PDA

View Full Version : how cool is the optical keyboard?

andyjamesnelson
Sep 19, 2003, 07:49 AM
hey i just ordered the 1.25 15inch PB..:) and i was wondering how usefull the optical keyboard is? how well it works etc? the keys dont look see-through so were does the light come form ? let me know your opinion if u have used one,,thanks andy

MacUser1
Sep 19, 2003, 08:10 AM
optical keyboard? i think you mean illuminated keyboard? if that's what you mean, i would like to know too. my 1.25GHz PowerBook is already on its way:D

andyjamesnelson
Sep 19, 2003, 08:22 AM
ok..i'm prety sure i have heard of it being called an optical keyboard ..Full size, illuminated with ambient light sensor will do ") anyway how well do this work? some people have said that its a joke because the screen illuminates the keys already..? anyway please let me know your expereinces with them..

Powerbook G5
Sep 19, 2003, 08:58 AM
It shines through the keys because the letters are laser-etched so the light shines through the letters of each key from what I understand.

Spock
Sep 19, 2003, 09:17 AM
It looks cool, do not question Apple Computer.

WinterMute
Sep 19, 2003, 10:56 AM
It's a good feature if you do a lot of work in semi-dark or complete blackout, the screen dims down in response to lowering the light levels so as not to glare you out, and at a certain point the letters on the keys begin to glow white.

I find it reasonably useful occasionally, but it's not a major feature. Makes the PC crowd green though:D

Kwyjibo
Sep 19, 2003, 10:57 AM
not to nit pick but its not a full size keyboard...i've never heard the term optical either in reference to the pb kb

LimeLite
Sep 19, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
not to nit pick but its not a full size keyboard...i've never heard the term optical either in reference to the pb kb
Are you telling me that the non-illuminated keyboards are full size but the illuminated ones aren't? Because at the online store, in the powerbook section, they state either "full size" or "illuminated" as the two different kinds.