PDA

View Full Version : Case Debate - Reflect Vs Griffin Elan Convertible

milszils
Nov 16, 2007, 04:46 AM
I want a case for my iPod but am torn with which one...
Forget price, I want your experiences. I do like the Griffin Elan Convertible but I'm not sure how steardy it is, and how stiff the case is. I don't want something too flimst, and also does the leather flap stick with magnets?

Can you post some pictures please?

Thanks in advance...
milszils

andybno1
Nov 16, 2007, 07:26 AM
Griffon Reflect: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/reflectipod

http://www.griffintechnology.com/images/assets/headers/0000/1727/reflectipod_1.jpg?1193690773

Tough protection that reflects well on you.

Reflect cases are durable polycarbonate shells that present a seamless, mirrored-chrome reflective face to the world -- until you wake up your player, and the bright, clear screen shows through the chrome as if by magic.

Reflect is now available in sizes for the 2nd & 3rd generations of iPod nano, as well as iPod classic and iPod with video.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elan Convertible: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elanconvertible

http://www.griffintechnology.com/images/assets/headers/0000/0544/elanconvertible_1.jpg

It's drop-top style for your iPod.

Removable flipcover and microfiber lining protect your iPod’s click wheel or touch screen. Removable clip lets you carry your iPod on your belt or shoulder strap or slip it into your pocket. Includes static peel screen protector and premium cleaning cloth. All Elan Convertible cases are made of top-grain leather except silver (high-tech synthetic).

Top-grain leather outer case
Soft microfiber lining and clear screen protector guard against scratches, but are sensitive enough to allow clickwheel control.
Removable belt clip for bag, belt or briefcase
Removable flipcover reverses to serve as a built-in stand

iShak
Nov 16, 2007, 07:52 AM
neither ..

.. the first one obviously has some reflective coating that means it will definitely take something away from the brilliant ipod display .. while the second one has that horrible front flap filled with god knows what ....both suck big time.

I would never ruin all the hard work done by Apple engineers to make my iPod thin and light by carrying it inside one of these abominations ..

give me a 5/5.5G sleeve for ipod touch (leather would be nice .. but not too thick) and that'll make my day ...

milszils
Nov 16, 2007, 07:56 AM
neither ..

.. the first one obviously has some reflective coating that means it will definitely take something away from the brilliant ipod display

the reflect doesnt cover the screen

tjp888
Nov 16, 2007, 08:54 AM
I have the Reflect. I've been using it for about 2 weeks.
It does a decent job of protecting the iPod case from scratches. The Touch isn't much bigger with the case.
The case comes with a clear screen protector. I haven't applied this as I've heard they are't as smooth and increase the friction when using motions.

The biggest advantage with the Reflect is the slightly rubberized back plate. Much easier to hold, and less likely to slip from your hands.

ChrisBrightwell
Nov 16, 2007, 10:45 AM
I have the Griffin iClear (very similar to the Reflect) and am pretty happy with it, overall.

Stang68
Nov 16, 2007, 11:17 AM
the flap on the convertible is removable. But I suggest the DLO Action jacket.

Pared
Nov 17, 2007, 05:38 PM
neither ..

.. the first one obviously has some reflective coating that means it will definitely take something away from the brilliant ipod display .. while the second one has that horrible front flap filled with god knows what ....both suck big time.

I would never ruin all the hard work done by Apple engineers to make my iPod thin and light by carrying it inside one of these abominations ..

give me a 5/5.5G sleeve for ipod touch (leather would be nice .. but not too thick) and that'll make my day ...

Great response based on speculation. Always avoid these uninformed posts.

I have actually seen both and it really depends what you want. I have the Reflect and I love it but I like my co-workers Elan C. as well. It depends on whether or not you're concerned with covering the screen.

If you have a screen protector you would be ok with the Reflect. It's very eye-catching and actually draws more attention to your device than without the case. The Elan is a very nice PDA-styled leather case although it does hide the beauty of your device. The fact it flips down is big as that may be a deciding factor for you.

milszils
Nov 18, 2007, 04:40 AM
Great response based on speculation. Always avoid these uninformed posts.

I have actually seen both and it really depends what you want. I have the Reflect and I love it but I like my co-workers Elan C. as well. It depends on whether or not you're concerned with covering the screen.

If you have a screen protector you would be ok with the Reflect. It's very eye-catching and actually draws more attention to your device than without the case. The Elan is a very nice PDA-styled leather case although it does hide the beauty of your device. The fact it flips down is big as that may be a deciding factor for you.

are there any good leather flip cases that flip at the side? Also do u use the screen protecter that came with the reflect, as i heard it isn't that good? thanks

natezire71
Nov 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
GET THE REFLECT!!! ITS THE BEST CASE EVER!!I love the size of it, and how the back is a grip. Its beatiful.(speeled that wrong)Oh, and I used the screen protector. I didn't get it on perfect, but as long as the actual screen part of the protector is on, your in the clear. I still have air bubbles near the top and near the home button. I dont really care though, because with the case on, you can't see them.

Jasonbot
Nov 19, 2007, 01:45 PM
I just have some anti static sheets that keep mine safe from scratches, i love them!

gowanis
Nov 20, 2007, 02:14 PM
If you are looking for a flip-case I highly recommend the DLO HipCase:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8577569&st=dlo+ipod+touch+&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1190411436258

It is well made and sturdy. The flip stays closed nicely with small magnets. I am very satisfied with it.

They also have a fancy one that comes with an iTunes gift card:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8524992&st=dlo+ipod+touch+&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1192233007562

soulstruck
Nov 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
GET THE REFLECT!!! ITS THE BEST CASE EVER!!I love the size of it, and how the back is a grip. Its beatiful.(speeled that wrong)Oh, and I used the screen protector. I didn't get it on perfect, but as long as the actual screen part of the protector is on, your in the clear. I still have air bubbles near the top and near the home button. I dont really care though, because with the case on, you can't see them.

I agree, I love the back grip cover! :)

The front gets scratched easily... I should be more careful.

Pared
Jan 16, 2008, 10:32 AM
are there any good leather flip cases that flip at the side? Also do u use the screen protecter that came with the reflect, as i heard it isn't that good? thanks

Not sure about sideflip leather cases but a wonderful screen protector that I use is made by Boxwave. Look up the crystal clear... it's phenomenal.

On a side note, I've ditched my Reflect for a Capsule by SwitchEasy... in white... and it is easily the best case I've used for the touch. EASILY.

I highly suggest you guys check it out.

quicklook2
Jan 16, 2008, 11:19 AM
i tried different ones and kept the griffin converible.

it is perfect for me.

anyone trying cases should try a few and than decide.

IgnatiusTheKing
Jan 16, 2008, 11:52 AM
Anyone have this one (http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/protective-cover-cl56138/1)? I kind of like the idea of a rubberized edge to protect it if I drop it.

http://www.goincase.com/products/images/CL56138/detail/black1.jpg

stockcerts
Jan 16, 2008, 03:19 PM
I just ordered the IClear this morning.

megatronbomb
Jan 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
I just got my Touch today, but I bought a Griffin Reflect a few nights ago at the Apple Store (got the last one). It's nice, looks good, feels good, the rubberized coating on the back gives it a little "grip" in your hand. I wonder how it'll hold up to a fall though... I'm thinking not too well. But for normal stuff it'll be fine.

That rubberized case looks hot! I just saw one in Office Depot (same price).