Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Hi folks,

With the better battery life on the iPod, is there any reason to be able to enjoy Apple Lossless files on it now? In fact, there doesn't seem to be much as battery performance hit on the 6th generation iPods :)

Anyone else use ALAC files on their iPod (portable or stereo) on a daily basis?

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I do. Though I encode a lot of rock / pop with LAME in mp3 format, all my film scores and classical music go lossless, and I listen to that music frequently. Of course, I never had any trouble with my 5.5g iPod playing lossless files either. I've never had either (my current iPod Classic or my 5.5g iPod) die on me from regular usage. (my classic died on me today... without much usage at all. Not sure what happened there but it was definitely abnormal).

The question is, though, how many actual hours do you spend listening to music during the day? My guess is that the average person wouldn't run down one of the lastest iPods within a day unless they were primarily watching movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.