Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendanward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Hello,

I just purchased an april 2005 model Dual 2.7 Ghz G5. Here are the quick specs:

G5 Dual 2.7 ghz
2gb pc3200 ddr
250 gig hdd
ati radeon 9650 256mb card
-- display: HP 2007 20" widescreen lcd

I have a couple questions about upgrading:

1. I'm currently running an nVidia Geforce 6600 8x agp graphics card on my windows xp PC. While the card is 8x, my motherboard only supports 4x - so I'm not even utilizing it's full potential. I'm wondering if I should remove the standard Radeon 9650 from the G5 & use the geforce 6600 instead? The cards spec out similarly but I've heard the 9650 tends to run sluggish. Any thoughts?

2. I have a maxtor ide-ATA 250 gb internal hdd installed in my PC that I'd like to use in an external enclosure with the G5. My question pertains to file transfer; I realize I'd need to reformat the disk for it to mount correctly in osx, so I'd like to transfer the files by networking the g5 & the pc. I'd do this with an ethernet cord & network sharing. Is this the quickest/easiest solution?
I figured it'd be faster than burning a bunch of CD's.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

- Brendan

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Look around for a Mac compatible video card, they are expensive. Old Radeons 9800 (4 years old!), are selling for astronomical 300€ !, be warned.
- PC's video cards are NOT compatible, because they do not have the proper firmware. Once they are "flashed" with the right firmware, they will work.

Mac OS X has a bunch of sharing options, winblows sharing, ftp, etc. Use them they work well.

Edit: have a look at the upgrading mdd & 867 MHz PowerMacs, there is a link to a discussion over video cards.

brendanward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Thanks for the advice.

I just ran out and bought the new apple keyboard. Too sleek to resist.
So, I'm going to hold off on a video card upgrade.

Hopefully the LAN file transfer will go smoothly.

Thanks again.

-Brendan

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
If you're transferring data, FireWire or IDE/SATA speeds are best - so instead of network speeds (which aren't going to be fast), plug your drive in to your new enclosure, or even temporarily remove the optical drive from the PowerMac and shove in the IDE drive and transfer it that way.

Macs have no problem reading FAT or NTFS partitions.

And it'd be a helluva lot faster this way. ;)

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
If you're transferring data, FireWire or IDE/SATA speeds are best - so instead of network speeds (which aren't going to be fast), plug your drive in to your new enclosure, or even temporarily remove the optical drive from the PowerMac and shove in the IDE drive and transfer it that way.

Macs have no problem reading FAT or NTFS partitions.

And it'd be a helluva lot faster this way. ;)

Why go through the trouble? Do it over LAN, won't take THAT long. Do it overnight or something.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I copied some 90 GB of pr^H^H I mean video files :)o) to my macbook from my linux desktop, and somehow the network was at 100BaseT instead of at 1000BaseTX, so It took a big part of the night :D. writes via Gigabit ethernet to disk are in the 25MB/s area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.