PDA

View Full Version : Apple Event: October 24th?




arn
Sep 22, 2003, 03:26 PM
According to a reader submission, Apple appears to be in the process of organizing an Apple Store event for October 24th, 2003.

A specific request to a lighting company apparently involves projecting a large "X" into the sky.

In a potentially related note: Panther has been rumored for mid-late October.



Kwyjibo
Sep 22, 2003, 03:27 PM
nah nah nah nah batman

MrMacMan
Sep 22, 2003, 03:28 PM
Really Cool.

You need it to be really dark however.

And no rain...

:rolleyes:


Very cool if true

Freg3000
Sep 22, 2003, 03:29 PM
Here we go.....October 24 is a Friday in case you were wondering.

Panther: T-32 days. :D

evolu
Sep 22, 2003, 03:30 PM
panther panther panther panther

noneis
Sep 22, 2003, 03:31 PM
anyone here that got their powerbook yet, did you get a upgrade coupon for panther in the box? hope they offer some kind of cheaper upgrade price for people who just purchased the new powerbooks.

trog
Sep 22, 2003, 03:36 PM
Maybe their going to release a Powermac G5 with dual processors. I've heard some say they are working on it, but I'm not sure I believe it.

simX
Sep 22, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by trog
Maybe their going to release a Powermac G5 with dual processors. I've heard some say they are working on it, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Um, have you not heard? There's a dual 2 GHz PowerMac G5 out already. :p

ashish100
Sep 22, 2003, 03:44 PM
you mean like *another* DP g5 rite, since there already is one...

neb_greely
Sep 22, 2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by trog
Maybe their going to release a Powermac G5 with dual processors. I've heard some say they are working on it, but I'm not sure I believe it.


After doing a series of rapid eye blinking, I'm still giggling from this.
But truthfully, they're not going to release any G5 macs until they update the 15" powerbooks and release Jaguar.

ashish100
Sep 22, 2003, 03:46 PM
heheh

bennetsaysargh
Sep 22, 2003, 03:47 PM
this is so groovy!
"quick woz, to SoHo!"
:D

bbarnhart
Sep 22, 2003, 03:48 PM
Hey, maybe Amazon will offer a huge rebate on Panther like they did for Jaguar. Remember, they offered $40 or $50 rebate for about a day and then pulled it.

noneis
Sep 22, 2003, 03:50 PM
dont remeber that, im a first tim emac owner, i just hope apple dosnt expect me to pay another 150 or somthing ontop of the 3000 i already gave them ;\

ashish100
Sep 22, 2003, 03:54 PM
and how did you come to have this expectation???

Lancetx
Sep 22, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by noneis
dont remeber that, im a first tim emac owner, i just hope apple dosnt expect me to pay another 150 or somthing ontop of the 3000 i already gave them ;\

Well, we already know it's going to be $129, or $69 thru the EDU store. Probably if you buy a new Mac within 30 days or so of the release date, you'll get it for free (plus $20 for S&H).

Either way, October 24th sounds good to me...I'll be there! :)

noneis
Sep 22, 2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by noneis
i just hope apple dosnt expect me

see the "hope" in there, that means they probably wont, but i "hope" they will...

Flowbee
Sep 22, 2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by noneis
dont remeber that, im a first tim emac owner, i just hope apple dosnt expect me to pay another 150 or somthing ontop of the 3000 i already gave them ;\

Woah... that's an expensive emac! :D

noneis
Sep 22, 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Woah... that's an expensive emac!

haha yeah that is suppsoed to read, "time mac" , i got the workz though, powerbook 1.25 with 1 gig ram, and the apple wireless mouse and keyboard(both got here today, ahead of my powerbook).

Fender2112
Sep 22, 2003, 04:02 PM
What? Only one Batman crack?! You guys are pathetic. I expected better from you folks that read these boards.:mad:

"Holy crap Billy Boy, there's a Panther on the loose. We better put the Longhorn in the barn so it won't get slaughtered."

GROOOWL
moo
ROOOAR
moo
GROOOWL
moo
BURP

"I think we're too late ....RUN!!!!"

centauratlas
Sep 22, 2003, 04:04 PM
It has to be G5 Powerbooks.....

























JUST KIDDING!

BeakerAndGreg
Sep 22, 2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by noneis
anyone here that got their powerbook yet, did you get a upgrade coupon for panther in the box? hope they offer some kind of cheaper upgrade price for people who just purchased the new powerbooks.

I picked up my 15" Powerbook last Wednesday from an Apple store. No coupon for Panther enclosed :(

Stella
Sep 22, 2003, 04:10 PM
It was rumoured that iTunes for Windows was due for release late October, could it be this?

Also, rumoured that Pather will be released to manufacturers within 3 weeks.

If it does take three weeks for Pather to go Gold, is there enough time for Pather to be on the shelves for th 24 Oct? I can't imagine that they'd go to all this trouble just to announce Pather..

Of course, could be something different entirely.

Given a guess between iTunes or Pather... I think pather.

ColoJohnBoy
Sep 22, 2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by neb_greely
After doing a series of rapid eye blinking, I'm still giggling from this.
But truthfully, they're not going to release any G5 macs until they update the 15" powerbooks and release Jaguar.

Okay, that's just funny.

MetallicPenguin
Sep 22, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Stella
It was rumoured that iTunes for Windows was due for release late October, could it be this?

Also, rumoured that Pather will be released to manufacturers within 3 weeks.

If it does take three weeks for Pather to go Gold, is there enough time for Pather to be on the shelves for th 24 Oct? I can't imagine that they'd go to all this trouble just to announce Pather..

Of course, could be something different entirely.

