PDA

View Full Version : iPhone won't turn on... Please help!

JSMencer
Nov 24, 2007, 12:01 AM
OK, so my phone was only halfway charged, it died, and i cant get it to turn back on... My charger doesn't seem to be giving it a charge as well. Should i go to AT&T and try a different charger? I have no clue what to do. Please help me.

EricNau
Nov 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
Try this: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/troubleshooting/phone/

Kamera RAWr
Nov 24, 2007, 12:31 AM
You might try holding down the power and home buttons at the same time. Wait until you see the silver apple. Thats what I did when mine wouldn't turn back on. :)

JSMencer
Nov 24, 2007, 09:00 AM
I tried both of these. the home and power button wont reset it, and the charger doesnt charge it. I know its dead (battery) but how do i get it to charge.

Kamera RAWr
Nov 24, 2007, 03:43 PM
I don't know much about this kind of problem, but you might want to do some Googling around or even call Apple Tech support :)

JSMencer
Nov 25, 2007, 08:41 AM
so apple support set me up with an appointment at the apple store to see if they can fix it, if they cant they said they will give me a new iPhone. This just sucks cuz i am out of a phone till monday. Thats a weekend. I guess i'll live.

richiepad11
Aug 12, 2008, 03:11 PM
so, i woke up this morning to charge my phone and nope!!!! nothing......
its is dead. once i put my iphone in the dock there was a red batter symbol with the lightening bolt, but that was it. after 30 minutes of charging it still would not turn on. now im here at the apple store and im gunna have to wait about 2 hours in order for them to check it out and get me a new phone:)

pscoble
Aug 18, 2008, 04:09 PM
Please Delete. Thanks.

sm86
Oct 5, 2008, 02:46 PM
so, i woke up this morning to charge my phone and nope!!!! nothing......
its is dead. once i put my iphone in the dock there was a red batter symbol with the lightening bolt, but that was it. after 30 minutes of charging it still would not turn on. now im here at the apple store and im gunna have to wait about 2 hours in order for them to check it out and get me a new phone:)

I had the same exact problem and I was able to fix it! No need to take it to Apple.

(specifically convenient for those of us that got the iphone 3g on ebay)

This is how it happened:

I was talking on the iphone when it said that my battery had less than 10% so, I went ahead and connected it to the wall charger I have for it and continued to talk. 30 mins later the iphone just turned off completely. I was pretty upset to say the least. I went to turn it on again and found the same exact picture being described. I figured I just had to let it be for a few hours on the wall charger.

The next day in the morning I find out that the iphone had the same picture and had not charged 1 bit!

I restarted it (pressed the power and home buttons to force it to shut down and turned it on again) and nothing, same picture. I took out the charger and put it back, nothing, same picture (it would even turn off if I didn't put the charger back in right away).

I then used my USB dock (a dock actually for the old iphone version, but that still works for the 3g, if you force it in). And nothing my computer would not recognize it.

Finally I thought of something:

I placed in the dock and turned it on, once again giving me the annoying battery screen. However, this time I actually restarted my computer. My rational was that if the device was connected while it was booting up the computer had to recognize it somehow.

During my computer's boot sequence the iphone appeared to had turned off, I didn't touch anything though. After windows loaded, I noticed that still the iphone was black as if it was turned off. Thinking that it probably ran out battery once again, I went to turn on the iphone while still having it on the dock (during this whole time I had not removed it from the dock).

And alas! I saw the apple symbol and my springboard showed up!

It is now currently charging (I can see the charge increase on the screen, when I lock the screen, it is now halfway and green) on my usb dock.

I went to place it back on the wall charger though and it seems that it doesn't work. I will be buying a new wall charger soon.

I am thinking when I was talking on the iphone and connected it to the wall it simply never charged and thus the battery completely drained. As soon as I placed it on something that wasn't broken (ie: my iphone usb dock) it started to charge but still was frozen on that (stupid) battery screen. Restarting my computer while connected did something to the iphone so that now it is fully operational. All without having to resort to apple's communist ways of trying to control all aspects of your life.

Personally I'm not an apple fan. I "gave into" the whole iphone thing when I figured out there was a generation of people my age committed into fighting back the apple empire while still using its technology.

Cheers

Minimoose 360
Oct 5, 2008, 07:47 PM
I had this same thin happen to me for about 3 days.

Then I took it to the Apple Store and they gave me a new one...which is good because my old one had some dents from getting smushed in a carry-on luggage bag. :rolleyes:

DreamiPhone
Nov 16, 2008, 01:19 PM
You might try holding down the power and home buttons at the same time. Wait until you see the silver apple. Thats what I did when mine wouldn't turn back on. :)

Kamera RAWr, you ROCK!! That SO worked! Thank you!! :D

Jeepersca
Jun 21, 2009, 01:56 AM

Thanks!!! :D

jb2300
Jun 28, 2009, 07:39 AM
Phone shut off last nite had some battery left so plugged it in last nite ,this morning still nothing wont start went out plugged into my car charger with in 10 mins she came back to life. Maybe it will work for some of you good luck

itsgonewrong
Jul 7, 2009, 09:51 AM
Ok so last night I was putting a tv showon my iphone(I have a 3g s if it makes a diffrence), i synced with itunes, and at the time it had 33% but then I pressed eject and it said ok to disconnect, so I took it out plugged it into the wall with the usb and wall charger adapter to let the usb go into wall, so then I decided to take it out again and charge it upsstairs because other people were at my house and they were prbable going to mess with it and I plugged it in upstairs in my bedroom, and I just woke up this morning and, IT WONT TURN ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tryed puting it on itunes to see if that will help(because once I accidentaly deleted all data and setings on my phone) and it doesnt come up on my computer with IPHONE, where it shows it next to the c drive icon, nor will itunes recognize it........ I dont know what to do I tryed everything and it still hasnt worked!! very upset:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

calvinsc
Jul 10, 2009, 09:22 PM
I had the same exact problem and I was able to fix it! No need to take it to Apple.

This is how it happened:

I was talking on the iphone when it said that my battery had less than 10% so, I went ahead and connected it to the wall charger I have for it and continued to talk. 30 mins later the iphone just turned off completely. I was pretty upset to say the least. I went to turn it on again and found the same exact picture being described. I figured I just had to let it be for a few hours on the wall charger.

The next day in the morning I find out that the iphone had the same picture and had not charged 1 bit!

I restarted it (pressed the power and home buttons to force it to shut down and turned it on again) and nothing, same picture. I took out the charger and put it back, nothing, same picture (it would even turn off if I didn't put the charger back in right away).

I then used my USB dock (a dock actually for the old iphone version, but that still works for the 3g, if you force it in). And nothing my computer would not recognize it.

I placed in the dock and turned it on, once again giving me the annoying battery screen. However, this time I actually restarted my computer. My rational was that if the device was connected while it was booting up the computer had to recognize it somehow.

During my computer's boot sequence the iphone appeared to had turned off, I didn't touch anything though. After windows loaded, I noticed that still the iphone was black as if it was turned off. Thinking that it probably ran out battery once again, I went to turn on the iphone while still having it on the dock (during this whole time I had not removed it from the dock).

It is now currently charging (I can see the charge increase on the screen, when I lock the screen, it is now halfway and green) on my usb dock.

I went to place it back on the wall charger though and it seems that it doesn't work. I will be buying a new wall charger soon.

I am thinking when I was talking on the iphone and connected it to the wall it simply never charged and thus the battery completely drained. As soon as I placed it on something that wasn't broken (ie: my iphone usb dock) it started to charge but still was frozen on that (stupid) battery screen. Restarting my computer while connected did something to the iphone so that now it is fully operational. All without having to resort to apple's communist ways of trying to control all aspects of your life.

