PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth compatibility

Draft
Sep 19, 2003, 04:48 PM
Today, I finally replaced my aging cell phone and contract with a Nokia 3650 & T-Mobile service. When I get the phone, I'd like to connect it to my Powermac using bluetooth. I've seen a ton of USB bluetooth adapters on the market. Are all of the available adapters compatible with Jaguar? Do any of them require drivers to get them to work with 10.2? Also, are there any advantages to getting any one over the other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Draft

crazzyeddie
Sep 19, 2003, 05:14 PM
The D-link bluetooth adaptor is probably your best bet, since thats what apple sells as well. I've seem them for as little as $35

hulugu
Sep 19, 2003, 06:00 PM
"Do any of them require drivers to get them to work with 10.2? Also, are there any advantages to getting any one over the other?"

According to the Apple Store their new BT keyboard requires the D-Link DBT-120.

Requires a Bluetooth enabled Macintosh (either built-in or using the qualified D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter (older D-Link DWB-120M adapters are not supported). Mac OS X, v10.2.6 or higher required.

I have it, BTW and it works well with my T610.

Draft
Sep 20, 2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
The D-link bluetooth adaptor is probably your best bet, since thats what apple sells as well. I've seem them for as little as $35

You have? The lowest price that I've seen is $40 at TigerDirect.com.

Draft
Sep 20, 2003, 10:29 AM
I ended up going with the D-Link from Amazon for $41. When I get this and my phone, I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks,
Draft

crees!
Sep 20, 2003, 12:11 PM
I'm looking in to getting the Moto T730 phone. Apple posts that the previous model T720 is compatable with iSync. So I'm assuming, if the way data is stored is the same, that the newer model will work with iSync as well.

Question is, can you buy ANY bluetooth adapter that has the right connector for your phone and will it work? I see some of you have bought the D-Link BT adapter. Wasn't sure if I _had_ to buy a Moto adapter.

crazzyeddie
Sep 20, 2003, 12:16 PM
$36 D-Link adaptor (the one Apple sells and requires) (http://shopper.cnet.com/D_Link_PersonalAir_DBT_120/4014-3251_9-20280948.html?q=)

Looks like your best buy is to get the $39 one with free shipping.

crees!
Sep 20, 2003, 12:25 PM
I was just thinking.. there isn't a USB port on these phones is there? So how could you use a USB adapter?

*about to be flamed for being an idiot* :D

crazzyeddie
Sep 20, 2003, 01:04 PM
Well I half way misread his post... You cannot add Bluetooth to a phone, unless (easy answer) its a PDA/Cell Phone.

That adaptor is for a PC or Mac with USB.

crees!
Sep 20, 2003, 01:33 PM
Welp, I just read where you don't have to have bluetooth to use iSync for some phones. Now I just need to find the proper data cable for the T730, which shouldn't be too hard. Hopefully the T730 will be added to the next update of iSync.