Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I finished exams and decided to, finally, install and open Need for Speed Carbon on my iMac (C2D 2.13GHz, 1GB RAM, ATi X1600).

Installed it without a hitch, and then clicked the Need for Speed icon...the programs opens, sound happens, and i can skip the intro movies by pressing enter...but the screen is black...wtf:confused:

I've looked around the internet...and a few people seem to be having the same problem as me, but noone has seemed to have solved it.

This has probably been asked here before, but does anyone have any idea what's going on or how to fix it?

:)thanks:)

sonofmof

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2005
UK
i have this problem too, but only since the upgrade to Leopard.

Not sure which OOS version you're usign but that might help to diagnose the issue.

I still haven't found a fix either.

C+C3 also was broken after the leopard upgrade, but it has been patched already.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
yeah, i'm using leopard (bought NFSC when i had tiger, but got leopard in the interim between that and installing it)

so does that mean we have to wait for a patch...there's nothing else we can do?

orredayo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
just download my working config-file from HTTP://www.olivergeffken.de/config.zip

and replace yours in User/Library/Preferences/Need for Speed Carbon

if you don't want to replace your file completely only cahnge this part

[d3dgl]
"AnisotropicTextureFiltering" = "Y"
"VertexShaders" = "Y"
; type of vertex shaders to use (Hardware/Software/Auto)
; hardware will use whatever the opengl drivers make available
; software will use winex software emulation (will be slow!)
; (has not been implemented yet!)
"VertexShaderMode" = "H"
"PixelShaders" = "Y"
; Which version of pixel shaders to attempt to use, if available
"PixelShadersLevel" = "2.0"
"VertexShadersLevel" = "2.0"
; enable software vertex blend weight support (Yes/No/Auto)
; provide software blending fallback if hardware support not available
; (has not been implemented yet!)
;; "SoftwareVertexBlending" = "Auto"
; (dev-only) Maximum number of texture stages that WineX should attempt to use (1-8)
;; "MaxTextureStages" = "8"
; (dev-only) Identify polygons under the mouse cursor
;; "InterceptMode" = "N"
; (dev-only) apply fragment translation in vertex program (No/Tex/Auto/Pos)
;;"FragmentOffset" = "Auto"
; use the fixed function over vertex shader pipeline (Yes/No/Auto)
"FixedProgram" = "Y"
"GLSL" = "N"
; (dev-only) Provide non power of two texture support using rectangle textures (Yes/No/Auto)
;;"RectangleTextures" = "Auto"
"FBO" = "Y"
"FBOCache" = "Y"
"FBOBackbuffer" = "N"
"DynamicVBO" = "Y"
"IndexVBO" = "N"

[opengl]
; Report a truncated list of OpenGL extensions to the application
;;"FixedGLExtensionBuffer" = "N"
; list of additions (+) or deletions (-) to the list of extensions
; reported when FixedGLExtensionBuffer is enabled. Note that extensions
; cannot be enabled if they are not supported by your video card/drivers
;;"GLExtensionBuffer" = "+GL_ARB_imaging,-GL_ARB_depth_texture"

Regards,

c_schipper

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Thanks orredayo, but it doesn't work for me either…
(MacBook Pro C2D, 128MB ATI X1600, OS X 10.5.1)

I really hope Apple/EA comes with a patch soon. Lots of people have this problem with their brand new EA game.

c_schipper

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
WOW!

I'm sorry orredayo, IT ACTUALLY DOES WORK!
The thing is that the edited config file should be of the exact same format as the original. Your zipped config file seems to be of a different 'filetype' than the original.

The Finder shows the difference by it's icon. The original file has a plain white icon, and the new file should also be like that. Alternatively, after pasting your code snippet and saving the file using TextEdit, the fileformat is also changed, so this doesn't work either. Now, what happens is that NFSC won't recognize this new config file and creates a default one in the same folder, just next to the edited file, with the same name. Result: still the black screen.

The trick that did it for me was editing and saving the config file using Coda, but other text editors might work, too. Just try! After doing this, the game starts, with both audio…AND VIDEO!

So, this is what made Need for Speed Carbon work for me on Leopard:

1. Find the NFSC config file in User/Library/Preferences/Need for Speed Carbon (you might want to make a backup copy of the file and put that, e.g. on the desktop)
2. Open the (original) file using Coda (I don't know about other texteditors, but TextEdit did not work)
3. Replace the [d3dgl] and [opengl] parts with orredayo's code (see post above)
4. Save the file (replacing the original)
5. Run Need for Speed!
------
6. If it doesn't work, check if NFSC created a new, 2nd config file in the same folder, next to the edited file. If this is the case, try to edit/save it in a different way, or using a different editor

Happy driving guys!