Personally I'm not an apple fan. I "gave into" the whole iphone thing when I figured out there was a generation of people my age committed into fighting back the apple empire while still using its technology.

Cheers

Thank god for this post.

I am using an 8GB iphone 3G with OS 3.0 JBed.

My sis was playing games on my phone until the battery depleted. I thought a charge overnight would solve the problem. But NOPE! I woke up the next morning, the battery indicator was still red. So, as usual, googled and this topic came out as one of the results.

I tried restarting using my laptop. It didn't work. Then i plugged it into my desktop to restart. I am not too sure of the right procedure to get it working though.

At first I tried it when the indicator was still showing. No luck. Tried a hard reset to the point it just turned off. I left it plugged into the desktop and restarted again.

I went for a quick toilet break. Came back, pressed the power button, the apple logo showed and it booted. It was 7% Charge left in the battery. At this point of typing, it's 47%. I sure hope it will charge to a 100%

Thanks again! Will update one I get a 100% full charge.

Update: Phone fully charged! Phew!!!

xxsk777
Jul 14, 2009, 08:23 PM
there is an easier way instead of just guessing....
when you plug it into any form of charging source...just completely shut down your iphone...and leave it there for how ever long it takes to charge...(to be able to use it again is about 30 minutes)depends on your energy source

Akatosh66
Jul 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
Well im having the same issue sort of you see my phone was working just fine one day and i had to reboot my device and well when it was at the apple logo it just stays there and it wont turn on past that i've tried putting it into recovery mode it doesnt work i've also tried putting it into dfu mode and still no dice i havent connected it to my PC yet to see if itunes will pick it up but im certain it won't due to the issue at hand and i dont think i should take it to apple because my iphone is jailbroken and whatnotl...anyone care to share some thoughts oh and also i have the first gen iphone the one before the 3G and 3Gs

tomwatson53
Jul 22, 2009, 01:14 PM
First open iTunes and Conect your iPhone cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while conecting the iPhone cord into your iPhone continue to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes. Good Luck!

mumtaz
Aug 3, 2009, 12:13 PM

To think that I laughed when I read your suggestion! Thanks a lot...its saved me!

Blue Fox
Aug 3, 2009, 12:15 PM
I tried both of these. the home and power button wont reset it, and the charger doesnt charge it. I know its dead (battery) but how do i get it to charge.

If you ran the battery dead and it shut itself off, you have to plug it and wait 5 or so minutes for it to charge up for a little bit, THEN you can go and turn it on. My iPod touch did the same thing, Thought it was broke, but I had to let it charge for a little bit before attempting to turn it back on.

sonthomsen
Aug 18, 2009, 08:56 AM
First open iTunes and Conect your iPhone cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while conecting the iPhone cord into your iPhone continue to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes. Good Luck!

YEAH man!!

thanks....

You rock!

profipix
Aug 27, 2009, 01:06 AM
I'm glad I found this forum.
Guys, I have similar problem.
I connect my iphone (2nd generation) to comp, it says right away that it's connected to itunes. Itunes does not find the phone.
Then the phone start blinking, restarting, starting from the silver apple screen, turns off, then starts again, with that apple screen, then turns off again, and just cycles like that.
I have no clue what could be the cause. I've tried holding those 2 buttons, and played w/ them, no luck. Itunes is the latest version. Runnig WinXP SP2. Drivers are good.
check out the attached zip for info...

lgphone
Aug 29, 2009, 08:11 PM

Thank you so much!!! I spent 3 hours messing with my phone thinking that it was broken. This was the fix!!

mjritter
Sep 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah my iPhone seemed fine, but I pulled it out randomly and it wasn't on...the screen was just black and unresponsive. I went home and plugged it into the wall, nothing happened. Panicked, I plugged it into my MacBook, only to get the same result. Hopped on here and read that I should hold the home button and the lock button down at the same time for 10 seconds...and it worked. Hope this helps. Sometimes my phone will just randomly die even when its says it's half-charged a few minutes beforehand. You all know how Apple batteries are.

LoriSD5
Sep 17, 2009, 11:15 PM

I had to hold down both for almost 10 seconds and then it came out. Maybe try plugging it in and then holding down both.

LoriSD5
Sep 17, 2009, 11:18 PM

Thanks!

champ01
Sep 18, 2009, 03:40 AM
Why the hell is everybody saying to reset the phone

this is a bug in the 3.1 update!

GET THAT!

But hey if you wanna keep resetting your phone....

PUT THIS 3.1 PROBLEM ON THE FRONT PAGE TO MANY PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS YOU CAN"T COVER THIS UP!

mattbandrews
Sep 18, 2009, 06:56 AM

That's got it in one. Thanks for solving.

brewno
Sep 20, 2009, 01:34 AM
Wow, I got this today. I didn't know this was happening so often. Thanks for the tip, it worked.

TJROCKSTAR
Sep 23, 2009, 07:06 AM
My iphone was working fine (1st Gen) it went to 10% battery life, then I went to bed, put it on the charger, pulled it off to check latenight emails, and putit back on, for some sleepy time. Woke up 5 hours later, and it's D-E-D DEad! no low battery scene, no scene life at all.. no response to usual efforts to power on/off, and reset. Pulled it into a second base charger, a Laptop via USB, my Mac Mini via usb, and finally the iphone wall socket charger. NOTHING!!!!
She's not responding to anything. home/power for 10 seconds? Nothing. alt. between the two for any life, Nothing! shaking it around like a bluefaced baby, whacking it on it's back to dislodge whatever is stuck?? NOTHING!

Granted it did take a swim in a bucket of water a few months back (drunk wife got clumbsy)
I'm thinking about to Pop the back off and go all ifixit.com on it. Anything else I should try before I dig in?

MOre importantly... anyone know how to retrieve the data?

rickravit
Sep 27, 2009, 09:52 AM

This is how it happened:

Cheers

Very strange scenario... my iphone had full charge
but having it connected to computer and powering off the on...
did the trick.. thanks for your post... and your time of tinkering around.

tplunk
Sep 28, 2009, 05:58 PM
My iphone would not turn on... I pressed home and power and the same time intil the silver apple showed up. Waited about 15 sec. and pushed power again and it turned on...

snapshots4383
Oct 2, 2009, 03:21 AM
OK, so I've been having the same problem both on my iphone and my husbands. I have tried all suggestions given on this forum and none of them have worked on either phone. I am beginning to think that maybe you all just got lucky and your phone just randomly happened to turn on when you tried these things and it had nothing to do with what you were actually doing. So even though it seemed that what you did was the solution, I think maybe it was dumb luck. Good luck to anyone else with this problem. I'm taking mine back to get a new one. I've only had it for a month and my husband only 2 months. If Apple is supposed to have the best technology, then why is half the world in possession of iPhones that don't work. It doesn't seem to matter what version you have. Some have speculated that it is all being caused because of the 3.1 update. There was supposed to be something in there that prolonged battery life and instead it just killed everyones phones. I don't know about the rest of you but I believe it. My phone and my husbands phone worked just fine before we downloaded the update and then like a week later they both just quit working. Thanks Apple for selling me a pretty black paperweight.

ifoglia
Oct 9, 2009, 10:46 PM
this has happened a few times for me. Plugging my phone into my computer verses the wall charger usually solves it.

wetiphone
Oct 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
Please please please!!!!

Take a look at my thread on how to fix an iphone with water damage, I might have killed it and I'm not sure, I posted a thread today, please help me.

It was a gift and it's my #1 tool, I'l get in so much trouble if it dies....

