Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacUser.co.uk reports that Kodak has launched Ofoto in the UK. The european service can be found at http://www.ofoto.co.uk/

Apple's iPhoto uses Kodak's services to fulfill their photo print and album service in the U.S. While previous rumors suggest that Apple is still working on establishing European iPhoto services based on Ofoto, MacUser.co.uk claims that this is highly unlikely.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
OK so where exactly would the 'legal problems' we hear so much about with a European iTMS be with this?

If Apple doesn't extend it's iPhoto printing facility to outside the US when it's EXISTING PARTNER is already operating a service outside the US then we must assume that Apple simply can't be bothered.

We'll see who's right :rolleyes:

grahams

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2003
Glasgow, UK
Unbelieveable

If it's true that iPhoto print ordering will NEVER be available to European users, then this is appalling treatment by Apple. We've already waited 2 years and Apple executives have publicly commented that they were working on a solution.

This is pathetic! Let's hope the iTMS for Europe won't suffer the same fate. I'm much less hopeful now.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
It appears that Apple have little excuses not to offer European iPhoto service.

If this is not offered, then this really does confirm that Apple do not care about International sales. Moreover, Apple deserve to lose all its market share outside the US borders. IF Apple don't make the effort, then they don't deserve a market.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Ofoto launched in Europe

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacUser.co.uk reports that Kodak has launched Ofoto in the UK. The european service can be found at http://www.ofoto.co.uk/

Apple's iPhoto uses Kodak's services to fulfill their photo print and album service in the U.S. While previous rumors suggest that Apple is still working on establishing European iPhoto services based on Ofoto, MacUser.co.uk claims that this is highly unlikely.

This highlights as well the annoying lack of ofoto software for uploading photos in OS X

jkhanson

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Re: Re: Ofoto launched in Europe

Originally posted by Le Big Mac
This highlights as well the annoying lack of ofoto software for uploading photos in OS X

Hmm? Isn't that what iPhoto does? As the first post says, "Apple's iPhoto uses Kodak's services to fulfill their photo print and album service in the U.S." I've used it and have been very happy with how easy it is.

Edit: Okay, I just checked the prices and now see that uploading to Ofoto directly would be a bit cheaper per print (a lot cheaper for 4x6's with the current sale they are running). No special sale price through iPhoto. :mad:

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Ofoto launched in Europe

Originally posted by jkhanson
Okay, I just checked the prices and now see that uploading to Ofoto directly would be a bit cheaper per print (a lot cheaper for 4x6's with the current sale they are running). No special sale price through iPhoto. :mad:

iPhoto is really expensive for 4x6's. You can get half-price at WalMart, and nearly that at a real lab like Adorama.

The iPhoto software is, of course, the best there is.

iPhoto does have good pricing on large prints, and for the books I think they're the only game in town (and they are *really* nice - except for the Mac advertising inside back cover - how boorish).

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I fell sorry for the european Mac users, I hope Apple will find some way of meeting their needs soon.

I have still to order an album though Kodak, but I would like to see more options, prints on both sides of the paper, different lay out etc. Right now I do my own high end printing, but I would like to make albums.

Have anybody tried Sony's Image Station ? Maybe their service is better than Kodak's ?

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Re: Unbelieveable

Originally posted by grahams
If it's true that iPhoto print ordering will NEVER be available to European users, then this is appalling treatment by Apple. We've already waited 2 years and Apple executives have publicly commented that they were working on a solution.

This is pathetic! Let's hope the iTMS for Europe won't suffer the same fate. I'm much less hopeful now.

Worry not grasshopper, Apple is a US company, why should they give a **** about countries outside of the USA, let's face it the US government doesn't, other than as an impact on oil prices, so why should they.

As a long time buyer of Apple goods (15 years), and continueing to do so, I am not happy. But will continue to pay twice as much for half as much because it is still twice as much value compared to the competitors.

FYI. I work for a US based company, and they don't suffer from the US centric issues that Apple suffer from, and I see no reason why Apple should in this day and age either (iTunes excluded, which is not Apples fault).

The question then becomes, is Apple a US company that deigns to sell some of their products overseas or is it a true multi-national, at the moment the former is the truth. Should they become the latter? I think they should, maybe they think not. Maybe the US market is enough for their ambitions, no point looking for too much a?

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I don't know how many Mac users there are outside USA. but if it was a huge market, I'm sure they would do more. It's probably a case of Apple having to choose their battles. Right now the most important thing to to get the american based pro market to stick with Mac's.
But they should try harder in Europe and elsewhere, I agree with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.