Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
can someone please tell me the Mat****a/Panasonic part number of the new 2X superdrive in the just released Powerbooks? I am trying to see if it is the same 1X drive that I have in my TiBook with just a firmware upgrade. My part number is UJ-815. i *think* the firmware upgraded Superdrive is part number UJ-815A (according to some posts i have read)

thanks!

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I'm very interested in this too. I wish there was technical documentation available for this laptop. I'm sure someone will take theirs apart but we'll probably have to wait a couple weeks.
Sorry i couldn't help,
Excalibur313

Kiwi-Todd

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Dunedin, NZ
Hey Shecky - I have been following this closely too as I own a 'crippled' superdrive also. Apparently the 'new' drive is the 816 but its' firmware runs fine on the 815.

Read the last couple of pages in this very extensive forum on the topic
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=68197

The guy cynikal was, I believe, the first person to track down the uncrippled firmware - his site with the download is:

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

I am still holding off flashing my drive as I rely on it too much for work - but I see very few problems reported yet so I am very close to taking the plunge especially now that the 2x drives are released in the 17" PB.

I hope that this helps - good luck!!:)

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Cynikal's Firmware update works!

Hey Kiwi-Todd & Shecky,

Cynikal's Firmware update worked on a 1GHz PB with SuperDrive (-815 before, -815A after). Cynikal has also posted a 'downgrade' which has been confirmed to work.

No issues here, burns DVD-R at 2X & CD-R at 16X. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.