Even if it died do you know where to take it?

brewno
Oct 10, 2009, 04:59 PM
Apparently this bug was fixed with the new update.

elainecheng
Oct 15, 2009, 04:18 PM
I had this same thin happen to me for about 3 days.

Then I took it to the Apple Store and they gave me a new one...which is good because my old one had some dents from getting smushed in a carry-on luggage bag. :rolleyes:

what if you didn't buy it from the apple store? Would they still give you a new one?

elainecheng
Oct 15, 2009, 05:56 PM
I unlocked/jailbreaked my iphone & accidentally i updated it so it got locked .. & ever since then my iphone wouldn't open even with the right sim. What should i do? Would the apple store help me repair it? & i've tried all the solutions it still doesn't work..

Cronkodile
Oct 22, 2009, 10:30 AM
You might try holding down the power and home buttons at the same time. Wait until you see the silver apple. Thats what I did when mine wouldn't turn back on.

Works++! Saved me too.

If this isn't working for you, you might try doing it while the iPhone is plugged in, as it may not have enough juice to restart without it.

oneworldstrong
Nov 2, 2009, 02:31 AM
Bravo to the person who schooled on connecting iphone cord to mac, opening itunes... and big up's to the person who told me to hold both keys and then connect- and can't forget the person who said let it charge for 5 minutes first. Used those tactics -- phone is now back up and charging!

THANK YOU!

johnei
Nov 7, 2009, 12:55 PM

This is how it happened:

Cheers

hey that worked perfectly....i let my phone die over night..too tired to charge, woke up went to charge it, lightning bolt sign comes on...this had happened to me before but after about 10mins the phone turned on, so i figured it was too low of a charge to turn on, well this time it didnt turn on after hours, i came across this forum tried all, it would do the same thing no matter where i charged it, finnally restarted the pc with the iphone plug into it via usb cable, and everything was good to go.............i believe its a firmware glitch as my wall charger is fine and if i dont let the phone die this problem will not happen....my wall charger is charging my phone and has been fine since i had this problem.....thanks for your help bud

Goffy29
Nov 8, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hello!

I have problem with my iPhone 3G S! When i turn it on, first appers silver logo, then after a few minutes it appers savescreen and after few seconds it's reseting by itself and that is just keep going and going till I turn it of!!! Can anybody help me???? Plz?

boston44
Nov 8, 2009, 04:06 PM
I unlocked/jailbreaked my iphone & accidentally i updated it so it got locked .. & ever since then my iphone wouldn't open even with the right sim. What should i do? Would the apple store help me repair it? & i've tried all the solutions it still doesn't work..

What generation do you have? The apple store is not going to help you unlock it...

-aggie-
Nov 8, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hello!

I have problem with my iPhone 3G S! When i turn it on, first appers silver logo, then after a few minutes it appers savescreen and after few seconds it's reseting by itself and that is just keep going and going till I turn it of!!! Can anybody help me???? Plz?

Try a restore in DFU mode.

Little HZ
Nov 8, 2009, 04:14 PM
... I "gave into" the whole iphone thing when I figured out there was a generation of people my age committed into fighting back the apple empire while still using its technology.

OK, I don't want to hijack this thread, and it looks as if you have solved several people's problems, so good on you for that, but ... what? Can you amplify on what you mean by this quote? :confused:

Paddy C
Nov 8, 2009, 09:00 PM
Phones a couple of months old and died this morning after halfway through sending a txt. Tried charging it and only the red battery indicator coming up. No response at all. Found you guys and tried doing everything everybody said to try (holding both buttons down while connecting the cord to the computer while doing a headstand was a challenge). Gave up and went to swap sim cards to back up phone. Plugged it into the mac AFTER removing the sim card (don't know why) and blow me down, the thing turned on! Fully charged and telling me I need a sim inserted. Lucky because I was about to insert something else into to it! Didn't lose a thing.

Hope this one helps someone out there.

Goffy29
Nov 9, 2009, 04:11 AM
Try a restore in DFU mode.

Thx !!! thx for the help!!! Now it's working again!!!! hehe

shauncampbell
Nov 9, 2009, 07:00 AM
The secret to avoiding all this is keeping it old-school. iPhone 2G is the way to go. 2 years running and never had a single issue!

stevie.T.
Dec 1, 2009, 09:29 AM
I'm glad I found this forum.
Guys, I have similar problem.
I connect my iphone (2nd generation) to comp, it says right away that it's connected to itunes. Itunes does not find the phone.
Then the phone start blinking, restarting, starting from the silver apple screen, turns off, then starts again, with that apple screen, then turns off again, and just cycles like that.
I have no clue what could be the cause. I've tried holding those 2 buttons, and played w/ them, no luck. Itunes is the latest version. Runnig WinXP SP2. Drivers are good.
check out the attached zip for info...

The exact same things happening to mine. Any solutions?

jloveya07
Dec 16, 2009, 06:11 AM

oh! my gosh you actually safe my life.. thankyou very much...:D:D:D:D

rebeccaclaire17
Dec 18, 2009, 11:28 AM

thank you so much it worked i love u cheers

Deepa611
Dec 30, 2009, 12:58 PM
"First open iTunes and Conect your iPhone cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while conecting the iPhone cord into your iPhone continue to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes. Good Luck!"

OMG THANK YOUUUU I was about to take my phone to apple thought it was a goner when the screen wouldn't go passed the silver apple.....but this worked!! :):)

guitarchordz
Jan 19, 2010, 02:40 PM

Huuuugggeeee Thanks to y ou TomWatson53!

I had the same problem and was so frustrated with it. Nothing was working!
I tried your steps and it worked like a charm!

I'm testing it today. Battery is charging up fine. It was at around 59% this afternoon and when I was using an app, it just crached. I've charged the phone to 100% again. Used the same app. Nothing happened this time. will post updates if I find somethign wierd!

unkoolneo
Jan 30, 2010, 03:41 PM
Just joined this site to thank all you for helping me get my iphone working again...

Holding down both buttons count to ten and back on....

Thank you....:):):):):):):):):)

Msfabtart
Jan 31, 2010, 03:25 PM
ok i had my iphone for a year now and no problems i jailbreak my phone when i ended my service and then about two weeks ago myson broke my cord so i went on ebay got a new one for $2 and now it will not come on call apple and they said let it charge for 20 min and still nothing now it is a week later and still not working i did everything on here and still not working i need help cause nothing working HELP!!!!!!!

Tekkietam
Feb 5, 2010, 10:02 PM
First of all, I want to apologize if this fix has already been posted. I wanted to post my experience, but I have not read every post in this thread.....

Second, thank you big time for all your help.

Woke up and iphone was plugged into the computer. The batter symbol had a thin red line, and under it, as the plug symbol with the lightning bolt symbol. I tried all the suggestions on the first page of the thread. Then I tried something similar to what one of the post said.

What I did:

1. Unplugged the phone from the computer.
2. Powered off using the home key and the power button.
3. Plugged the power cord into the wall socket (Not the usb on my computer.) I did not plug the power cord into my phone yet.
4. Held down the home key, and while holding the home key down, plugged the power cord into my phone.

Instantly, the power cord symbol disappeared, leaving only the lightning bolt symbol, which was now centered in the screen right under the battery. When I turned the phone on, it said I had low battery, and asked if I wanted to dismiss or not (the usual response for low battery). There were other post advising to hold down the power key while plugging the phone into my computer. For some reason this did not work for me. I don't know why it worked when I did the same procedure, just using the wall outlet as a power source. Geez, that was scary. It is the middle of the night here, and we are getting the biggest snow storm in years. I would not have been able to get to Richmond to go the the apple store for days. Thanks again to you all.

