PDA

View Full Version : Vista Non-Intel Mac Experiment

slooksterPSV
Nov 23, 2007, 11:57 PM
I think I have posted on this before, but I'm just curious if anything in Leopard will change how Vista will run in Virtual PC 7.0.3. Right now I'm installing Vista Basic. If you have Virtual PC 7 and want to try this with your Non-Intel Mac here's how you do it:

--When you create the Virtual Machine set it as Windows XP Pro. Create the Virtual PC (if it's on an external it's usually faster (if its Firewire I should say)). Now when it starts immediately turn off the virtual pc and go to the pc settings:

--Make your RAM Minimum of 512MB (you must have 1GB or more RAM to do this), and your Video RAM at peak top, mine is 16MB for the Vista Config. If you have a 64MB, choose 32, more VRAM helps to offload use of CPU for rendering.

--Next (for laptops) as soon as you click to start the Virtual PC press SHIFT+FN+DELETE and press DELETE with SHIFT and FN held down repeatedly so that you can get into the BIOS settings. Go to the tab where you make APMI (sp?) Enabled (Advanced Power Managment Interface?) Safe the settings and continue.

--Now if you're using a disk image, you have to use Toast to mount the ISO/Image file. Otherwise just pop the CD in and run.

--Now you wait, last time I did this it took 4-6 hours to install. So I'm going to let it install and post more instructions for getting it to run well. Remember vista requires 1GHz or more of CPU power. So if you have less than a 1.2GHz machine, I wouldn't recommend trying it (unless you have Dual Core G4's for a tower that add-up to more than 1.2 GHz)

I'd like to hear if anyone has done this on a G5 and how well it ran.