Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reekooz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Hey guys i am mac newbie, I tried to install windows on my mac the other day using bootcamp everything went smooth i made 13 GB partition for windows since i am not gonna use it that much. I start installing windows xp pro sp2 everything was good till the end. I restart my computer and pressed opt/alt key so i can choose to reboot between partition nothing shows up just the icon for the windows cd. i took the cd out and tried to reboot it again just gray screen shows up :(. I googled the problem couldn't find anything so i though what if insert the leopard cd and try to install it again might work, I inserted OS X leopard and tried to reinstall it when I had to choose the which hard desk the leopard to be installed nothing shows up:( i tried this again nothing happened. is there anyway to fix the problem? and i wanna know if i can recover or backup my files coz they are alot of my school work that need in the future :( thanks in advance

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
you could try resetting the pram by holding down cmd+opt+p+r on boot as this stores the startup drive.

What happens if you try booting with no disk in there, Have you tried leaving it for a little while e.g. a couple of minutes.

Reekooz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
you could try resetting the pram by holding down cmd+opt+p+r on boot as this stores the startup drive.

What happens if you try booting with no disk in there, Have you tried leaving it for a little while e.g. a couple of minutes.

hey xUKHCx
I tried all the reboot commands nothing shows up what made the problem worse the gray screen keep crashing too :confused: for example when press opt/alt to choose drive or cd the icons show up in the grey screen but computer crash in few seconds :(. I think my problem way bigger than i thought it would be. thanks

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
crashing on the grey screen? How does this present itself.

It does sound like it could be quite serious, I have never heard of this crashing on the grey screen before.

This page documents the boot sequence for intel macs http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303363

From what you are saying it doesn't sound good. But hopefully someone else on here has had this problem before and will chime in. Thats a point, do you get the hardware test chime that happens on startup, if not it could be hardware related. In all honesty if no one else replies then I would call apple and tell them what is happening, or if you ive near a store book it in for a "genius" to see it happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.