PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band.

AJ Muni
Nov 20, 2007, 02:23 PM
Did anyone else get it? Within the last week I called numerous gamestops, and they were sold out with pre-orders. Numerous people that I know who work at gamestop, told me to expect "wii-like shortages, telling me I would have to wait until Feb '08. So this morning I went to best buy when they opened. I got there about 10 minutes before opening, and there were about 10 people in line. When they let us in they had the packages on the display in front of the store, I wanna say about 25 each for the 360 and ps3. This thing is really, really amazing. My favorite is the drums, and the singing and guitar are real fun. I haven't done any multiplayer yet, but I'm sure on turkey day we are gonna have a blast.

Laslo Panaflex
Nov 20, 2007, 04:33 PM
Just picked it up this morning, played the drums at lunch, it was fun as hell. I'm having all my friends over tonight for a Rock Band party, I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

cycocelica
Nov 21, 2007, 12:54 AM
I am more curious about the singing. I can't sing and I know my friends can't, so I don't want to hear them sing.

So any more information on this would be great.

gloss
Nov 21, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm going to drop by Best Buy today and see if there are any copies left, but I'm not holding my breath.

getbigg21
Nov 21, 2007, 11:33 AM
yeah i picked mine up at Target last night. haven't had a chance to even open it up yet. i also picked up College Hoops 2k8 so that's what I have been playing.

gloss
Nov 21, 2007, 09:13 PM
Picked up a copy at Target for the 360 (PS3 was sold out - oh, the irony). Probably going to bust it out tomorrow after turkey time. Will report back. =D

getbigg21
Nov 21, 2007, 09:19 PM
well busted it out. it's sweet. haven't tried the singing yet. i can't sing anyhow.

zelmo
Nov 24, 2007, 01:33 PM
Picked this up on launch day for PS3, along with Uncharted and Mass Effect. I had to hand the latter two titles [along with Super Mario Galaxy and Assassin's Creed] over to my wife as Xmas gifts, but successfully lobbied to keep Rock Band.
While all those other games are sure to be loads of fun, I'm certain I made the right call to keep RB now. The drums are simply awesome, and having folks over to play together is killer. Reminds me of youthful days [long past] spent strumming tennis rackets in the basement to Beatles songs.

If you like music games and have RW friends, pick this one up.

BRUUUCE
Nov 24, 2007, 01:44 PM
How does the mic tell if you're doing it correctly? pitch? words? sound level?

zelmo
Nov 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
We've only tried singing on easy setting, which seems to work by pitch like all the karaoke games out there. I think higher difficulty settings require you to actually sing the correct words, though.

Rhosfelt
Nov 24, 2007, 03:53 PM
We've only tried singing on easy setting, which seems to work by pitch like all the karaoke games out there. I think higher difficulty settings require you to actually sing the correct words, though.
My friend picked it up for 360 on Black Friday and me him and a couple of our friends all went over his house last night it was awesome. Great songs great style I was not a big fan of guitar hero until this and now I cannot wait to get GHIII for wii (because that is the only system I have :P)

medium is a mix of some words that are orange highlighted and everything else is just pitch..

The drums were so hard for us, but luckily my one friend picked it up super quickly. We played it for about 6 hours straight haaha this game is a total blast I can't wait for my brother to get it for xMas.

ChrisBrightwell
Nov 29, 2007, 03:35 PM
I wrote this on another site, though I'd crosspost it here. :)

=====

I finished Rock Band again last night, this time playing "guitar solo tour" on hard. I got through most of the songs pretty easily, but struggled with the Molly Hatchet track, which I actually failed a few times. I got 4 or 5 stars on almost every track.

I finished the drum solo tour on easy a few days ago, which was a lot of fun. I've been playing on medium when we play as a band, so I'll probably start the medium solo tour soon. I expect to get through about a third of the songs before I really start to struggle. The great part is that you *feel* like you're playing drums. If your timing is even a little bit off, you'll start to fail pretty quickly.

I haven't played a real kit in a long time (almost 10 years), but I definitely agree with the developers when they say that playing these drums on hard or expert should translate pretty easily to a real kit with a little bit of practice. If you played quads in a marching band in middle/high school or college, you'll have no problem with these.

I've tried vocals on a few songs and sucked terribly. I may try the solo tour on easy, but I doubt it.

So far, my favorite tracks are:
- "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet
- "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden
- "Celebrity Skin" by Hole
- "Epic" by Faith No More
- "Flirtin' With Disaster" by Molly Hatchet
- "Foreplay / Long Time" by Boston
- "The Hand That Feeds" by Nine Inch Nails
- "Orange Crush" by REM (esp. on drums!)
- "Sabotage" by Beastie Boys
- "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer
- "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi
- "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who
- "Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld" by ... Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld

We've downloaded a few tracks from the Xbox Live Marketplace, too, but none of them are really standout tracks to me. "Jukebox Hero" should've been in Guitar Hero (the original), as far as I'm concerned, so I'm glad it's finally there.

The Fender controller that comes with the game is pretty bland, IMO, but I really love the Les Paul controller that came with GH3. That is definitely my favorite guitar controller thus far.

The drums are solid and can take a pretty decent beating. They feel like practice pads and have a very solid "thwack" when you hit 'em. I'm gonna test ways to deaden the noise soon so I can play drums after everyone else goes to bed. I'm thinking that some cheap mousepads, cut to fit, might do the trick.

I also thought about taping some foam around the tips of the drum sticks. That might work, too. The drum controller is a set of pressure switches, where the entire head of the drum moves down to click a switch, so spreading that force out to deaden the sound should have no effect on playability.

Overall, this is a very solid game. The guitar parts aren't as difficult as GH3 on equal difficulty settings, but I feel like Rock Band is less forgiving, requiring your timing to be a bit more accurate. That doesn't matter, through, when you've got three friends together and you're really jamming together on "Wanted Dead or Alive", the crowd in the game is singing along, and everyone is having a blast.

The $170 price tag was a bit steep, but it feels like it was worth every penny. I'll trade my two spare guitar controllers (an X-plorer from GH2 and the Fender from Rock Band) for a new wireless Les Paul when they become available, but that's more of a personal preference than anything.

McGiord
Oct 25, 2008, 07:25 PM
Anyone knows if this game will come for the mac?

Dagless
Oct 25, 2008, 07:35 PM
No. It's for the consoles only.

evan g
Oct 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
holy thread revival, batman!