PDA

View Full Version : Apple 'not supportive' of iPhone games

MacBytes
Nov 18, 2007, 10:18 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Games
Link: Apple 'not supportive' of iPhone games (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071118231815)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

samh004
Nov 18, 2007, 11:22 PM
Carmack's focus was specifically on mobile gaming, and when asked about iPhone and iPod game development, he said that he and Steve Jobs got into a "fairly heated argument" at Apple's 2007 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).

The article seems to suggest he head a heated argument with Steve before the iPhone was even released. Now I don't see why Steve wouldn't want games eventually, seeing as he would of expected it to be successful, but I can see why he wouldn't be giving any info on third-party development out before it had even been launched.

I should think stances and opinions have changed somewhat now so it might be different, but the article doesn't elude to this conversation happening recently.

dvkid
Nov 19, 2007, 12:15 AM
Sounds like Macworld dusted off a somewhat rusty piece of "news" in this case. As an SDK is on its way in a few short months and nobody can yet say with absolute certainty what will and will not be made available through that SDK this article doesn't seem to be of any importance.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 19, 2007, 01:00 AM
The article seems to suggest he head a heated argument with Steve before the iPhone was even released. Now I don't see why Steve wouldn't want games eventually, seeing as he would of expected it to be successful, but I can see why he wouldn't be giving any info on third-party development out before it had even been launched.

I should think stances and opinions have changed somewhat now so it might be different, but the article doesn't elude to this conversation happening recently.

And apple been OH SO HELPFUL to gaming on the mac with crippling their desktops with their very limit graphic card. Not doing any large amount of work to make it easy.

It not a big surprising at all that they make it even harder to make games for the iPhone

samh004
Nov 19, 2007, 01:07 AM
And apple been OH SO HELPFUL to gaming on the mac with crippling their desktops with their very limit graphic card. Not doing any large amount of work to make it easy.

That's not really related but I'll bite. Apple likes a closed system as for the most part (I know there are some issues right now) that means things work and you don't get BSOD's etc. If Apple suddenly allowed more customisation then not only would their revenues drop, they'd also probably face more user hassles, of which they have no control over but would invariably make the Mac look bad.

I suppose they could just say, "install your own and your on your own, no more warranty", but you wouldn't like that either would you ? It was rhetorical. No offence.

Now back on topic.

It not a big surprising at all that they make it even harder to make games for the iPhone

I don't see why games would be at the top of their list anyway, considering no official third-party apps have yet been released, why would you think a game would be the first thing.

Surely some sort of productivity tool would be higher on the list, not designed by Apple of course.

I guess if Apple was touting the iPhone/iPod touch as a PSP or DS killer than surely you'd expect games, but that's no where near what they're trying to do.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 19, 2007, 01:22 AM
maybe you misunderstood me. Apple clearly on it desktop do not give a hoot about gaming and they make near ZERO effort to help it out or push it (graphic card gimp systems) so it stands to reason it would be even worse on the iPhone. where it truely would be Zero to less than Zero help.

The part on the graphic card I was relating to the iMac. At best they only allow low mid range cards in them when the system is new. Only way to get a good gaming card at all put in a mac is you have to fork out the cash for a mac Pro.

samh004
Nov 19, 2007, 01:30 AM
The part on the graphic card I was relating to the iMac. At best they only allow low mid range cards in them when the system is new. Only way to get a good gaming card at all put in a mac is you have to fork out the cash for a mac Pro.

But that's how their system has worked for ages. You want just basics, Mac mini, slightly more powerful, iMac, the absolute best in expandability (within Apple's guidelines of course), Mac Pro.

If they gave you some of the best graphics cards out there right now in the iMac, it'd cannibalise sales of the Mac Pro, besides, they couldn't do that anyway, because their thin design wouldn't allow it due to heat...

*It's meant to look good and work, if you want it to perform amazing then you can't have it look good and you should look towards Alienware ;)

winmacguy
Nov 19, 2007, 01:31 AM
The most ironic thing about gaming on the Mac is that Woz is and was a keen gamer who wrote the first games for the original Apple I and II.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 19, 2007, 01:36 AM
But that's how their system has worked for ages. You want just basics, Mac mini, slightly more powerful, iMac, the absolute best in expandability (within Apple's guidelines of course), Mac Pro.

If they gave you some of the best graphics cards out there right now in the iMac, it'd cannibalise sales of the Mac Pro, besides, they couldn't do that anyway, because their thin design wouldn't allow it due to heat...

*It's meant to look good and work, if you want it to perform amazing then you can't have it look good and you should look towards Alienware ;)

And you hit the nail on the head with the part on the iMac. They put low mid range cards in them which hurts gaming on the mac big time. That was my point Apple has made it crystal clear they do not care about gaming on the Mac. If apple really cared about gaming on the mac they would release something mortals could afford that has a descent graphic card in it.

That was my point. If apple does not give a hoot about gaming on the Mac why would it be any different and more likely even worse on things like the iPhone. Apple is not going to change something just for that.

winmacguy
Nov 19, 2007, 01:56 AM
Never mind gaming, I think the business world is going to be in for a MAJOR paridigm shift when Apple releases the SDK for the iPhone next year. There are probably 500,000+ developers out there who would like to sink their teeth into some apps for the iPhone and there are millions of business users who would like to see those apps on the iPhone as well as 100,000's of businesses and IT depts who are going to be forced to accommodate the iPhone.:apple: