Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l4t13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Hey everyone, I coach basketball and wanted to start capturing my game films onto my mac.

Basically a parent films for me then gives me the mini dv tape.

I was doing research but thinking maybe I am missing something. I am looking for the cheapest solution to capture these mini dv tapes to the computer. I was thinking it would be a vcr with a mini dv slot and a video box.

for the box i was thinking http://computers.pricegrabber.com/video-capture-devices/m/18659872/

but for the vcr or whatever I need to play the mini dv i am confused on.

I am looking for the cheapest solution.

Thanks

demallien

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
I'm going to assume that you use a Mac to do this. The simplest (and also highest quality) way of doing this, is to buy yourself a cheap secondhand handycam that uses miniDV. You then just connect it to your Mac, using either a firewire cable or a USB cable, depending on the camera, and open up iMovie. You'll get the film onto the computer in all of it's original digital glory, which you can then export to iDVD and burn to DVD...

For example, I found one of these available for immediate purchase on eBay for about $100...

Samsung SC-D372 MiniDV

But there are lots of other handycams that do this. Just make sure that they have a firewire output...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.