TheVidEditor
Feb 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
Does anyone realize that this thread was started three years ago?

Tekkietam
Feb 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
Does anyone realize that this thread was started three years ago?

Interesting observation. Funny though. I just got my iphone about a month ago. I googled and found this thread. It helped me. Three years old and still helping people solve this issue.

jason1988
Feb 7, 2010, 07:05 PM
im sorry if this has been posted already. not been threw them all
i had the exact same thing happen phone went dead and wont turn back on all i did is pluged it into the comp let it charge for a min holded the power and home key, got the bolt and bat sybal in the middle of my screen and just resarted the computer with the iphone pluged in still, and the phone turned on with the computer. it seemed to work for me

JeremiahBeck197
Feb 14, 2010, 01:30 PM

Thank you Tomwatson! Your suggestion was the only thing to get my iPhone working again this morning. Appreciate it.

sachapearce8
Feb 25, 2010, 06:43 PM

THANKYOU SOOO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE ABOUT THE HOME AND POWER BUTTON!!! I THOUGHT MY IPHONE WAS BROKE AND IVE ONLY HAD IT TWO MONTHS!!! I TRIED EVERYTHING, TAKING OUT CHARGER PUTTING IT BACK IN!! BUT THE BUTTON THING WORKED STRAIGHT AWAY!! JUST SOME ADVICE FO THE PERSON ASKING THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, U HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTONS IN FOR SOME TIME (LIKE 30 SECONDS) BEFORE IT RE SETS, THEN WHEN U LET GO IT SHOULD TURN ON! :):):):):):):):):)

ukuleledub
Feb 27, 2010, 01:39 AM

Thank you so much... you are a lifesaver!!!

AbdulSiddique
Feb 28, 2010, 12:03 PM
i have this iphone 3gs and i have put it on charge but all it shows is the red symbol and goes to the silver apple icon and its stuck there i have done most of these posts like hold down the home button and lock key but nothing, can someone please give any other suggestions?

BoilerDude
Mar 7, 2010, 09:52 AM
The first post with this problem is Nov 2007 - three years ago.
Why the heck is this problem still showing up? I just got a new 3Gs for Christmas and this morning had the same problem. Apparently the damn thing is charging now after messing around pushing combinations of buttons, etc. but why should this still be happening? If Apple's tech expertise is so outstanding, why are these phones still going belly up because of something bound to happen from time to time with any battery powered device - the battery running down. Or apparently, at other times as well judging from the comments in this thread. I am not happy that a device I've come to depend on so completely, may go dead at some inopportune time and in a place where I cannot go through the rituals and incantations necessary to resurrect it.
Come on Apple - get this fixed!

yippie
Mar 8, 2010, 10:47 AM
ok..now read my problem..plss!! if u don't understand what i'm typing about..pls tried to understand because my grammar is suck!!
ok my salesman told me that i can't turn off my phone and my mistake i didn't ask him why.maybe excited to get new phone..after few days ,because of tired have to be extra careful with it.i want my iphone to be normal. can shut down and turn on whenever i like..so i take advice frm afriend im reset the setting but then really!! i can't turned it on..its display an image usb connect to itunes..after connect it says "itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode.you must restore this iphone b4 it can be used"..

but the problem is it just restore half way then i have to restore it again for a 5 times and till now..it took a long process. but guys why the salesman told me earlier that i can't turn off my phone?..what is exactly my iphone problem is? am i only facing this problem?..my iphone still display the image of stupid usb connect to itunes :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::apple::apple::apple ::apple:

celkey
Mar 9, 2010, 09:49 PM

THANK YOU!! IT WORKED! ^_^

Hieu
Mar 9, 2010, 09:59 PM
This happened to me 3 times so far. Once last year and twice this year in one week. Ridiculous!

krisdc
Mar 11, 2010, 02:58 PM
I actually have been having this problem for a while. Eventually, for whatever reason, it always comes back on, but sometime it takes a day or two (so frustrating). My solution so far has been to avoid letting it power down. I got a replacement Iphone about a month ago and I am still experiencing the same problem.

I tried restarting my computer and holding the power and home button and every other fix on here with no luck. One person suggested on here about removing the sim card and that actually worked for me right away (thanks by the way).

My take on this problem is this. There is a software glitch that only some of us are experiencing and it seems to survive the updating process. The best reason I can think of as to why I have the same problem with two different phones is that I carried this problem over to the new one when I connected it to Itunes and synced to get my old apps. Removing the sim card removes the glitch.

I am guessing the only likely fix to the problem is to do a complete restore (which will erase all your apps and hopefully the glitch permanently) and getting the newest update. A friend of mine had to do this for a different problem, but with that was similarly persistent I am not a programmer, but this seems reasonable. I haven't done it yet, because I don't want to download and pay for all these apps again, but if I break down and do it ill let you know if it solves the problem completely.

PHANTOS
Mar 21, 2010, 06:02 AM
hey,

i ONLY JOINED to say THANK YOU to all of you for your posts.

this actually fixed my problem.

i held down the off/on key and the home key for about 10secs and the apple come on and the phone booted up and is working fine

with mine, i did not let it run low on battery. for some reason it just turned off...

i believe i will be back again with another problem in the future im sure but i just wanted you guys to know that it worked for me and i got my phone working again...

cheers

bennyallen0
Mar 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
so i was at work and battery on my new iphone 3GS completly drained, didntthink anything of it as the batteries are a disapointment anyways, i got home, put it on charge, 30 mins later went to my iphone and it was just "off", turned it on and it brings up the apple start up logo but 10-15 seconds later it switches itself off again! have tried to master reset(holding both buttons) but it just repeats bringing up the start up logo and then switches itself off again!

tried everything on this site that people have said but i also cannot se on this site anyone else who has the same problem as me? really stuck on this! had my iphone 5-6 weeks now so no reason for it to be doing this, really really need this phone up and running again,

look forward to any replies i may get regarding this problem, thanks, Ben

jdzitro
Apr 1, 2010, 05:29 PM
so i was at work and battery on my new iphone 3GS completly drained, didntthink anything of it as the batteries are a disapointment anyways, i got home, put it on charge, 30 mins later went to my iphone and it was just "off", turned it on and it brings up the apple start up logo but 10-15 seconds later it switches itself off again! have tried to master reset(holding both buttons) but it just repeats bringing up the start up logo and then switches itself off again!

tried everything on this site that people have said but i also cannot se on this site anyone else who has the same problem as me? really stuck on this! had my iphone 5-6 weeks now so no reason for it to be doing this, really really need this phone up and running again,

I have this same problem. I've had a 3G for a couple YEARS now and I am having this problem now.

Left my phone sitting (unplugged for the first time in a while overnight) on my nightstand for my alarm to go off in the morning. I suspect that I didn't hear it and the vibration slid the phone off tumbling to the ground. I woke up and found it on the floor turned off. I plugged it in and got the logo for about 15 sec then black screen.

Tried all the "solutions" on this thread with no help. My chargers are working. I even plugged into my FM transmitter in my car which still didn't give a charge.

