, 04:02 PM
yeah or get a domain for the website stuff and the email....i like that much better because you have less integration and more control