Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pmsharp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Here's the situation. I run mac 10.5 on a mac pro, however my hard drive is rather full. I also have a 300GB external hard drive at this point totally empty. What' I would like to do is be able to use the external hard drive to.
A. Serve as a back up via time machine. (no more than 120 gb)
B. Allow me to boot windows XP via Boot Camp. (No more than 50 gb)
C. Allow extra room for assorted storage.

Is this possible, if so how would I approach it, and or could anyone point me in the direction of guides to do the proceeding?

Thank you

IBitePrettyHard

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
The only problem with booting up to an external drive is that the computer is hampered by the USB or Firewire port you're using to connect the hard drive. They just don't have the bandwidth, and I'd imagine it would be tough to run anything that way.

I think the only exception to this is getting a Firewire 800 enabled hard drive.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
How big is your internal? I'm using a 120GB partition for my 118GB internal Macbook HD and I had to exclude quite a few things before Time Machine would let me start using it to back up.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
You can do all this.
You will need to partition the drive with disk utility though first. One partion for TM, one for BootCamp, and one for extra storage.

I suggest putting the drive in your macpro or getting another drive though, as the speed increase would be helpfull in booting windows, but not necessary. The only problem I see is that bootcamp won't let you instal on an external HD, but I would guess there is a work-around for that (don't quote me on that one).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.