PDA

View Full Version : 12 or 15 Powerbook - Help me decide

friendlyghost
Sep 18, 2003, 04:08 PM
I've been waiting months for the refresh, so now I must decide:
12" or 15" ?

What I do:
Programming, writing, some design work, and then the usual internet stuff including web surfing, email, etc. Also, I'll more than likely use VirtualPC on occasion.

Reasons for 12:
I live in a city, so the 12 seems like it would be comfortable to pull out in various situations like cafes and parks and such. Seems ideal for pulling out in the cities tiny places to work.

Reasons for 15:
Nice fat screen. Not much heavier than 12, but my main concern is the form factor. Plus extra perks like the lighted keyboard (which will probably just be novelty really.)

Suggestions? Experiences?

beefcake
Sep 18, 2003, 04:58 PM
I have a 15" Tibook, and the weight is negligible, the thickness is less than the 12" and overall size is still small enough to let it be portable. If you really want to be able to cram it anywhere, get a 12", but the 15" is definitely portable enough to bring to a coffee shop.

CrackedButter
Sep 18, 2003, 05:20 PM
I have an ibook now and one of the reasons why i have ordered it, is for the 15" screen. While the 12" is nice, you can hook it up to another monitor but its still only 12" and the end of the day and it bothers me. But hey if you bought a 12" the money you will save could get you a Apple LCD for when you take it back to base.

This might suit you, but not me, i'm trying to keep everything portable for myself.

neonart
Sep 18, 2003, 10:23 PM
I agree with what several others have said at other sites. If this is going to be your only machine, then get the biggest screen, with the fastest processor you can afford.
But the fact is that these machines will not fully replace a powerful desktop like a G5 or a dual G4. If you have a desktop with a big screen, then getting the most portable machine (12") makes sense.

I've loved the 12 since it's debut, and this new one is just SO sweet! So I've ordered one!