Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacNN publishes a reader report on a Steve Jobs interview in France.

The reader summarizes what they felt was the most interesting part, which provides Jobs' answer to "When will you bring the [iTunes Music Store] to Europe".

Jobs' answer cites the European music licensing market as the reason for the delay. Each country may have a different companies handling distribution, making the process "very complicated".

The European Music Store is still expected early next year, as previously reported.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
#1 the link is dead or maybe by the time I am done posting this it will be up therefore making me look like an idiot.

#2 I think this is great for Apple. IMHO the time doesn't matter because lets face it. There isn't anyone who can do what Apple is doing. As soon as Apple releases the PC iTMS they can relax and take there time to get it right because no one else can get it right :)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
The sooner Apple gets iTMS availible to windows users and people outside the US the better. It's the best "trojan horse" since Odysseus started the genre.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
Originally posted by Sayhey
The sooner Apple gets iTMS availible to windows users and people outside the US the better. It's the best "trojan horse" since Odysseus started the genre.
Nice post....That has to be the most short and intelligent post I've read in a while...:)

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
I don't know much about economics but isn't globalisation supposed to deal with all these problems?

thank you
MaT

singletrack

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
What's stopping him doing it country by country though?

That's what ODS and emusic have been doing.

gerardrj

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Arizona
Already answered

Originally posted by singletrack
What's stopping him doing it country by country though?

That's what ODS and emusic have been doing.

Because Apple want's "one size fits all" licenensing rights for the music. They don't want to start this "you can burn this album 2 times in Belgum, but 5 times in Denmark".They wany blanket rights just like in the U.S.
Since there are dozens different distributors in Europe, that's doznes contracts to negotiate, with no economies of scale.

We all know that Apple (at least under Jobs' control) would rather NOT do something, than do it poorly or piecemeal. (well, except for OS X 10.0)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.