Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuparShadow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
New York, NY
Hello, everyone.

I'm a member of my school's newspaper staff and, because we work with Macs, I usually end up being the one that has to do most of the tech stuff.

Anyway, a lot of our machines are outdated. About three of them are strawberry iMacs (Rev D, I think. They have 333MHz each.), a dual 800 PowerMac G4, and two other PowerMacs that I'm not completely sure about what their specs are.

Anyway, what we're trying to do is install enough RAM into each computer to have them run OS X and allow us to switch from Quark XPress (Version 3.33, for god's sake.) to InDesign.

A friend of mine sold us two 256 MB RAM modules to install onto these computers. I followed the RAM installation instructions on apple.com (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43012 and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43013) and only one module fit in one computer that way. (So I installed one module in two sepearete iMacs.) The other slot was occupied by the factory-installed RAM, but the modules my friend sold me didn't fit into those slots anyway.

Anyway, after going through all of this, I put the Macs back together and turned them on. The problem is, they only seem to recognize 160 MB of the RAM!

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I'd really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Well your friend might have sold you the wrong kind of RAM... check OWC for what kind of RAM it actually takes (they have a RAM configuration section. I think the iMacs take 100mhz SDRAM.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
100 mhz SDRAM. Basically laptop memory so it's expensive and limited in size (256 max). I put one in my mom's Strawberry iMac and it recognized the whole thing (it was Crucial if you're interested) plus the 32 or whatever was in there to begin with. This computer should take another 256 in placce of the stock 32 but it has to be low profile RAM made for this application. You can just about get away with 256 megs on OS X but it's painful on a 333 G3. Try for the whole 512.

SuparShadow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
New York, NY
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
I put one in my mom's Strawberry iMac and it recognized the whole thing (it was Crucial if you're interested) plus the 32 or whatever was in there to begin with.

Haha, that's ironic. All of ours are strawberry imacs as well.

The module is a 256MB PC133 SDRAM CAS 2.5 (I think).

It needs to be installed in the upper slot, right? That's what I've been told..

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I suppose it's upper. It's the one you can access easily. The low profile stuff is what you have to use in the other (lower?) slot.

Don't know why they're all Strawberry iMacs. I got a good price so that's why my mom has one. If I had to pay more it would have been lime. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.