PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Headset?

Daner3
Sep 19, 2003, 01:42 PM
Hey All,

I have been a longtime user of the spoken user interface and would like to control my mac by way of a bluetooth headset. I read awhile back about a bluetooth headset (sorry no link) from IOGEAR. I have been to their site and find no mention of one. I was wondering in anyone has seen or heard or any bluetooth headsets I can use with Jaguar.

As a side note I hear there is a new voice VIKKI (i think) and some improvements in the speech interface in the latest Panther builds. Can anyone confirm this?

Daner3
Sep 19, 2003, 02:01 PM
Am I the only one who uses voice commands?

Ryan1524
Sep 19, 2003, 02:06 PM
for BT headsets, stick to these ones:

Nextlink BlueSpoon
Sony Ericsson HBH-35 or HBH-60
Nokia HDW-2

these are my 3 favorites

also check out www.howardforums.com it's a cellphone forum, but there are tons of informations about BT headsets as well. ow and check out www.howardchui.com for his latest comprehensive review of about 6 BT headsets. :)

oh btw, i never heard about an IOGear BT headset. but they do make BT adapters.

ScottDodson
Sep 19, 2003, 02:22 PM
Also look into Jabra (http://www.jabra.com/) and Anycom (http://www.anycom.com)

patrick0brien
Sep 19, 2003, 03:49 PM
-Daner3

I have a Jabra BT200 I use with my Nokia 3650. I've tried to do what you suggest. Unfortunately the headset doesn't work this way.

1) It can only be paired to one device (your phone). If you pair it to your computer - it will pair - but then it won't work with your computer. This is unlike computers and phone which can be store several pairing profiles at once - the 3650 paired with the headset and computer, for example.

2) My mac can't figgure out what to do with the headset once paired - it recognizes that it's an audio device, but I don't think it can tell the difference between incoming and outgoing audio signals. So it plain doesn't work.

I can only assume the same is true with the other BT headsets.

Daner3
Sep 19, 2003, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, (I love the mac community)

patrickOBrian - I wonder how to change the imput device to bluetooth, I know audio line in and usb microphone are there in system preferences. I have never noticed any settings to select a bluetooth device as an input device. I guess you need a bluetooth adapter to make the bluetooth preferences show.

I'd love to walk aroud the house and change songs in iTunes and talk in iChat.

Voice commands rock!

Has anyone messed with the speech in Panther?

patrick0brien
Sep 20, 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Daner3
I wonder how to change the imput device to bluetooth..

-Daner3

That's precicely the issue. The Mac isn't ready for the BT headset.