Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sickracer2015

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
wow very very old news... and your just now getting around to it? how about you mention the oddities.. from what I have read 2 10.2.8 seeds have happened this week, and the one server build.. yet no client builds.. makes you wonder whats going on...

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
7b68 is running great for me(I feel like I am on OS 9 again)

this is the first seed where I haven't had the urge to upgrade

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
fast yet buggy

I've installed 7b68 and my HK sounsticks only give sound out of one stick, and its not that loud... the sound on system prefs says no output control for this device.. Anything on that? Another thing ive seen is that if yo change an icon and you put the folder with the new icon on the sidebar if you put files into the folder using the sidebarr icon as a destination, it will make it lose the new icon... Weird... I've also had a lot of quartz crashes... Safari crashes, apps not closing when they should.. Its fast but a bit too buggy right now...

i do love it though....

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
bluedalmatian:

I have tested panther on a 500mhz imac with 320, 450mhz cube with 768, and a 400 mhz pbg3 with 128

Having just updated the pb from 9.2.1 to 10.3 7b68 I can say that gui "snappiness" is very comparable.(not there yet, but much closer)

Very cool!

edit: Also, suprprisingly good performance with 128 ram.

julzmon

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
NYC
love it

this new build is just fantastic.
only noticed some little gui cosmetic bugs other then that it rocks. my G4 400 agp feels like it's twice as fast. finder very responsive. super slow apps like dreamweaver 2004 is faster on it also.

can't wait to purchase the full release!

bluedalmatian

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2003
Great Britain
thanks dho & julzmon.

I've got an a similar g3 imac and a cube so so I feel more confident now that i'll see the speed increase.

i wasn't sure if it was only noticable on newer g4s.

thats the one thing about the panther rumours - last year all the rumour sites were going on about how much faster jaguar was and it did apple a lot of good - i certainly was inspired to buy it based on the speed rumours.

this year the rumour mill has been quieter about the speed gains.:confused:

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Speed

I ran Jaguar on my iMac 233 - I hated it.
Panther, on the other hand, I like on my trusty old 233, which I *keep* having to tell people is over 5 years old, and not brand new.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Re: Speed

Originally posted by jimjiminyjim
I ran Jaguar on my iMac 233 - I hated it.
Panther, on the other hand, I like on my trusty old 233, which I *keep* having to tell people is over 5 years old, and not brand new.

did you have to do anything special to get it to run? I thought the minimum specs for Panther were a 400 G3...

I've been thinking about running on my beige 300, but didn't want to wipe my drive just to find out it wouldn't work.

lemme know...

myrdred23

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Is motherboard based USB a real requirement or just a *recommended* requirement. What I mean is, is it like the previous OS X versions G3 minimum requirement, where people have still managed to run OS X on PowerPC 604's?

Hopefully, there will still be a way to run it on older non-USB G3 computers, especially now since it is much faster than previous versions.

Have anyone actually tried installing Panther on beige G3s?

-------

Also, another couple of questions. These were rumors from long before WWDC and Panther feature confirmations, yet no information has been given on these.

The first is a new version of OS 9, that works only in Classic, where it is optimized (even more than 9.2.2) for use as Mac OS X Classic. It would feature an improved bootup time, and the menubar would look like an OS X one, rather than OS 9.

The second is reloading of frameworks without need for a reboot. What I mean, is if you install updates to the OS, that change certain non-critical frameworks, these would be reloaded on the run, without having to reboot the whole OS. As it is, right now if a framework is changed, even if it is a very non-critical one, the system needs a reboot.

Anyone know any information on these topics?

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Re: Re: Speed

Originally posted by Mudbug
did you have to do anything special to get it to run? I thought the minimum specs for Panther were a 400 G3...

I've been thinking about running on my beige 300, but didn't want to wipe my drive just to find out it wouldn't work.

lemme know...

I didn't do anything special - it's the WWDC preview version, I installed it on a partition, in case anything went wonky, I could always use OS X (the original) or OS 9 from a separate partition for booting. I haven't yet though. Can't say anything abot the beige 300's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.