PDA

View Full Version : Airport card slot?

Draft
Sep 19, 2003, 04:53 PM
I own a Powermac with a Airport card slot built right into it. Is this a proprietary card slot, only built to fit an airport card? Or is it a PCMCIA card slot that can fit any card of this type? Also, if it is an ordinary PC card slot, can it handle a 802.11g card?

Thanks,
Draft

crazzyeddie
Sep 19, 2003, 05:11 PM
Proprietary slot... you cannot use PCMCIA cards...

benixau
Sep 19, 2003, 05:28 PM
actually it is not proprietary. It is just mini-PCI. You dont normally have access to this on a wintel notebook (desktops in the wintel worl use USB or PCI) and it needs the manufacturer to install them (the intel wireless PRO card needed to make a notebook Centrino is a mini-PCI). Apple lets you do it cause we are dumb mac uses who dont know how do do anything with our computers ....... you get the idea - whose stupid now

Frohickey
Sep 19, 2003, 08:02 PM
The G4s had a PCMCIA-style slot, which shared the same Airport card as used on the PCMCIA slot on Powerbooks. The G4s slot is NOT a full-PCMCIA slot though, only for Airport cards.

Airport Extreme cards are a special type of slot, and these are what the G5s have.

benixau
Sep 19, 2003, 09:03 PM
as i said; mini-PCI. It is an industry standard. Yes the original AirPort was a slightly modified CardBus (or PCMCIA) slot. The following macs use AP-X and hence a mini-PCI slot. All others with AirPort use the original:

PowerMac G5 (all)
PowerMac G4 (FW800 only, NOT MDD)
PowerBook 12" (all)
PowerBook 15.2" (Aluminium only)
PowerBook 17" (all)
iMac (>=1Ghz)
eMac (current range)

If i left something out, please PM me and i will edit it in.