Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmealer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Hey :apple:tv faithful,

I just noticed these newsgroups had already been created, but they aren't posted to very frequently. If some of us could start posting to these we could build up the :apple:tv community, and spend more time downloading :apple:tv-friendly content, rather than downloading, then spending hours-on-end converting, just so we can watch it on our :apple:tvs. We could even come up with our own standards for 720p mp4s, DVD-ripped mp4s, converted divx and xvid, etc. (Copyright-free content only, of course ;))

Just make sure your news server allows anonymous posting before you post any content. :)

So, who's with me?

alt.binaries.appletv
alt.binaries.appletv.movies
alt.binaries.appletv.musicvideos
alt.binaries.appletv.tvshows

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Sounds like a good idea.

I dont have an Apple TV at the moment but I will hopefully be getting one in the next few weeks. Also I need to get a newsgroup reader setup. I will have a go now.

OK, I have got unison up and running but it can't find the servers that you have listed...

wmealer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Sounds like your service may not carry those groups. :(

They definitely exist, but some servers apparently don't offer them.

As a matter of fact, I just checked my server, and the only one on astraweb is alt.binaries.appletv

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
i am so far off the radar on newsgroups. I donwloaded something called newswatcher. How do I set it up to get on those newsgroups?

Sometimes your internet connection provides you with a server that you can access. However this does not always give you access to every newsgroup and you have to pay to access them all. If you download Unison then it explains everything pretty well.

WarEagle

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
Atlanta, Ga
Is anything already in the group? I went to it using a free news program and it didnt find anything but I think it only lets you see msgs that are current. I will sign up for one of the services right now I am ripping all my dvd box sets and its getting old fast.

wmealer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Is anything already in the group? I went to it using a free news program and it didnt find anything but I think it only lets you see msgs that are current. I will sign up for one of the services right now I am ripping all my dvd box sets and its getting old fast.

Yeah, it depends on which provider you use. For example, giganews retains binary posts for about 200 days. Binary retention for the service bundled in with a typical ISP is nowhere near that long. I can't stress enough, the importance of picking a service that allows anonymous posting. As soon as my current bill cycle has expired, I'll be changing over to a provider with this feature.

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
Yeah, it depends on which provider you use. For example, giganews retains binary posts for about 200 days. Binary retention for the service bundled in with a typical ISP is nowhere near that long. I can't stress enough, the importance of picking a service that allows anonymous posting. As soon as my current bill cycle has expired, I'll be changing over to a provider with this feature.

any free options?

exilim

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
What has happened with this idea??

Searching the internet I found this thread. I am looking for ATV / Apple TV fans who are using Newsgroups to collect .m4v movies.

I am very curious what happened with the original idea in this thread!

Who can tell me?

Gr.

Bob

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Searching the internet I found this thread. I am looking for ATV / Apple TV fans who are using Newsgroups to collect .m4v movies.

I am very curious what happened with the original idea in this thread!

Who can tell me?

Gr.

Bob

I'm really hoping you are trying to use ATV newsgroups to find legal/homemade .m4v movies and certainly not copyrighted material! Further, there are many other ways of finding legal material via more "modern" services, but most of those are used for illegal acquisition of content and we can not per the rules of this forum discuss illegal activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.