Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gilgam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
Qc, Canada
Well, my 42' HDTV passed away yesterday :( and I'm looking for something to replace it. I was thinking of another HDTV (Bravia W or Aquos) but found a review on newer gen of home theater projectors (in this case a Sony VPLAW15) wich seems to have really good HD capabilities (even in 1080/24p) and contrast but I can't find any info if those can render good image quality with video games...does anybody have some experience with them ?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm confused with that projector.

It's data sheet seems to indicate that it has a max res of 1280x720

However it goes on to say it supports 1080p via HDMI ?

So I'm wondering if all the machine is doing is down converting 1080 to 720 ?

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
Dont get a Sharp TV the black levels are just pants!

I thought a projector was a great Idea, and yes they are, if you are in a really dark room!

I would go for the Sony!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Don't forget too to take into account, bulb life. 1500,2000 hours and you may have to splash out another $300/400 on a bulb. That's makes the lifespan / cost issue compared to a TV very important.

Gilgam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
Qc, Canada
Thanks for your reply,

MRU, yes it seems it support 1080p HD mode but since it only have a 720 vertical resolution it obviously scale it down like some HDTV. After reading your comment on the bulb, I digged some info; for the Sony model mentionned above it "technicaly" last 3000 hours and cost 485.00$ (maybe cheaper online) to replace :eek: I went to my local TV store and tried one, the image is great as long as the room is dark, otherwise you need stronger (read, more expensive) projector...so I'll probably stick to a HDTV.
Timmillwood : Thanks for your comment on the Sharp I'll probably go for Sony.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Well, my 42' HDTV passed away yesterday :( and I'm looking for something to replace it.

Wow! That's over 500 inches. :eek: If you're going to get a regular HDTV, that's going to be quite a step down for you. A 100" tv will run you about $75,000.

The new Samsungs have a 16,000:1 contrast ratio for amazing blacks. Until OLED tv's come out, Sharp has the edge with this:http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/sharps-1-000-000-1-mega-contrast-premium-lcd-vs-regular-lcd/. I've just been really happy with Samsung's LCD tv's.

For a projecter, I agree with everyone else...unless you have a really dark room...and the money to pay for bulb replacement, a regular HDTV is the way to go.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Antares said:
Wow! That's over 500 inches. :eek: If you're going to get a regular HDTV, that's going to be quite a step down for you. A 100" tv will run you about $75,000.

The new Samsungs have a 16,000:1 contrast ratio for amazing blacks. Until OLED tv's come out, Sharp has the edge with this:http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/sharps-1-000-000-1-mega-contrast-premium-lcd-vs-regular-lcd/. I've just been really happy with Samsung's LCD tv's.

For a projecter, I agree with everyone else...unless you have a really dark room...and the money to pay for bulb replacement, a regular HDTV is the way to go.

lol, reminds me of Spinal Tap :p

Gilgam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
Qc, Canada
Yeah I know, it will be difficult to replace :p well, I will settle with a "smaller" one then. Thanks for the info on the Samsung, will definetly check them out !

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
You should wait until next year and spend an arm and a leg on a FED TV. True blacks and they've been tested at up to 240 frames per second, something no LCD can match. :)

<]=)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.