Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I downloaded and Purchased iPhone Drive the other day.... and it doesn't give you access to your Applications or any files on your iPod drive but, I did notice that if you copy over the file called "disk" to your hard drive and rename it to "disk.dmg" you can access all the files on your iPod, modify them, then copy it back to the iPod without the .dmg extension. Did anyone else know they could do this?

Edit: Apparently it doesn't work. I deleted an App and copied the "disk" file back and all my Apps were still on the iPod after reboot. Drats. Does this mean I can just delete "disk" and save some drive space?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Here's iPhone drive: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/iphonedrive/

Apparently that "disk" file does nothing at all because I deleted it and rebooted and my iPod is still working fine. It's a 300MB file but, after I deleted it, nothing changed... I still have the same amount of space left on my iPod so I think it was a symbolic link to my disk and not actually my disk. So I guess now that I deleted it, I no longer have access to my disk from iPhone Drive. Damnit. How do I get it back?

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
It's left over from the 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2 jailbreak.

I guess you forgot to uninstall oktoprep after upgrading?

The 'disk' file is actually a device node for the root device - that's how you jailbreak 1.1.2. You can copy it over, modify it, copy it back if you like... however it's not recommended on an already jailbroken device. This is because the root device is mounted read/write, and directly modifying a device mounted read/write is really not a good idea (*really* not a good idea as any unix admin that's been tempted to do this will tell you). No really, don't do it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.