Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Last night I closed my iBook and set it on the desk as usual and this morning when I opened it up, the display was grainy so I shut it off and turned it back on ... this time it was still grainy but with clear grey "sheets" streaming down the display. So I reset again and this time the display didn't even turn on... what do I do? Take it into an Apple store?

Is there anything I can do on my own? This seems pretty bad.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
I'll have to try that out when I get home.

The only external monitor I have is for a PC. It's an NEC. Will that work?

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
You'll need the converter cable that came with your iBook to plug the jack from the monitor into and then plug that into the "video in" (sorry, I don't know their official names) port on your iBook (between the first USB and external speaker ports).

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Sounds like a bad video card or logic board. Get it to an Apple store or repair center asap. I seem to remember your other posts stating you are new to Macs so I am assuming your iBook i still in it's 1 year warranty.

macboyX

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
I am new to Macs, but this is my wife's iBook which was bought over a year ago. Think something like this will be expensive to repair? I guess I'll have to take it in to see...

dcb

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
It sounds like a logic board failure...cost - about $600USD depending on what model you have.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by Ryan1524
motherboard.

Basically, in a personal computer, the motherboard contains the bus, integrated circuits, and the microprocessor, used to control any built in peripherals such as the keyboard, text and graphics display, various ports(i.e. USB/Firewire/Serial) and mouse interfaces.
As suggested above, seek assistance from an Apple reseller.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
That's what I thought it was. I know what a motherboard is, just didn't know if logic board was the same thing ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.