Once I get some money, I'm getting rid of this ****ty phone and going Android.

jdzitro
Apr 1, 2010, 05:43 PM
Just read my paperwork (purchased at a Best Buy) and I bought it in June of only last year. Can I go to an Apple Store and get an exchange/repair for free/small fee?

ripcurl1915
Apr 3, 2010, 10:07 AM
Thank you so much. My phone had exact same problem, ran out of battery power and would not turn on, reset, connect to itunes etc. So I restarted my computer with phoneplugged in to it and it works and is charging!!!!! THANKS A BUNCH:):)

IpHONEpains
Apr 10, 2010, 01:01 PM
I joined also to say thanks, resetting my phone worked amazing, tho my phone died at 50% battery, and when I tried this trick not 30 minutes later, it said my battery was dead.

thanks

jcolorado
Apr 10, 2010, 11:45 PM

this TOTALLY worked - thank you SO much, saved me a trip to apple store and nights panic.... love the phone but hate it for this stuff!

jdzitro
Apr 13, 2010, 05:33 PM
so that night after pretty much giving up and waiting for the weekend when i could travel 120 miles to the closest mac store..

i left my phone plugged in to the wall. when i got up the next morning, i tried turning it on just for ***** and giggles and it came on! i guess it needed power for hours before i could turn it on again for some reason.

now im just waiting for the newest jailbreak and ill be all back to normal.

Mokkami
Apr 24, 2010, 01:36 AM
I actually have been having this problem for a while. Eventually, for whatever reason, it always comes back on, but sometime it takes a day or two (so frustrating). My solution so far has been to avoid letting it power down. I got a replacement Iphone about a month ago and I am still experiencing the same problem.

I tried restarting my computer and holding the power and home button and every other fix on here with no luck. One person suggested on here about removing the sim card and that actually worked for me right away (thanks by the way).

My take on this problem is this. There is a software glitch that only some of us are experiencing and it seems to survive the updating process. The best reason I can think of as to why I have the same problem with two different phones is that I carried this problem over to the new one when I connected it to Itunes and synced to get my old apps. Removing the sim card removes the glitch.

I am guessing the only likely fix to the problem is to do a complete restore (which will erase all your apps and hopefully the glitch permanently) and getting the newest update. A friend of mine had to do this for a different problem, but with that was similarly persistent I am not a programmer, but this seems reasonable. I haven't done it yet, because I don't want to download and pay for all these apps again, but if I break down and do it ill let you know if it solves the problem completely.

After spending over a day trying any iphone remedy I could find on Google, YouTube, Apple etc...including these thread tricks. I was still not ready to accept the inevitable of calling Apple, mailing my phone to an Apple Store (because there isn't one in my city) just to recieve a new one and start from scratch losing my 100+ contact numbers and iTunes etc...
I am quite sure a stores solution would be to replace the phone instead of fix mine so, allthough still very frustrating, I am going to continue these remedies throughout the weekend now knowing that you yourself have indeed experienced this problem over 1 day or 2.
I just tried the (removing the SIM card) routine as you did to no avail. Last night I tried leaving it plugged into an outlet all night. Now I will try charging Via USB on my laptop overnight.
To be honest I am still very much expecting just a blank black screen in the morning. But hope not.

DrkShadowSonic
May 5, 2010, 03:58 PM
I NEED MASSIVE HELP HERE!

So the other day I went to uninstall "Push Fix" by sinfull. After uninstalling in Rock it said it had to do a reboot. So it did.

Now it will not turn back on.
It will load to the apple screen then shut off!

I have tried everything. I tried to restore it, Pwnage tool will not even reconizge that it is connected. And I've tried to put it in DPU or whatever it's called to restore from iTunes and nothing!!

I've tried all the tricks on here and nothing works.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!?
I really don't want to have to get a new iphone when the iphone 4 is coming out in june

-aggie-
May 5, 2010, 04:11 PM
I NEED MASSIVE HELP HERE!

So the other day I went to uninstall "Push Fix" by sinfull. After uninstalling in Rock it said it had to do a reboot. So it did.

Now it will not turn back on.
It will load to the apple screen then shut off!

I have tried everything. I tried to restore it, Pwnage tool will not even reconizge that it is connected. And I've tried to put it in DPU or whatever it's called to restore from iTunes and nothing!!

I've tried all the tricks on here and nothing works.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!?
I really don't want to have to get a new iphone when the iphone 4 is coming out in june

Since you don't know what DFU mode is, I question whether you did it right. Look at my sig and try again.

DrkShadowSonic
May 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
Since you don't know what DFU mode is, I question whether you did it right. Look at my sig and try again.

Dude really? Just cuz I couldn't remember the exact name means I have no idea what it is? BS.

I've tried it multiple times and I tried it again before posting this! I'm telling you it doesn't work, hence my huge problem.

I've already got this posted on another site but they haven't bee able to figure out what is wrong with it. I was hoping the ppl here would be smarter and could, stead I get hassle.

EDIT: if it helps I have a 3G with 3.1.2 and 04.28 baseband using ultrasnow for service. I really do think the problem was uninstalling that app cuz that's when the problem started.

-aggie-
May 5, 2010, 04:27 PM
Dude really? Just cuz I couldn't remember the exact name means I have no idea what it is? BS.

I've tried it multiple times and I tried it again before posting this! I'm telling you it doesn't work, hence my huge problem.

I've already got this posted on another site but they haven't bee able to figure out what is wrong with it. I was hoping the ppl here would be smarter and could, stead I get hassle.

EDIT: if it helps I have a 3G with 3.1.2 and 04.28 baseband using ultrasnow for service. I really do think the problem was uninstalling that app cuz that's when the problem started.

I deal with people on here everyday who don't know what they're doing. I don't know you, you're new, so I'm going to assume you don't when you use expressions like that. Don't be so touchy. No one's giving you a hassle.

You HAVE to get the phone in DFU mode. Also, you should redsn0w to jailbreak and not use Rock EVER.

DrkShadowSonic
May 5, 2010, 07:23 PM
I deal with people on here everyday who don't know what they're doing. I don't know you, you're new, so I'm going to assume you don't when you use expressions like that. Don't be so touchy. No one's giving you a hassle.

You HAVE to get the phone in DFU mode. Also, you should redsn0w to jailbreak and not use Rock EVER.

Okay I can understand where you are coming from so I apologize for snapping at you. I'm just very frustrated cuz this phone is sadly my life.

Now what I am saying is it will not go into DFU mode. I open itunes. I connect my phone and I do that whole holding down thing. And nothing comes up. My phone just continues to go to the apple screen and shuts off.

As for using redsn0w, I have to use ultrasn0w for another carrier than ATT I was told redsn0w might mess that up. Is that true?
Thanks for the help

DrkShadowSonic
May 5, 2010, 08:01 PM
So not to double post but:

your not following the link I posted to get in to dfu mode are you thats to get out if you don't want to restore,

here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITIiGswjFI) how to get in, you need the iPhone plugged into your computer to do it.

if this doesn't work try just plugging the phone into your computer while holding the home button

try a different cable, different computer, if these don't work Soz

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That worked! Well DFU mode didn't work but I had to hold the home button before I plugged it in and it worked. Thank you!! Now let's see if I can get it up and working again.

I got it up and running again. It was holding the HOME button before plugging it in that made it work. Cuz I tried DFU mode like over one hundred times.

So now I just wanted to know will redsn0w mess up my unlock to use another carrier besides att? Thanks for the help!

-aggie-
May 5, 2010, 09:54 PM
So not to double post but:

I got it up and running again. It was holding the HOME button before plugging it in that made it work. Cuz I tried DFU mode like over one hundred times.

So now I just wanted to know will redsn0w mess up my unlock to use another carrier besides att? Thanks for the help!

I was more worried about getting you into DFU mode than your unlock. BTW, you used Recovery mode to get your phone up. It's the next suggested fix if you can't get DFU mode.

For your case, you need to use PwnageTool to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock.

See this thread by thelatinist:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=857521

DrkShadowSonic
May 5, 2010, 10:14 PM
I was more worried about getting you into DFU mode than your unlock. BTW, you used Recovery mode to get your phone up. It's the next suggested fix if you can't get DFU mode.

