Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Hey,

So my friend called me for help, and I'm turning to MR. She says that she keeps all her music on her iPod - over the years, she's deleted songs from her iTunes because her computer hard drive is tiny. So basically she only had one copy of the songs on her iPod, and she had Automatic Syncing turned off so she's never had this problem before. iTunes just told her that her iPod could be "updated" - she hit yes, and now her iPod is empty.

Is there any way for her to get those files back? Some kind of savior program that can find those files somewhere on her harddrive?

Thanks so much for help :)

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Hey,

So my friend called me for help, and I'm turning to MR. She says that she keeps all her music on her iPod - over the years, she's deleted songs from her iTunes because her computer hard drive is tiny. So basically she only had one copy of the songs on her iPod, and she had Automatic Syncing turned off so she's never had this problem before. iTunes just told her that her iPod could be "updated" - she hit yes, and now her iPod is empty.

Is there any way for her to get those files back? Some kind of savior program that can find those files somewhere on her harddrive?

Thanks so much for help :)

I think it reformats the iPod, which means data recovery would be a job for computer forensics people. They can usually recover data from any kind of hard disk incident. But it costs a few hundred dollars and I don't know if it'll be worth it for her.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I think it reformats the iPod, which means data recovery would be a job for computer forensics people. They can usually recover data from any kind of hard disk incident. But it costs a few hundred dollars and I don't know if it'll be worth it for her.

ugh, it's probably not worth it...

anyone know any other ideas? or any super-cheap data recovery methods?

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
if it is the ipod video I believe there have been some problems upgrading to the lastest firmware when the latest itunes (7.5) isn't installed.

However the work around is just to upgrade itunes to the lastest version and you should see your music again.

Plus, upgrading the ipod firmware does NOT format it

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
if it is the ipod video I believe there have been some problems upgrading to the lastest firmware when the latest itunes (7.5) isn't installed.

However the work around is just to upgrade itunes to the lastest version and you should see your music again.

Plus, upgrading the ipod firmware does NOT format it

thanks, I'm going to tell her to try that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.