Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you consider buying Kindle?

• Yes

Votes: 139 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 365 72.4%

• Total voters

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Newsweek provides an early scoop for a device coming from Amazon called "Kindle". The $399 device attempts to deliver a complete eBook solution, unlike existing products, and is described as "the iPod of reading".

Indeed, the feature set is impressive, with EVDO and WiFi connectivity allowing customers to browse, purchase, and download from a library of over 88,000 digital books at launch. Aside from digital book content, you may also subscribe to newspapers and select blogs. The device also incorporates web browsing, email, and the ability to read Word and PDF documents. Other features as said to include:

- Has a keyboard
- 30 hour battery life
- 2 hour recharge time
- 10.3 ounces
- 4.9 inches x 7.5 inches x 0.7 inches, 800x600 pixel (from early spec sheet)
- SD Slot for storage (from early specs)
- USB 2.0 (from early specs)
- Uses E Ink technology
- Adjustable Font size
- Can hold over 200 books
- Can search books for phrase or name
- 3.5 stereo headphone jack

Amazon has reportedly been taking cues from Apple's iPod launch, planning on using similar videotaped celebrity testimonials at launch.

Dedicated eBook readers, however, have not yet seen a commercial success, with early attempts by Sony to create a market for the devices. Apple has been rumored to be working on a similarly sized tablet, though not intended specifically to be an eBook reader, there appears to be much cross-over functionality (web, email) between the devices.

Final specs and official announcement is expected later on Monday.

Update2: Official announcement and product page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...ag=weeno&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Article Link

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
before anyone says that this isn't apple related... let me cut you off.

I think this is very interesting and affects Apple. Certainly a company the size of Amazon entering a market like this which certainly overlaps some iPhone and/or iPod Touch functionality.

Also, there's talk of Apple going into the mini-tablet market in some form or another.

Based on the early description of the Amazon service, I think it's a potentially compelling solution. Wireless everywhere, downloadable books and web. Service charge remains an unknown.

arn

dannychang

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Ugly?

this is so ugly -.-. oh my god..

how can this relate to iPod??

the Design...the UI.....

the keyboard??? LOL....gosh.....

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Looking forward to Macworld 2008 in January.....

What does MacWorld have to do with Amazon releasing this? I think the device they speak of from Apple is the rumored tablet, correct?

this is so ugly -.-. oh my god..

how can this relate to iPod??

the Design...the UI.....

the keyboard??? LOL....gosh.....

LOL, fugly. Some of the comments on Engadget are hilarious.

"Who knew Tandy computer was still around"

"Looks like something out of Buck Rogers"

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/11/amazon-kindle-meet-amazons-e-book-reader/

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
this is the sony ereader killer

Kudos to Bezos and Amazon on this. An integrated ebook reader + ebook downloader + newspaper reader that can fit in a briefcase or laptop bag.. brillant..

So you can download a book on the go, read it on a plane, and then when finished download another book and read it on the way back. No need for books in your bag or anything like that...

Newspaper downloads and magazine downloads are the killer.... Being able to take this on the train or bus and reading your paper vs a laptop will be HUGE...

Kudos... will wait to see the engadget and cnet reviews on the press conference on Monday afternoon.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Id love one, but my god the thing looks like a POS...

But yeah, these things are the future

Derbus

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
Chicago
Not only is the thing ugly looking and shady sounding, the guy on the cover looks creepy.

personally i like holding onto the actual book, I think that books will go away. Im just not ready to let go just yet ^^;

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Will it be as painful to read on as a computer screen? That's the worst part about ebooks for me. Until there's a good way to read digital text off a surface that isn't backlit and doesn't have blocky res, readers like this will still be a secondary experience to books in every way except convenience.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Good ideas are just as necessary as good aesthetic design. I'm sorry, but this won't take off. It's too ugly. Someone else will copy all the features of this machine and make it look nicer. It could be Apple; it could be another company altogether. It'll also sell.

before anyone says that this isn't apple related... let me cut you off.

Damn it....missed my chance!!

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
I read a lot of paperback novels, just bought one on the way home from work today in fact. Can't see myself using something like this, it's just technology intruding where it's not wanted.

(The irony of this statement, of course, is that most of the books I read are science fiction :)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm totally ready to jump on the eBook bandwagon, just as soon as they make a compelling looking product. This thing has some great sounding functionalities, but it looks like it stepped out of 1995.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
eBook - not for me

I personally never saw the point in releasing eBooks. Whenever I get across a .pdf scientific paper, I tend to print it out, if it really is interesting.

Considering the amount of text I can read in a book (which basically shows really sharp contured letters and adequate size - with approx. 1400 dpi), and comparing that to the hassle of scrolling and clicking on my laptop, I'd rather carry the book.

Next thing for me is the DRM-related stuff. You see, I can buy a book, and after I have finished, I can pass it on to a friend. Basically if you do the same with digital data, you are alleged of copyright infringement.

Last but not least, reading a book is a very deep experience (if the author is good). The page flipping movement is so embedded in our spinal cord (due to years of training), that it doesn't distract you. But I think scrolling and page flipping are way a distraction from the plot, as they steal concentration.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Will it be as painful to read on as a computer screen? That's the worst part about ebooks for me. Until there's a good way to read digital text off a surface that isn't backlit and doesn't have blocky res, readers like this will still be a secondary experience to books in every way except convenience.

eInk is supposed to address those issues. Sony's info pages on it: http://products.sel.sony.com/pa/prs/reader_features.html

arn

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I love books and have over 3,500 of them.
But they are damn inconvenient to carry with me when I go somewhere
I would get a device like this if it worked well and let me read my books.
Once these readers get to the point where they are in color like textbooks then I am getting one for sure... and Apple does not have to make it.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Not only is the thing ugly looking and shady sounding, the guy on the cover looks creepy.

Maybe so, but Jeff Bezos is a lot richer than you are. (Being the CEO and founder of Amazon.)

I'm definitely interested, but I'm going to stop short of "enamored" until I can see one in action (either in person or through some good quality video - YouTube need not apply).

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
One of the first things people will complain about is battery life. 30 hours isn't that much for all the reading you'll do with this thing. Using e-ink, this should be getting 50 hours.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005

It uses eInk, which is amazingly paper-like

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
As a researcher who carries around a lot of printed-out PDFs,
I, for one, welcome this e-book overlord...

It'll show PDFs, right ? but I'm afraid the screen is a bit too small. And it's ugly. Might be better to buy sony e-book reader...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.