Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I just want to know, is this an issue everyone is having or just a few of us?

According to the Boot Camp Guide, Pressing Fn + Delete (aka backspace) is supposed to be the same as the Delete key (aka forward delete) in windows. This simply does not work.

Also, pressing F11 is supposed to be the same as PrintScreen, which also doesn't work. I don't see how it would anyways, since it's pre-assigned in many applications, such as in web browsers, it's supposed to make the window go full-screen.

I'm running BootCamp 2.0 on a Santa Rosa MacBook 2.2GHz.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
i'm running boot camp 2.0... did a clean install of leopard and installed windows xp pro sp2 via boot camp then installed drivers from leopard dvd

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Webgoat, could you do me a huge favor? Could you tell me what your keyboard shows up as in the Device Manager in Windows? On my MacBook, the keyboard shows up as "HID Keyboard Device" which uses a standard driver provided by Microsoft. I'm guessing that maybe yours will have a Mac driver since it's working? It would really help me get down to the bottom of this if you could do this for me. Thanks.

EDIT: Well actually "Apple Keyboard" shows up under "Human Interface Devices." In fact, it shows up twice in a row.

After close inspection of the keyboard shortcuts, I think I know what's going on. By comparing the shortcuts for the built-in macbook keyboard and the external USB mac keyboard shortcuts, it appears that Windows thinks that I'm using an external USB keyboard. Or at least my shortcuts are mapped out that way. I have no idea how I could fix that.

solmaker

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Red Sox, the PRECISE SAME THING happened to me as to you - I installed Boot Camp 2.0 with XP Home SP2 on a new Santa Rosa MB 2.2GHz. Everything works perfectly (even Fn + Return emulates the Insert key), but Fn + Delete totally fails to do a Forward Delete under Boot Camp. I posted to the MacNN forum and got a single reply suggesting that I reinstall the Boot Camp drivers, but I don't know why that would be worth doing (reinstalling the precise same drivers immediately after a clean install). I wonder what is different between Webgoat's system which works and ours that doesn't.

Is there a good place to report this bug to Apple? Should the support forum at Apple.com be used for that purpose?

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Red Sox, the PRECISE SAME THING happened to me as to you - I installed Boot Camp 2.0 with XP Home SP2 on a new Santa Rosa MB 2.2GHz. Everything works perfectly (even Fn + Return emulates the Insert key), but Fn + Delete totally fails to do a Forward Delete under Boot Camp. I posted to the MacNN forum and got a single reply suggesting that I reinstall the Boot Camp drivers, but I don't know why that would be worth doing (reinstalling the precise same drivers immediately after a clean install). I wonder what is different between Webgoat's system which works and ours that doesn't.

Is there a good place to report this bug to Apple? Should the support forum at Apple.com be used for that purpose?

Don't waste your time on the apple forums. Totally worthless, no help at all. I tried calling apple about this problem and the guy was a total jerk. He kept telling me that they won't provide me help with anything windows related, even though its totally an apple/boot camp problem.

tommyff

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
Macbook

Exact same problem here. In addition, wireless adapter did not work in Windows with WEP encoding, but switched it off at Linksys base station, the Macbook joined the network - then put the password on and it was happy to take a password and use it second time around. Bizarre. Would be good if Apple could fix the delete bug. Mine is also a new 2.2 GHz Macbook.

Pilaco

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
That's odd. I'm not sure why, but all of my "fn" keys don't work. even fn+up does not do page up, and fn+home doesn't do home. That kind of stuff. I need those keys to play Maple Story (Lol). If anyone could help me out, that'd be great. :p

TychoBrahe

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
Add another to the "me too" list. Pressing Fn + Delete (aka backspace) doesn't work in XP. AFAIK everything else does. I hope they fix it somehow.

JonnyBowley

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
This still appears to be an issue. I just received my MacBook 2.2 SR and it won't delete with Fn + Backspace either. It's really annoying. Maybe updated drivers would help?

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I just want to know, is this an issue everyone is having or just a few of us?

According to the Boot Camp Guide, Pressing Fn + Delete (aka backspace) is supposed to be the same as the Delete key (aka forward delete) in windows. This simply does not work.

Also, pressing F11 is supposed to be the same as PrintScreen, which also doesn't work. I don't see how it would anyways, since it's pre-assigned in many applications, such as in web browsers, it's supposed to make the window go full-screen.

I'm running BootCamp 2.0 on a Santa Rosa MacBook 2.2GHz.

for print screen try

shift>fn>f11

or

shift>alt>fn>f11

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Could you be so kind and repost this link?

Can anyone confirm if there is a losution to this problem now?

I have the same problem as all the others here. Forward Delete does not work on XP! All the other keyboard shortcuts seems to work ok.

Thanks a lot.

I'm sorry but i cant remember what link i posted back then but try

fn > shift > right arrow > delete (or) shift > right arrow > delete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.