Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
I could have sworn that this was tried a few years ago, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Does anyone else remember something like this?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well, apple will give them a free ipod or something and hop out of this. or they will fight it with this.

iJon

Attachments

• picture 6.jpg
    picture 6.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 654

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
What a bunch of friggen idiots. Suppose Apple or anybody else says you get an 80gig HD in your computer. Just because you get the computer PRE INSTALLED AND INITIALIZED with the OS and other packaged crap doesnt mean you arent getting an 80gb HD. And even if you bought a brand new blank non-initialized 80gb HD, you still dont get a full 80gb. Thats how it works. Because 1k is like 1024 bytes and so on and so forth. Somebody needs to tell these morons that you get an 80gb HD but it has **** on it.. so it wont hold all that other crap. What a bunch of **** heads.

gerardrj

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Arizona
no basis

First, the suits are for the most part agains the wrong companies. With the exception of IBM, I don't think any of those computer manufacturers makes their own drives, they purchase drives from vendors. Thos vendors decide how to specify the capacity, and it's generally accepted in the HD inustry that they no longer use base 2 math when talking about size.

Second, Apple includes, and I'd guess that most other computer manufacturers do also, a disclaimer on their specification pages and in marketing literature along the lines of "1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less". This is usually noted as a footnote wherever they mention hard disk capacity.

The suits seem to me like they'll be tossed out after a response has been filed by the companies. This is no-where near the magnitude of the 20" monitor that's only got 16" of viewable area, THAT deserved a suit.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Of course if you look at the Devices and Volumes tab in the Apple System Profiler you will see that disk and volume size information is listed in both formats as shown in the screen clipping:
diskinfo.jpg

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Not again...

This issue has been brought up in court so many times I can't even count. Even when I was doing PC phone tech support back in 1992 (shudder...) we saw the news that PC manufacturers were being sued for this.

A while ago, someone was talking about hard drive manufacturers going to "giblibytes"... anyone remember that? Giblibytes is supposed to be the "correct" conversion of bytes-to-gigabytes.

How does this work? Instead of dividing the number of bytes by 1,000,000 as they do now, they divide the number of bytes by 1,048,576 which represents gigabytes more accurately.

Therefore a 250GB byte hard drive is really a 238.42GibliByte hard drive.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
this is nuts. people cant read. its right there, and it's common friggin sense and they still dont get it..."misleading" riiiight...
ill gotten profits...LIKE WHAT?!
ATTORNEYS FEES-i should have known. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Apple among other computer companies getting sued for 'false' hard drive specs

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3470394

Computer Makers Sued Over Hard-Drive Size Claims
Thu September 18, 2003 05:00 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A group of computer owners has filed a lawsuit against some of the world's biggest makers of personal computers, claiming that their advertising deceptively overstates the true capacity of their hard drives.
The lawsuit, which seeks class action status, was filed earlier this week in Los Angeles Superior Court against Apple Computer Inc. AAPL.O , Dell Inc. DELL.O , Gateway Inc. GTW.N , Hewlett-Packard Co. HPQ.N , IBM IBM.N , Sharp Corp. 6753.T , Sony Corp. 6758.T and Toshiba Corp. 6502.T

The lawsuit brought by Los Angeles residents Lanchau Dan, Adam Selkowitz, Tim Swan and John Zahabian centers around the way that computer hard drives are described by manufacturers.

Representatives of the eight defendants were not immediately available to comment.

According to the lawsuit, computer hard drive capacities are described in promotional material in decimal notation, but the computer reads and writes data to the drives in a binary system.

The result is that a hard drive described as being 20 gigabytes would actually have only 18.6 gigabytes of readable capacity, the lawsuit said.

The plaintiffs said this difference in convention is deceptive and leaves buyers with less storage than they thought they were getting when they purchased their computers.

For example, when a consumer buys what he thinks is a 150 gigabyte hard drive, the plaintiffs said, he actually gets only 140 gigabytes of storage space. That missing 10 gigabytes, they claim, could store an extra 2,000 digitized songs or 20,000 pictures.

The lawsuit asks for an injunction against the purportedly unfair marketing practices, an order requiring the defendants to disclose their practices to the public, restitution, disgorgement of ill-gotten profits and attorneys' fees.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
it's imossible to state a true set hd size, they all vary independently so it would be pretty hard to market that :rolleyes:
instead of everyone suing everyone else for the stupidist things we should all try and inform ourselves a little better.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Its true that no two hard drives have the same capacity. But, must they give the size where 1GB = 1000 MB instead of the true 1GB = 1024MB. Its the way it should be, or place an astrisk next to the size number and state somewhere that its an estmated size. Also, its the exact opposite when you talk RAM size. The actual size is larger then the advertized size.

TEG

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
They won't win. A 750cc motorcycle engine is often only 742cc or whatever. It is perfectly acceptable for companies to round up a number as long as it is not grossly misleading, in this case it is not.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Well, also, in essence they are not lying. But this is an issue that kind of sucks, though I don't think the blame should be placed on the computer manufacturers. If anyone is to blame, it's the hard drive manufacturers, because that's where the discrepancy begins.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
This was brought up at another forum I visit and some one brought up an interesting point. The HDD manufacturers are correct, it's the computers/software thats wrong. Mega is a prefix meaning thousand so a megabyte is literally 1000 bytes. But when it comes to software/computers one megabyte is 1024 bytes which is incorrect/a misnomer.

Lethal

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Throw them out of the courts

An 80 GB drive will really have 80 GB if it stays un-formatted so an argument could be made that manufacturers are indeed telling the truth on the packaging.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I'm looking at a G5 pamphlet I picked up at CompUSA the other day. On the spec sheet it says "80GB Serial ATA" with a superscript '5' next to it. If you look up the note inside for number 5 it says "5: 1GB=1 billion bytes, actual formatted capacity less" Thus Apple is telling you right up front that the actual capacity is less. Always read the fine print before suing someone.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hmmm...

Didn't similar people sue computer companies and display manufacturers on display size.

Doesn't...
Display

* Built-in 17-inch flat CRT (16-inch diagonal viewable image size); 0.25-mm dot pitch
...satisfy the details of the lawsuit.

So if the say...
Storage

* 40GB, 60GB or 80GB Ultra ATA hard disk drive (2)

2. 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
...that it would satisfy any similar lawsuit.

Who are they gonna sue next, the builders of the Hoover Dam?

For improperly labeling how much water it'll hold, since the "exact" capacity is constantly in flux. As is the "current" amount.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I swear, people are just idiots. Isn't it common knowledge that it is not going to be an *exact* number? By next they will sue for saying the 4 advertised hours of battery life only gets 3.7 hours.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I'm going to sue colleges over the use of E=MC2. It's really confusing because E doesn't mean the letter 'e' but it stands for some sort of energy or something.

They're trying to trick me!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
really you would do better by suing over the term "c," since i think some scientists manages to slow down some photons. the speed of light may actually vary in those circumstances, so the formula is faulty.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Good, I doubt they will win but maybe it will convince the HD makers to use 1024 instead of 1000, or not screw us out of a few gigs for "formatting"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.