Given a guess between iTunes or Pather... I think pather.

Don't forget to put those N's in there.:p

bennetsaysargh
Sep 22, 2003, 05:47 PM
what would a big "X" have to do with iTunes?
you need to think logical.
anyway, do you think the lights will be at all apple stores? or just the big 3?
me and my brother are planning to camp out in front of palisades like usual for events:p

noneis
Sep 22, 2003, 05:48 PM
haha so i just realized one of the benifits of being a student developer, i get free gold master updates of the OS, so much for stressing on the price of updating a month after buying a new comp...

mim
Sep 22, 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by trog
Maybe their going to release a Powermac G5 with dual processors. I've heard some say they are working on it, but I'm not sure I believe it.

LOL!

I'm guessing you're not too happy with a particular university at the moment?

Freg3000
Sep 22, 2003, 06:39 PM
Update: October 24th reportedly also coincides with a new Apple Store opening in San Diego, CA at University Towncenter Mall.

Well, unless this is the start of a trend where Apple sets up a nighttime display of Mac Os X's in the sky, I'd say it is more than just a store opening. Is there anything particularly special about this store (as opposed to the other 5,000 in Southern California?)

:D

Omek
Sep 22, 2003, 06:46 PM
Holy rusted brushed metal Batman!

Panther and iTunes Windows. Yep...

RichP
Sep 22, 2003, 09:56 PM
Mmm...Panther..

Soho people..we should have a macrumors get together and rush the store; bring powerbooks and do the upgrade on the spot..lol.

brianbobcat
Sep 22, 2003, 10:37 PM
I hope that if they do have a giant spotlight in the sky, that they have one at every flagship store (the grove, soho, and of course,NORTH MICHIGAN AVENUE!!!!) If they only have it in california, every mac fan in cal. better bring cameras and share plenty of pics for everyone else. I can't wait!! I love waiting in line for apple stuff, ex. woodfield, oakbrook, North Michigan Avenue apple store openings; ipod live 5.02.03, and soon old orchard apple store opening and panther!!!!

I LOVE APPLE!!!!!!

-BRIAN

Doctor Q
Sep 22, 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
what would a big "X" have to do with iTunes?Maybe the X in the sky is a Batman-style signal to summon the X-Men and an iTunes DJ will play the X-Men theme song? OK, maybe that's a bit of a streeeeeeeeeeeetch.

bennetsaysargh
Sep 23, 2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Maybe the X in the sky is a Batman-style signal to summon the X-Men and an iTunes DJ will play the X-Men theme song? OK, maybe that's a bit of a streeeeeeeeeeeetch.
lol. i seriously doubt iTunes for windows unless if it's not on october 24th.
i would expect it to be closer to the holidays because of iPod sales and other stuff like that.

littlemacdude
Sep 23, 2003, 06:02 AM
If Apple's gonna put it in the sky,than what will they do for the stores at the malls.Perhaps they put the X on the ceiling.:confused:







Hurry Was to the Palisades

G4scott
Sep 23, 2003, 10:28 AM
No no no, guys, you've got it all wrong...

Apple actually ordered three of these lights for this store to spell out "XXX". They're just having "Free Strippers at the Apple Store" night! Woo Hoo!!! I need to get a plane ticket...

With every copy of panther you buy, you get a free lap-dance. With every new iTMS for windows account you setup, you get a free show, and a lap-dance for every 120 songs you buy...

Apple's showing the RIAA how to sell music...

applemacdude
Sep 23, 2003, 12:13 PM
So if I buy an imac today and Panther comes out, within a month can i get it for free?

NeonFrog-
Sep 23, 2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
So if I buy an imac today and Panther comes out, within a month can i get it for free?

Sex is never free! NEVER!!

Bunzi2k4
Sep 23, 2003, 02:53 PM
sweet ther's gonna be another apple store in San Diego!!! sweet i'm gonna have to go and check it out :-D

bennetsaysargh
Sep 23, 2003, 03:19 PM
lol. lap dance with copy of panther!
i am sure a lot of you will buy a few copies of panther;)

G4scott
Sep 23, 2003, 04:29 PM
If you buy the family pack, they'll take you to the back room...

the future
Sep 24, 2003, 08:11 AM
But most geeks will prefer to rush home to install Panther, won't they...

cubist
Sep 24, 2003, 11:34 AM
I don't think they'd have an in-store event for iTunes for Windows. How would they run it, in VPC?

dabirdwell
Sep 24, 2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by noneis
haha so i just realized one of the benifits of being a student developer, i get free gold master updates of the OS, so much for stressing on the price of updating a month after buying a new comp...

I didn't know about this, I am a student Developer member also, do you know if this is confirmed? Will we receive it in the Developer tools mailing?

moby1
Sep 25, 2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by dabirdwell
I didn't know about this, I am a student Developer member also, do you know if this is confirmed? Will we receive it in the Developer tools mailing?

You'll probably get it about a month after the retail version goes out. ;)

nyctopterus
Sep 25, 2003, 07:54 AM
Big X? Big deal?

XServes and Panther.

plinkoman
Sep 25, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by ashish100
you mean like *another* DP g5 rite, since there already is one...

duh, he was obviously making fun of the shipping delays on the dual G5....

chacha75
Sep 26, 2003, 07:59 AM
I really hope so...I've been waiting patiently for Panther and the new 12" Powerbook 1Ghz....If both ship by the end of next month that would be so cool...:D

Dhrakar
Sep 28, 2003, 12:41 AM
Another intereseting possibility of having the Apple event around the 24th, is that the O'Reilly OS X conference starts on the 27th of October. Wouldn't it be cool if Apple decides to do the announcement at the conference? Hmmmm....