All credits to you, orredayo. Great stuff!

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Actually, the only reason the new config file doesn't work is because it has an ending. The original config file does not have an ending. So, the only thing you must do is to open the info panel in the finder, and remove the ending. Then, replace the original config file with the new one (after you have renamed it to "config") and you should be fine.

Thanks a lot guys. That worked for me.

sonofmof

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2005
UK
It works like a charm Orredayo !! :)

The NFS streets are once again my Playground

Thanks Very Much

dereklandon

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
Vancouver
I'm getting a different issue with the game.

Everything runs great. I can do quick races and everything. As soon as I enter career mode;however, it'll run up until the girl starts explaining about drifters and then the game will just exit, showing a black screen and then back to the desktop. I tried the fix that you posted and the problem still persists.

Any suggestions?

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Actually, I shouldn't have spoken so soon, too. My problem persists. Only the logos were OK. the actual game showed a blank screen again. Where is the patch, EA?

durtralp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
FYI Need for speed carbon on Imac

Hi,
NFS Carbon is running on my IMac with the latest Leopard system.

Sorry I can't help with the black screen problem other than say it can work.
I only have 1Mb of ram also.

Good luck
Ralph

AndyAP

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
I'm getting a different issue with the game.

Everything runs great. I can do quick races and everything. As soon as I enter career mode;however, it'll run up until the girl starts explaining about drifters and then the game will just exit, showing a black screen and then back to the desktop. I tried the fix that you posted and the problem still persists.

Any suggestions?

I have this same problem, also running on a MBP 2.2. I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.10.

itshungarian912

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
I have a 2.2 MBP and I have the crashing problem too. I replaced my config file with the one suggested and it seemed to run a bit better, but it still crashes. EA has relased patches for the PC version so why aren't they helping the Mac version?? Could someone who can run the game well without crashes put up links to files that work well? Can people run this game well under leopard? If so, I'll probably just upgrade...

itshungarian912

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
Crap... I tried messing with the config file as suggested above and I copied the original file just in case. I edited them in Coda and none of the suggested changes worked (and I tried many variants). The opening came up boxy and pixelated... oddly, I could hear sound, but no video. Then I could make out the general look of the game menus, but they looked pixelated and blurry. So I plopped the original config file back and now it doesn't work!! It still has the same pixelated menus!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!

asdasd616

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
With cider ther are 2 config files, one in the .app and the other in "~/Library/Preferences/NFSC Preferences/" cider reads from the one in your library first, so remove that aswell.

EDIT: I thought the instructions were for the file in the app, so this may not help.

itshungarian912

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
I tried copying the original config file from the NFSC DVD to the library folder and it still didn't work! I took some pictures of what im getting. Everything works great except the video, which is messed up. Oddly enough, the program had been quiting in the career mode (when the girl started talking about blockers drafters etc.), but while the graphics were messed up, i could actually complete the course with out it crashing. I would rather not do another install because I'm worried about losing my game data (btw, does anyone know which files are the game progress ones?) Anyways, here are some pictures i took of my screen:

Attachments

• DSCN0210.jpg
    DSCN0210.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 479
  • DSCN0211.jpg
    DSCN0211.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 277
  • DSCN0212.jpg
    DSCN0212.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 310

locoputo

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
Seeing thru this im seeing that people are still having problems with the config file of the game..
Ive uploaded mine at
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IS3APETP
which you can download.. I did exactly what orredayo did with his config file, and what he said in his post, and now its working well.

For those not sure how to use the file, download it. Make a backup copy of yours in User/Library/Preferences/Need for Speed Carbon/
and move the downloaded file in there. Game should run normally now!

Regards

hermitman

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
I use leopard 10.5.6
alum MACBOOK 466

solved by using the method provided by orredayo
Thanks

---------------------
NFS10 make every image inverse and mirrored~~~~~
I try to open the anti annalist, but it doesn`t work anyway......

Is anyone who solve this problem??

Thank you

-------------------------

tesler

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
same problem, did you solved it?

I tried copying the original config file from the NFSC DVD to the library folder and it still didn't work! I took some pictures of what im getting. Everything works great except the video, which is messed up. Oddly enough, the program had been quiting in the career mode (when the girl started talking about blockers drafters etc.), but while the graphics were messed up, i could actually complete the course with out it crashing. I would rather not do another install because I'm worried about losing my game data (btw, does anyone know which files are the game progress ones?) Anyways, here are some pictures i took of my screen:

HELP SAME PROBLEM, DOESNT SOLVE COPYING THE ORIGINAL CONFIG FILE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.