For your case, you need to use PwnageTool to jailbreak and ultrasn0w to unlock.

See this thread by thelatinist:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=857521

So I've now run into an intereting secario. iTunes says its in restore mode. But the screen is black and I was trying to do something called iRecovery so it will be taken out of DFU mode but it says my iphone isn't connected.

So pretty much I'm gonna have to restore it huh?

EDIT: I have 04.26.08 base but when I upgraded to 3.1.2 it went to 5.11.07 and I downgraded it to 4.26.08 to use ultrasn0w cuz otherwise it didn't work. So you suggest pwnage or redsn0w?

EDIT 2: So at this point I just want to restore it AND IT WON'T WORK!
I try to use Pwnage tool but everytime I get to the DFU mode part it says it fails. Tried several things like unplugging it and holding the home button while I plug it in like I did before to get it to work and still nothing.

I open iTunes to load the custom ispw I made and everytime I do it loads a bit and then says iTunes error 1600. Any suggestions? I just want to restore this damn thing!!

snow leopard
May 6, 2010, 10:13 PM

Hi, your method absolutely works! I've been trying to find a solution since last night and was just about to give up and trudge down to the telco service centre and be charged a hefty sum just to restore. Thanks to you, I'm able to restore it on my own.

-aggie-
May 6, 2010, 10:23 PM
So I've now run into an intereting secario. iTunes says its in restore mode. But the screen is black and I was trying to do something called iRecovery so it will be taken out of DFU mode but it says my iphone isn't connected.

So pretty much I'm gonna have to restore it huh?

EDIT: I have 04.26.08 base but when I upgraded to 3.1.2 it went to 5.11.07 and I downgraded it to 4.26.08 to use ultrasn0w cuz otherwise it didn't work. So you suggest pwnage or redsn0w?

EDIT 2: So at this point I just want to restore it AND IT WON'T WORK!
I try to use Pwnage tool but everytime I get to the DFU mode part it says it fails. Tried several things like unplugging it and holding the home button while I plug it in like I did before to get it to work and still nothing.

I open iTunes to load the custom ispw I made and everytime I do it loads a bit and then says iTunes error 1600. Any suggestions? I just want to restore this damn thing!!

How are you loading the .ipsw? By option-restore? Since you got the 1600 error, it may be because you're in DFU mode. Try recovery mode.

matt tee
May 7, 2010, 05:05 PM
I have exactly th same problem, cannot turn my phone on and it will not charge. I have tried everything suggested here (DFU, Plug into laptop, hold both home and power, etc...) but nothing works!

I have left it plugged in, I have tried different chargers, etc...

My phone is totally dead, it will turn on no more!

Has anyone got any other ideas? Please?

If not, then it looks like it's going back to apple.

aaarrrggghhh.....

shrekD
May 11, 2010, 02:47 PM
Well im having the same issue sort of you see my phone was working just fine one day and i had to reboot my device and well when it was at the apple logo it just stays there and it wont turn on past that i've tried putting it into recovery mode it doesnt work i've also tried putting it into dfu mode and still no dice i havent connected it to my PC yet to see if itunes will pick it up but im certain it won't due to the issue at hand and i dont think i should take it to apple because my iphone is jailbroken and whatnotl...anyone care to share some thoughts oh and also i have the first gen iphone the one before the 3G and 3Gs

How did you solve the problem. I am encountering the same problem

-aggie-
May 11, 2010, 02:50 PM
How did you solve the problem. I am encountering the same problem

Well, if you're doing what he did, you're doing DFU mode wrong, since he didn't even have it connected to iTunes. See my sig for how to do DFU mode.

snow leopard
May 11, 2010, 11:09 PM
I have exactly th same problem, cannot turn my phone on and it will not charge. I have tried everything suggested here (DFU, Plug into laptop, hold both home and power, etc...) but nothing works!

I have left it plugged in, I have tried different chargers, etc...

My phone is totally dead, it will turn on no more!

Has anyone got any other ideas? Please?

If not, then it looks like it's going back to apple.

aaarrrggghhh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwatson53 View Post

Ridha
May 12, 2010, 03:02 AM
Greeting to everybody here, I am new in the forum and it is my first post.

I have had the same problem with my daughter's Iphone 3 GS since 17 April. I tried out all the tips here except DFU but did not manage to get it work,

Yesterday we tried to put it in DFU mode and GREAT it worked and the Iphone was restored and updated,

So thank you, you are really great people. I'm lovin' you!!!!!

xxxaitchxxx
May 18, 2010, 04:56 AM
I had just checked the time on my iPhone and noted the battery was just under half charged. When I went back to it minutes later, it was dead. No amount of pressing buttons or charging either from the wall charger or PC charger did anything...it was completely dead, no battery sign, no Apple sign, not a single thing; I honestly thought it was broken! This went on for over an hour while I mulled over what could have happened to it, and what I was going to do about it. I found these wonderful forums and this is what worked for my phone:

Held down on/off simultaneously with the home button for a few seconds (whilst plugged into PC) - nothing appeared to happen, but just seconds after giving up, the PC rang its hardware detection bell - iTunes loaded - and the phone came alive!!! BIG sigh.

nicoleamanda17
Jun 4, 2010, 04:54 PM
so about two weeks ago i was in church and i was using my iphone and everything was working perfectly. but when i got done with church, i took my phone out and the screen was black, and no matter what i did.. it wouldnt turn back on. so i figured it was dead. so when i got home, i put it on the charger thinking maybe it was dead.. a couple hours later i went and checked on it and it still wouldnt do anything. so i just waited until i could take it in.. but yesterday my step dad told me that if i let it charge for a while and then hold down the home button and the power button for 30 seconds it should reboot. so i tried that and it worked, but it said i had to connect to itunes. but everytime i try unplugging it from the wall to put it into the computer it turns black again and wont do anything... i need help... im thinking i need a new battery, but i dont understand why because i just bought it at christmas time. :confused:

mojoboybk
Jun 6, 2010, 10:57 PM
try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BfqUm0xBLI

worked for me

tdubb
Jun 23, 2010, 12:24 AM
I too had this same problem but what i did was switch the cord i use to charge my iphone with a similar one and my phone started working again. Hope this helps

mattgrayson
Jun 25, 2010, 03:07 AM
Hiya, this is my first post, I found you guys on Google and you seem pretty switched on.
I had problems with my facebook app, it would log me out after posting comments and I couldn't update my status from it. After deleting it, the phone went really slow then wouldn't come out of hibernation at all.
I held down the wake/sleep button and it switched off. I tried all the previous options in this thread and I've got it to the restore stage but I assume it's a system restore type tool and it will delete all my pictures, 200 of which are of my newborn son when he was in hospital and I'd really like to keep them.
In summary, When I power the phone on, I get the silver apple logo for 30 seconds and it switches itself off. This happens regardless of being connected to a charger or the sequence of buttons I hold down.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

iMike09
Jun 28, 2010, 08:21 AM
So I have the original iphone ( 1G ) its been a great phone for the time that i've had it...so I was out on my boat this past weekend. The phone was in the center consol of the boat, it was in the boats GPS case where i would always stay dry. The seas were a little bumpy...The phone was half charged as i went out. I went on my facebook app when the boat stopped. I logged out of my facebook and the phone died. I didnt have my charger available to me so i just left it. When i got home i put it on the charger right away. The start up apple logo shows up ( the silver apple ). after a few seconds the logo goes away and the phone turns off....Ive tried the hard restart a few times and no effect. Ive tried putting it on the dock and plugging into my computer and no effect. all that happens is the apple logo shows up and the phone shuts off... I NEED HELP. some please help me :)

will be getting the iphone 4 soon hopefully. but until then i need some assistance :)

snow leopard
Jun 29, 2010, 03:51 AM
So I have the original iphone ( 1G ) its been a great phone for the time that i've had it...so I was out on my boat this past weekend. The phone was in the center consol of the boat, it was in the boats GPS case where i would always stay dry. The seas were a little bumpy...The phone was half charged as i went out. I went on my facebook app when the boat stopped. I logged out of my facebook and the phone died. I didnt have my charger available to me so i just left it. When i got home i put it on the charger right away. The start up apple logo shows up ( the silver apple ). after a few seconds the logo goes away and the phone turns off....Ive tried the hard restart a few times and no effect. Ive tried putting it on the dock and plugging into my computer and no effect. all that happens is the apple logo shows up and the phone shuts off... I NEED HELP. some please help me :)

will be getting the iphone 4 soon hopefully. but until then i need some assistance :)

snow leopard is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

LexiTow
Jun 29, 2010, 09:08 PM
I think I know what I have to do but here's my problem:

