PDA

View Full Version : what irks me

cleo
Apr 16, 2002, 01:52 PM
I converted to Macs with the coming of the new iMac. I now own one of those and an iBook 600. All in all, I am quite pleased. But one thing keeps me returning to my PC at least a couple of times a week: a decent, OS X-native semi-pro image editor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I have used Jasc's Paint Shop Pro for Windows for about 8 years, and have so far found nothing on the Mac platform that begins to compete with PSP in terms of value for price. PSP costs about $100, is much more full-featured (and user-friendly) than Graphic Converter, has an excellent built-in file browser, includes vector tools (including the option of creating text as vectors and on paths), and allows me to have full control over the output of my images. I was nearly banging my head against the wall yesterday when I needed to do some (what I consider to be) basic image editing (cropping and resizing images) and found it to be much more difficult with the tools I have at my disposal on the Mac than with PSP on the PC.

Yes, I will probably wind up forking over $300 for Photoshop one of these days - but I don't think I should have to. Why is there not a graphics tool available to semi-pro/serious hobbyists that falls somewhere between the useless bloat of GC and the hefty price of PS?

</rant>

Taft
Apr 16, 2002, 02:07 PM
This, and switching file formats is what I primarily use Graphic Converter for. For me, its simple as pie.

In fact, I've tried PSP and found *it* hard to use.

I suggest that what is really going on here is that you are simply not used to using GC...just as I am not used to using PSP. It really is a very simple and effective graphics editor.

Matthew

rainman::|:|
Apr 16, 2002, 02:14 PM
http://download.com.com/3150-2197-0.html?tag=dir
189 downloads found in Image Editing

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/
Craploads of downloads in Imaging/3D

You have to sort out a lot of junk and special interest apps, but you're bound to find something there. Best part is, it'll be freeware or shareware...

Im not really good with these types of apps, but let me know if you find something good... I use GC as well, it's what i learned on... it may not be the most intuitive software, but it does a lot. I do wish it did animated GIFs. GIFbuilder is crap.

:)

pnw

Falleron
Apr 16, 2002, 04:16 PM
Give Graphics Coverter a try! Its a great program.

mac15
Apr 18, 2002, 11:42 PM
graphic converter is like a cheaper photoshop
But it shouldn't be used as a alternate

mmmdreg
Apr 24, 2002, 08:33 PM
Give The GIMP a try...it's really quite useful...

cb911
Apr 27, 2002, 06:59 AM
hey Cleo, i've been using Paint Shop Pro as well, its pretty good for what i need it for, but i was wondering if you can change the dpi of an image.

Tommy!
Apr 27, 2002, 07:36 AM
I use appleworks to do simple cropping and resizing. It lets you choose which format to save as, and I can even specify a target memory size. its great for making buddy icons on aim :D

mmmdreg
Apr 27, 2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Tommy!
I use appleworks to do simple cropping and resizing. It lets you choose which format to save as, and I can even specify a target memory size. its great for making buddy icons on aim :D

Appleworks for images?? The GIMP definitely outclasses this stuff as an imaging program..it's not far off Photoshop and its FREE!

Ensign Paris
May 11, 2002, 06:04 AM
I have a friend who is obbsessed with PSP, he goes on about it for agesssssss when we go hikeing. So I fight the corner for PShop, I always win :)

Ensign