PDA

View Full Version : how to run 2 comps off 1 keyboard and mouse simultaneously?

jkaz
Nov 16, 2007, 10:09 AM
i need a kvm type setup that will allow me to use 1 keyboard and mouse on two comps with their own monitors.

so when i type in a key command it goes to both computers at same time.

also, would like to be able to switch to solo with ease.

anyone know anything??

i want this for my wow accounts!

Maclarny
Nov 16, 2007, 10:15 AM
I use this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107417) at work and it does the trick just fine. The Newegg reviews claim unreliability but, in my experience, it has worked just fine.

jkaz
Nov 16, 2007, 10:20 AM
thx for the input...

is this a "one or the other" or can i have two computers with their own monitors being run simultaneously from one keyboard and mouse?

i haven't worked with kvm's in a long time!!

thanks!

Maclarny
Nov 16, 2007, 10:43 AM
Ah, this one is just one monitor, keyboard, and mouse; if you're going to have two individual monitors, one for each computer, you really should just pickup an extra keyboard and mouse; you can find both for really cheap, nowadays.

Squareball
Nov 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
This almost does what you want. It's software that works kind of like a KVM but yeah it doesn't send the input to both screens... just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone else who might come upon this thread just in case it solves someone's need

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

midtoad
Nov 16, 2007, 11:19 AM
As Squareball mentioned, Synergy is the solution you're looking for. You can set it up with the two monitors side by each, and configure things so that moving the mouse off the right side of the left PC's monitor will then display it on the right monitor and all keystrokes will be received by the right PC.

What the hell are you doing playing more than one WoW session at once anyway? :eek:

jkaz
Nov 16, 2007, 11:38 AM
What the hell are you doing playing more than one WoW session at once anyway? :eek:

hehe, i play from work and i own two accounts, and i'm starting up some horde! might as well level two at once, and i've checked with gm's, as long as i own the accounts, and i'm the only one playing them, they don't really care if i play them both at once :cool:

jkaz
Nov 16, 2007, 11:46 AM
checking out synergy, the download and install are a little bit different than what i'm used to... anyone have tips?

thanks!

FearedBliss
Nov 25, 2007, 02:16 PM
I got this off Chris Pirillo's Videos.

If you want to manage 2 Mac computers, Use Teleport.
If your main computer is a Windows machine, you can use Win2VNC which will work on windows and then control other computers .. even a Mac.

jkaz
Nov 26, 2007, 08:58 AM
thank you very much for the link, took me 3 minutes to get it running!

now i need to find a way to give simultaneous keyboard commands to both computers.

any ideas ?

thanks!