PDA

View Full Version : Got an Xbox 360 - how to get the most out of it?

Diddiyo
Nov 18, 2007, 12:47 PM
Hi :)

So I purchased an Xbox 360 elite yesterday. My first console in yeaaaaars. How can I make best use of it's features like HDD etc together with my 2.0 ghz / 2gb ram / 60gb hd macbook.? I already checked a couple of threads on this board, but they didn't really answer my question.

Is there a way I can copy music, pics and stuff on the 360's HDD? I read something about "xbox media center" and "360 connect" somewhere. Is that what I need? Right now I'm just plugging my ipod into the 360 but I'd like to have the music/pics etc on the HDD.

Help is appreciated :) Gotta go back to COD4 now :P

swiftaw
Nov 18, 2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/connect360

Mike Teezie
Nov 18, 2007, 04:34 PM
Seconded for Nullriver's Connect360. Pretty much makes the having an AppleTV redundant.

TimJim
Nov 18, 2007, 05:29 PM
i love Connect360. It's perfect.

psychofreak
Nov 18, 2007, 05:32 PM
i love Connect360. It's perfect.

I love it too, but I wouldn't say its perfect...it shouldn't need a workaround to stream from a MB connected to the 360 via ethernet...

dukebound85
Nov 18, 2007, 05:37 PM
ugh as much as i like the 360, ive had 6 fail on me in 2 years.....either freezing or the ring of death.

then i look at my n64 and gamecube, no issues at all for 12 and 7 years respectivly.

now i have to call up ms to see whats up. what makes me even more upset is twice, the 360 has scratched my games to the pt it is unplayable. theres 60 apiece down the tubes

anyone else have similar experiences or am i just really unlucky?

but relating to the thread, connect 360 is indeed awesome

koobcamuk
Nov 18, 2007, 05:42 PM
Does this work for 10.5 yet? I am having issues...

Mackilroy
Nov 18, 2007, 08:56 PM
ugh as much as i like the 360, ive had 6 fail on me in 2 years.....either freezing or the ring of death.

then i look at my n64 and gamecube, no issues at all for 12 and 7 years respectivly.

now i have to call up ms to see whats up. what makes me even more upset is twice, the 360 has scratched my games to the pt it is unplayable. theres 60 apiece down the tubes

anyone else have similar experiences or am i just really unlucky?

but relating to the thread, connect 360 is indeed awesome
I've had two 360s, and not an issue with either one of them.

Regarding the scratched disks, you aren't moving the 360 from horizontal to vertical position while the disk is spinning, are you? ;)

dukebound85
Nov 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
I've had two 360s, and not an issue with either one of them.

Regarding the scratched disks, you aren't moving the 360 from horizontal to vertical position while the disk is spinning, are you? ;)

nope. i treat my electronics as good as my computer

always have the 360 horizontal as well as i fear the dis may slip if vertical lol

kuyu
Nov 21, 2007, 09:20 AM
Xbox 360 + Handbrake + Connect360 + big HDD on mac = sweet movie awesomeness!!!

Seriously, you can convert your DVD's to mpeg in handbrake pretty quickly, then stream them to your HDTV. I've got the Departed at iPhone resolution and 1 gig in size and it still looks pretty good on my 720p set.

I'm going to play around with different sizes and resolutions, but I could see getting a couple of hundred DVD's on an external drive easily. Great feature that almost no one seems to use.

Oh, and Puzzle Quest on Live Arcade is worth every penny as long as you like games that don't suck.

simontarr
Nov 21, 2007, 11:57 AM
I can't get Connect 360 to work :(

I just get a red 'No Entry' sign to the right of track/movie names when I go to play them. Everything is connected up fine and all the required ports are open on my router, I just can't play anything.....it's really annoying!

Anyone have any idea what may be wrong? I emailed the Devs but they have decided to ignore me because I haven't brought it yet (because it doesn't work...)

Sdashiki
Nov 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
im intrigued, but its still not XBMC.

oh well, ill hug my plain ol XBOX for now...

luftwaffles08
Nov 22, 2007, 10:57 AM
Just started using Connect 360 and lovin it. Only thing I wish is that it could recognize my external HD alias in the movies folder just like Front Row does. Other than that, streaming music to my xbox has never been simpler.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just realized I could change the route it finds the movies, and now it reads them right off the external. Greatest. Program. Ever.

RL600
Nov 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
Connect 360 is nice.
$20 is way too expensive though for all you really get and use it for.

greatdevourer
Nov 23, 2007, 03:55 AM
Just to make Connect360 better, DivX/XviD support in the Fall Update :D