Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

touchher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Is it safe to use windex or other window cleaners on the iPod touch?

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Try it and let us know what happens, do.

However, I wouldn't let anything more potent than spit touch this device. If Apple doesn't recommend anything other than a soft cloth, damp at most, it probably has its reasons.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I have always used Johnson's Window/Glass cleaner here in the UK on my iPods (several that I have owned since 2002), and I've never ever had a problem. I don't spray directly on the iPod though. Spray it onto a soft cloth first.

Most of the time, I use a microfibre cloth just to wipe grease marks off. Occasionally though, I like to give it a good clean. That is when the window cleaner comes in handy.

My iPods don't even have the 100s of fine scratches you normally see on the aluminium backing.

David

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Windex is the best thing to use on the iPod Touch IMO. Use it on the top and on the bottom metal part, it's safe. I always use it, it takes the smudges off and gives it a nice sheen.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
hot moist breath treatment is normally enough for high dollar items. Just fog it up with your breath and wipe it down. Nothing to it.

Bambeezer

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Dallas, TX
I wipe mine down with rubbing alcohol after going to the gym with it. It works great to remove smudges. I'm kind of a germ freak' so my main concern is to just kill gym germies. :D

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
It is NEVER a good idea to keep liquids on any type of screen, I have seen the damages of seepage behind LCD monitors. Just wet the cloth with it first, wipe it down, and then wipe it off.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
I bought this cleaning solution when I bought my iPod from bestbuy... I really didn't want it but the guy that was cashing me out was pushing it...and it was only 2 bucks :p Guess I can afford that if I can afford a $400 media player... It works great though, even has scratch remover but I have yet to use it.

bfishel123

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010

I JUST SPRAYED MY IPOD TOUCH (1G) WITH WINDEX NOW IT IS ALL SCREWED UP... IT THINKS THE POWER BUTTON IS BEING HELD DOWN CONSTANTLY... THERE IS A BLACK SPLOTCH ON THE SCREEN THAT DOSENT RESPOND TO TOUCH... AND WHEN IT IS TURNED OFF THE APPLE LOGO FLICKERS ON AND OFF... Even though i actually dont think its too dangerous... i feel like i put way to much windex on.. but im waiting to see if it will dry out or something then it will magically work

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I JUST SPRAYED MY IPOD TOUCH (1G) WITH WINDEX NOW IT IS ALL SCREWED UP... IT THINKS THE POWER BUTTON IS BEING HELD DOWN CONSTANTLY... THERE IS A BLACK SPLOTCH ON THE SCREEN THAT DOSENT RESPOND TO TOUCH... AND WHEN IT IS TURNED OFF THE APPLE LOGO FLICKERS ON AND OFF... Even though i actually dont think its too dangerous... i feel like i put way to much windex on.. but im waiting to see if it will dry out or something then it will magically work

Quite the thread bump. And punctuation.. and please don't use all caps.

What you probably failed to do was spray the cleaning solution on the "paper towel" or other cloth and then applied to the iPod's screen. Never spray a liquid directly onto an electronic device. Common sense man.

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010

What you probably failed to do was spray the cleaning solution on the "paper towel" or other cloth and then applied to the iPod's screen. Never spray a liquid directly onto an electronic device. Common sense man.

Yeah, seriously, I've been using Windex on my DS, PSP, and iPod touch for years, and nothing happened. It's just common sense NOT to spray directly on the screen...

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Uhhmmmm... Just wow. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever spray a liquid directly on a screen.

sweetchick

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
i used windex on my apple iPod touch and it worked good except it left streaks so i had to fix that other wise i strongly suggest if you are going to clean your iPod screen use windex. :) WARNING: never ever spray it directly on to the screen spray it on a soft cloth first.

sweetchick

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
hot moist breath treatment is normally enough for high dollar items. Just fog it up with your breath and wipe it down. Nothing to it.

just to let u know.. the hot breath treatment doesn't work that good and it is not good for your ipod.just thought id let u know;)

sweetchick

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010

i tottlaly agree u should have used common sense. i mean really ur going to randomly spray something on to a expensive device?? COMMON SENSE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.