My power button stopped working a few months back on my 3G. I was waiting for iphone 4 to come out, thank god it just did. My problem is like others, my phone died, and i put it on the charger and i just have a black screen. Its not like I can hit power/home either.

I imagine my only solution is apple/At&T store. But I'm free for any other help/suggestions.

pedroslima
Jul 11, 2010, 08:44 PM
Howdy!
Guys this is the best forum on iphone bugs regarding this black screen issue. It is so good that I actually registered to post my problem.

I have a JB iphone at 3.1.2 and one day connected my iphone on a wall power using a ipod charger. Immediatelly my iphone displayed that usual message showing the charger was not compatible with an iphone blablabla. Next thing I see (after a few hours), black screen. I`m not sure if the charger is even relevant since my phone was only at 13% remaining juice.
Thinking that it just died beause it had no battery, I plugged in the office computer as usual and found it interesting that after the usual first minutes the red lightening charging sign didn`t show up.

When I got home I tried my iphone wall charger (original from apple) and still nothing. Plugged in my retractable generic usb on the back pannel of my desktop and nothing.

That was when I started pannic. :eek:

First thing I thought, normal long home pressing should quit any frozen app. Nothing
Second: a normal rest. Nothing
Third: I tried the home + lock 10 sec reset. Nothing
Fourth: Old school DFU mode by using both buttons then releasing power, etc, etc. Nothing.
Fifth: With Itunes opened, connected the iphone while pressing home. Nothing

As of right now I have a bricked phone as if the battery was completelly depleted and none of the methods here seemed to work. I even tried the computer restart method with the phone connected and nothing.

Since the phone is JB, I dont really want to ask :apple: to help me. Does anyone know how to fix this??
Sorry for the long post...

tlrmrn13
Jul 31, 2010, 12:22 AM
I figured out that charging the iPhone with an iPad cord instead of a iPhone/iPod cord fixes it! This works because the ipad requires more power to charge, and if your iPhone is having this problem, than it means it thinks it's dead because your iPhone cord charges it at lower voltage than it's supposed to. So basically, your cord is broke...so buy an iPad cord to fix your problem FOREVER!!! Hope this helps :)))

pedroslima
Aug 3, 2010, 09:07 PM
humm my friend has one... I will give it a try...:D

pedroslima
Aug 15, 2010, 06:14 PM
No luck guys... maybe you just got lucky as the charger specs are the same as I believe. At least the voltage is the same and he was using the same charger that came with the IPAD to charge his Iphone...
It was worth a try...

Anyone else got it to work?

digioz
Sep 16, 2010, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the tip Kamera. I had that exact problem a few minutes ago, and holding down the 2 buttons at the same time solved the issue.

Pete

claudine9452
Oct 11, 2010, 04:44 AM

Kamera You saved me with this post. i'm out of town and my phone wouldn't turn on. I thought i was going to have to get a new phone
apple claimed there was nothing they could do for me. I came here saw your post it took two tries but it worked.

Thank You

p.laver
Oct 12, 2010, 06:38 AM
This morning I pulled my Iphone 4 from it's holster in car, screen came on as normal, then went off as normal, pressed the home key nothing. Pressed the on/off and home key together for about a 30 secs the phone started back up.

This can't be right.

Iphone 4 with 4.1 firmware 6 days old.

grimy
Oct 13, 2010, 11:17 PM

This is how it happened:

Cheers

This just happened to my wifes 2 year old(ios4) JB phone.
-Tried original iphone charger charge. Nothing.
-Tried Hard reset, flashed to a white screen then back to the charger screen. Nothing.
-Tried THIS! And it didn't work....at first. I switched the USB cord so it was directly off the PC(it was through a USB extension on keyboard). I then did a HARD reset on the computer and at first...nothing. Once I logged in though and was in the process of opening itunes..it worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am glad I did not have to try and put the phone into recovery mode.

I know this is an old thread but this problem is still happening to random people out there so good to have archived macrumors!

baris99
Oct 15, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hello, this is a best forum black screen problem. i live in istanbul and apple don't care about all problems in my area.

let's my problem.

1 months ago, my friend bought iphone 4 on apple store from london. and he gaves me to birthday gift. i live in turkey,istanbul. when i want to open my iphone 4, it doesn't open. i plug to wall for charge, iphone 4 opened and waiting to itunes screen. (emergency call screen) after that i plugged with usb to my computer. when iphone 4 opening, apple logo seems, after apple logo iphone 4 was closed. after closed, 10 seconds later, apple logo seems again, this is cycling. and iphone 4 don't open. How can i open Iphone 4? when i press power and home button, after 10 seconds release power button, itunes detected my iphone for recovery. but when i starting recover process, i get 1611 error on itunes. i think my problem don't relevant system problem

JamminJcruz
Oct 29, 2010, 06:30 AM
HOW TO FIX: ďMy iPhone DIED and WONíT TURN ONĒ

My iPhone 3Gs died and is Stuck on the Dead Battery Screen. No matter how long I put it on the charger for It Would Not Turn On. Iíve used these steps to turn back on in more then one occasion. I donít know if this works for every device, but it has worked for me several times.

Tip: ( READ this entire posting before beginning the process)

1. Put on Charger for about 30 Mins (to get initial Charge from 1% to 5%) ŖStandard iPhone Turn on from Dead Battery Seqence

2. Unplug then (press & hold) HOME & POWER buttons until iPhone tuns off

3. Wait for 30 seconds

4. Plug into Reliable Charging Source (i.e. Computer)

5. (press & hold) HOME & POWER buttons for 30+ seconds Allowing iPhone to turn ON & OFF 3-5 times until iPhone in ON position longer then the first 1-3 (ON & OFF) sequences. See next for further explanation on thisÖ

The first 1-3 ON & OFF cycles show be approximately 5 second intervals.
(5 seconds ON / 5 seconds OFF / 5 seconds ON / 5 seconds OFF / etcÖ)

Then it will stay OFF for longer then the first 1-3 times (10+ seconds)

Remain holding until it turns back ON
(note: The iPhone will Still be on the Need to Charge Screen.) (empty red Battery)

6. Release (home & power) Buttons & DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING for 20+ seconds

7. Press only HOME button & then Apple Logo should Appear.

8. Once Apple Logo is on the screen DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING

9. Wait until iPhone turns on, it may take up to 5 Mins

10. Now iPhone will be on & will Charge

IMPORTANT: if this DOES NOT WORK for you it might be that you will have to REMAIN HOLDING until iPhone turns OFF after it was in the ON position for the extended time (see Example)

Example: (5 seconds ON / 5 seconds OFF / 5 seconds ON / 5 seconds OFF / 5 seconds ON / 10+ seconds OFF / ON / OFF )

After the last OFF proceed to Step 6.

