Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Hello!

I recently bought a used iPod 5.5G (assuming its 5.5 since it has apple care until may 2008). The 'problem' is that when i switch songs, or start it up or watch a movie i can normally hear the HDD spin and move. It dies down after the initial track change is over but when it changes again i can hear it. Often i can feel it moving, it will almost vibrate a tad. Some times it will freeze for about 5 seconds when the screen is changing between menu (like when it slides off to the side, it will be half on and half off for about 5 seconds)

I used to have a first generation Nano, so i am not used a HDD, but i want to know if this is normal? Should i call Apple since it has Apple care still. Also how would i be able to get this replaced if it is defective? (the nearest apple store is 4+ hours away from me) i cant take it to a genius to have them inspect it, could they do it over the phone?

Sorry for all those questions, but i have been saving them up!

Thanks
Star

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Mine is exactly the same way. I'm assuming that the vibrations and noises are a bit different from previous models as it is much thinner than they have been, which would allow it to vibrate more with HDD spin than previous models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.