PDA

View Full Version : New alu15" owner..

socbyset
Sep 19, 2003, 10:46 PM
So, I just got home from the St. Louis Apple Store with my brand-new 15" powerbook. Not sure if I count as a switcher or not, been using Macs for years at work but never have owned one. (Main desktop at home is an Athlon.)

Pretty sweet machine. I was torn between the 12 and 15, but I went with the 15. Looking at the machines in the store the 12 looked kind of cramped, the 15 screen huge in comparison.

Anyway I am one of those who has been waiting all summer to get a revved powerbook and thus have I become a macrumors reader. So all I can say is, aahhhhh.

Also this is my first real experience with osx, at work I am still stuck on 9.

A question: does airport extreme play pretty nicely with non-airport based wifi base stations? Anyone have a recommendation? I'll need something with an ethernet port for my desktop as well. (I'm a total newbie to wifi.)

Powerbook G5
Sep 19, 2003, 11:34 PM
Although I have no firsthand experience, I've heard that the Linksys wireless-G router/4 port switch unit is pretty good both with distance and mixed networking. At home we have a Mac/PC network with 4 computers with a wired Linksys and it works pretty well. You can get one for half as much as the APE station at about $120 and you can connect through ethernet with it as well.

drjekyl
Sep 20, 2003, 01:38 AM
Congrats on the new purchase, I too will soon own a powerbook 15". I have used 3 different Linksys wireless routers and have been satisfied with all of them but the last one. The router is not working even though the wireless access is. If you are going to keep a PC handy then you shouldn't have any problems since you can only update firmware on the Linksys through a PC.

socbyset
Sep 20, 2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will take a look at Linksys.

I have discovered that when closing the lid the latch that holds it closed will only catch approx. 1 out of 5 times and the lid will pop back open. Searching around the net I found that others have had this problem and apple will replace it. So today I will hopefully get my second new 15" in as many days. Oh well, I have to go back for an airport extreme card anyway (forgot that last night).

You know, you never find these kinds of little imperfections on wintel machines.

(sarcasm.)