PDA

View Full Version : Imovie... film size help

doofeh
Nov 21, 2007, 10:37 AM
im currently creating a media project at AS level and have only had one major problem. Some of the film was filmed with one camera... another with another camera. One lot of the film was autmatically letterboxed by imovie not removing any footage from the top/bottom. The other was not automatically letterboxed. The change in size is glaringly obvious upon playback and simply adding a letterbox effect cuts off half my footage... how can i getthem the same? is it to do with aspect ratio?

huntercr
Nov 23, 2007, 10:30 AM
im currently creating a media project at AS level and have only had one major problem. Some of the film was filmed with one camera... another with another camera. One lot of the film was autmatically letterboxed by imovie not removing any footage from the top/bottom. The other was not automatically letterboxed. The change in size is glaringly obvious upon playback and simply adding a letterbox effect cuts off half my footage... how can i getthem the same? is it to do with aspect ratio?

In short, that was a big mistake that you aren't going to be able to truly fix. You're going to lose quality on one of these sources no matter what. You can, however do some investigatoin to figure out what the best alternative solution is. ( unless you can re-shoot )

Do you know the models of the 2 cameras used? The most important thing here is knowing whether the letterboxed footage is that way because the camera recorded it that way ( meaning it was "fake" 16:9 mode ) or whether it really is iMovie doing it.

The 2nd thing to consider, is if imovie allows mixed aspect ratio footage. I don't believe it does, so you might see what happens if you import the video from each camera into seperate projects. But having different aspect rations inherantly causes this problem so, even if you were in Final cut where you could handle the 2 sources together, you're still going to have to choose to lose resolution on one or the other eventually.

If, by looking up the camera model you find out your letterboxed footage was faked in camera, you'll end up with an effective "true" resolution of something like 720x360, even though the actual DV resolution on import will still be 720x480. (NTSC ), which is poor, and you'll be better off croping the 4:3 footage for consistancy.

Since you said that letterboxing your 4:3 footage to match made things look "bad", I'm guessing that your letterboxed camera was "true 16:9". In this case, you're only alternative would be to pillarbox your 16:9 footage into 4:3. This is actually not as bad as the other way around, because you can "pan & scan" for scenes that require it ( well, not with imovie ) and your actual loss of video quality will be less ( not much less, but you're making the best of a bad situation )

Good luck! Sorry that you had such a disaster happen.