PDA

View Full Version : Modem/Internet HELP

BrianT1701
Sep 20, 2003, 02:47 PM
I am trying to get a Power Mac 7500/100 online. I have a US Robotics External 56k modem. I can't tell if the Mac is finding it, or what. I also cannot figure out how to enter my ISP info anywhere.

Note-PC users trying to use a Mac is a funny thing. Therefore, you may have to give semi-detailed steps for me.

Thanks

MisterMe
Sep 20, 2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by BrianT1701
I am trying to get a Power Mac 7500/100 online. I have a US Robotics External 56k modem. I can't tell if the Mac is finding it, or what. I also cannot figure out how to enter my ISP info anywhere.

Note-PC users trying to use a Mac is a funny thing. Therefore, you may have to give semi-detailed steps for me.

Thanks I suggest that you install MacOS 9.1 if you have it. It is available as a standalone installation. A standalone 9.1 CD also ships with MacOS X 10.1. If you don't then install MacOS 7.5.5. Its free and will make your job a lot easier.

Go to the Apple Menu.

Select Control Panel:TCP/IP. Chose PPP as your connection protocol.

Then go to Control Panel:PPP

Select your modem driver. Enter your ISP's phone number, your user name, and password in the appropriate places.

Launch your favorite Internet application. PPP should launch automatically and log on for you.

BrianT1701
Sep 20, 2003, 03:42 PM
Well, the mac found the modem. I was able to connect using the PPP thing. But, something with some TCP setting or something is not right, when I try to view a webpage with Netscape I get a connot find sever error message, even tho I am connected via modem and PPP. I have no idea what to do.

I am using system 8.1

BrianT1701
Sep 20, 2003, 03:51 PM
Now this is nice, when I start the computer or disconnect and someone calls here, i can hear them talking on the modem, that isn't right. Crazy macs freak me out. If this doens't work somehow I am throwing this thing in the trash.

MisterMe
Sep 21, 2003, 08:44 AM
Now this is nice, when I start the computer or disconnect and someone calls here, i can hear them talking on the modem, that isn't right. Crazy macs freak me out. If this doens't work somehow I am throwing this thing in the trash. You have to install and use the correct driver for your modem.

BrianT1701
Sep 21, 2003, 01:51 PM
that's where a problem arrive, I know 0 people who own a mac, so I can't get a copy of the driver on a mac compatable disk.

Farside161
Sep 21, 2003, 02:50 PM
macs can read PC formatted diskes. check your modems manufacture's web site and see if you can download drivers from there.

BrianT1701
Sep 21, 2003, 04:56 PM
I tried that, and the mac didn't know how to open it.

MisterMe
Sep 21, 2003, 06:55 PM
I tried that, and the mac didn't know how to open it. You need Stuffit Expander. Just to be clear:

Go to this web site. (http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp)
You will see a panel that behaves very much like the NeXT browser/MacOS X 10.x Finder below Stay Connected.
Select 56K/33.6K External -> Macintosh -> All Other -> Universal Script. This is an ARA Script for AppleTalk Remote Access and is also used by PPP.

A binhexed file will be downloaded to your computer. If you have it installed Stuffit Expander will automatically decode the downloaded file. If you need additional assistance, you may also download the Install Guide which will require Acrobat Reader.

BrianT1701
Sep 21, 2003, 08:39 PM
this doesn't want to work for me. I have downloaded both of the different version of stuffit available for the mac, burned them to a CD(off of my PC), and the mac doesn't want to open either of them. Actually, Claris Works tried to open them.

I know I seem like an idiot here, but I know PC's not Macs.

MisterMe
Sep 21, 2003, 08:56 PM
this doesn't want to work for me. I have downloaded both of the different version of stuffit available for the mac, burned them to a CD(off of my PC), and the mac doesn't want to open either of them. Actually, Claris Works tried to open them.

I know I seem like an idiot here, but I know PC's not Macs. What in God's name are you burning to a CD? Why don't you use a friend's Mac or a Mac in a computer lab somewhere to download the driver you need. Once you get your Mac connected, then you can download everything else that you need. Even simpler, you may borrow a MacOS 9 CD. Upgrade your copy of MacOS 8.1 to 9.x. Stuffit Expander is bundled with the OS.

BrianT1701
Sep 21, 2003, 08:59 PM
no one i know uses a mac, and I can't think of anywhere to find one, but I guess i need to go check it out. as far as finding a 9.1 CD that will be just as difficult.

thanks for all your help on this, atleast I know what I have to do.