Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquietlife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Hello..

Hopefully you all can help me. I have a 12" powerbook g4.

I recently bought an external hard drive (OWC Mercury Elite-Al). I cloned my internal (Hitachi) to the external drive. Then I did an "erase and install" on my powerbook, and reinstalled Tiger.

Everything works fine, I can boot from my external perfectly, and I can boot from my INTERNAL, but ONLY when it's connected to the external via firewire.

When I disconnect the firewire, it won't boot on it's own from the internal. The apple symbol appears, but then eventually turns to a flashing "prohibitory sign".

Does this mean that my hard drive failed? I wouldn't be able to still work from the internal hard drive if that's the case would I? I booted it from the internal (with the external connected), then disconnected the external, and I'm able to use it perfectly.

I just want to be able to boot it without the external because it's so big.

I did the repair disk, and have the internal set as the "start up disk."

When it's running, and I restart, it boots fine, but not when I shut it down and turn it on again.

Or, could I have not installed the OS correctly? When I put the installer cd in without the external, it doesn't recognize my internal.

I can't think of anything else to do...HELP!

Thank you!

Erik

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.