Iíve had this Defect on my iPhone 3Gs for awhile now & Iíve used this process every time my phone dies before I get a chance to put it on a charger. As far as I know there is No fix for this problem & I donít think Apple uses this Technique to turn the iPhone back on. So if you want a new phone & are experiencing this problem, just let your phone die again. Then you should be able to take it into the Apple Store for diagnostics and when they cant turn it on you should be approved for a new phone.

This Process is for those who have a Jailbroken device and donít want to take it into the Apple Store for fear, that if for some reason it does turn on, that it will VOID their WARRANTY

.Iím not sure if this is the exact process I have used seeing Iím normally pissed off to no end during it (lol) But this is the best that I can remember so if it works for anyone please let me know by responding on this Forum OR contacting me @ E-Mail: Jcruz707@hotmail.com

Hope This Helps
Sincerely,
JamminJcruz

ChristyatUF
Nov 12, 2010, 02:41 PM
I just had the same problem, and fixed it!

Unfortunately, my wake/sleep button doesn't work so I couldn't do the thing where you hold that down with the home button to reset it.

I tried everything and nothing worked, except when I put the iPhone on one of those docks to listen to music, the silver apple appeared! I'm so glad I don't have to go the Apple store.

asianhunkguy
Nov 24, 2010, 01:57 AM

THIS IS AWESOME MAN! I was about to return the phone to where I bought it. As a first time iphone user, and we all know that battery is not removable, we don't know what to do if this thing happens. THANKS A LOT DUDE!!

mingus51
Dec 2, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Guys,

My wife has a 3G and I just got her the iPhone 4 as a gift. She has not backed up her iPhone for at least 3 months now and she doesn't sync her photos with iPhoto.

Unfortunately, we now have a situation [WITH THE 3G] where I'm getting the logo screen of death. I turn it on, it shows the silver logo, and about 1 minute later, shuts off.
I can get it to enter recovery mode but I don't wish to go through the process because she'll lose all of the photos she's taken.

Is there any way around this. If I could get the Mac to see the iphone as a disk I could at least get her images back. Any other hardware button combinations to keep from having to enter recovery mode?

Thanks

rcag9109
Dec 8, 2010, 09:58 PM
Im having the same problem as pedro slim

"Howdy!
Guys this is the best forum on iphone bugs regarding this black screen issue. It is so good that I actually registered to post my problem.

I have a JB iphone at 3.1.2 and one day connected my iphone on a wall power using a ipod charger. Immediatelly my iphone displayed that usual message showing the charger was not compatible with an iphone blablabla. Next thing I see (after a few hours), black screen. I`m not sure if the charger is even relevant since my phone was only at 13% remaining juice.
Thinking that it just died beause it had no battery, I plugged in the office computer as usual and found it interesting that after the usual first minutes the red lightening charging sign didn`t show up.

When I got home I tried my iphone wall charger (original from apple) and still nothing. Plugged in my retractable generic usb on the back pannel of my desktop and nothing.

That was when I started pannic.

First thing I thought, normal long home pressing should quit any frozen app. Nothing
Fourth: Old school DFU mode by using both buttons then releasing power, etc, etc. Nothing.

As of right now I have a bricked phone as if the battery was completelly depleted and none of the methods here seemed to work. I even tried the computer restart method with the phone connected and nothing."

b0nkst4
Dec 12, 2010, 07:57 PM

Thanks so much man, it worked perfectly, i owe you. perfect solution
thanks

therightgirl
Dec 23, 2010, 07:39 PM
This website helped me so much!
my iphone is cracked, but still works until today when it completely shut off!
I was so scared! but i plugged it into my computer and it worked again!!!!
THANK YOU.
I FEEL LIKE YOU SAVED MY LIFE.

Abaig
Dec 26, 2010, 06:59 PM
I erased all content and setting on my jailbroken Iphone 4 on 4.0 firmware and now it's stuck on the apple logo. I tried holding the sleep and home button thing and all it does is turn it off and then when I turn it on, it goes back to the apple logo. Can someone help?

jaredririe20
Dec 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
I plugged my iPhone 3GS into a car charger and it displayed the yellow triangle error telling me the phone was too hot. It then turned off and it no longer turns on. I have tried restarting it (home+sleep/wake), putting it into DFU mode and Recovery Mode. Nothing works. It is still black.

vicorizo
Jan 2, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hey all.
It seems like everyone is whining about there problems here and so shall I hehe...
I've Jailbroken my iPhone and after that it just won't turn on. it just shows that damn apple and some loading thing beyond that. iTunes won't recognize it and it doesn't make any sence when I put it to charge.

I would really like that some smartass could answer me and the rest of these folks.

Regards me...

vicorizo
Jan 2, 2011, 05:33 PM

Hey there. I get so mad because everyone seems to get their toy working by your post but I don't! Could you give me some tips or something please? What did you do additionall maybe? I did exactly what you described but but the damn phone won't turn on. Ey btw my iPhone is Jailbroken, iPhone 3gs 16bg.

mikeysc
Jan 5, 2011, 08:19 AM
OK, so my phone was only halfway charged, it died, and i cant get it to turn back on... My charger doesn't seem to be giving it a charge as well. Should i go to AT&T and try a different charger? I have no clue what to do. Please help me.

Does it charge?:confused::confused::confused:

Saachin
Jan 7, 2011, 01:53 AM
Totally worked for me.
Thanks sm86.
I registered here today, to thank you for sharing your expereince.
It worked for me, albeit I dun have a dock, just a usb wire connected to my laptop. (not imac)

I was considering reset, but am glad I did not go down that path.

:-)

This is how it happened:

Cheers

KayKayCruz
Jan 7, 2011, 12:57 PM

Oh my gosh. who was this is my hero. you just saved my life. i though my phone was broken. ive only had it two weeks. thank you so much. it works now.(: :D

now my mom wont yell at me. haha.(:

coycoy
Jan 7, 2011, 05:40 PM
i restored my iphone2g because it hangs up. when i try to restored it i lost the "share contacts" button on my contacts screen, the only thing you can see there is "text message" and "add to favorites" buttons. im wondering what might happened during the restore process i made.

i hope someone can help me with this problem.:(

ValPul
Jan 16, 2011, 02:36 PM
So I went snowboarding and had my iphone 4 in my jacket pocket. When driving back home I realized that my phone just has a blank screen and no matter what I do it just doesn't turn on and doesn't charge. So what I did is:

1)Got my USB cord
2)Plugged it to the phone but not into the computer
3)Pressed home button simultaneously with the power button and waited for the grey apple logo to pop up
4)When the apple logo came up I immediately release the home button and the power button
5)After that I just waited and my phone came back to normal

Hopefully this helps you guys!

IngaS
Feb 13, 2011, 09:18 AM
My iphone has the fully charged symbol when I plug it in my computer, but after I disconnect it, it just dies! It doesn't respond when I try to reset it. When I plug it in again, the apple symbole just stays there for a long time and never turns on... It's crazy. What can I do?:confused:

newg1987
Feb 13, 2011, 01:38 PM

Same problem like you

iPhone 3GS OS 4.0.2
Unlocked

and having similar problem. Charging Process Never Goes Beyond silver apple logo and let me turn on my device.

Iphone is like needed more than air. Please somebody gotta help me

Tried everything from the first page but still no hope

mikelegacy
Feb 13, 2011, 01:51 PM
My iphone has the fully charged symbol when I plug it in my computer, but after I disconnect it, it just dies! It doesn't respond when I try to reset it. When I plug it in again, the apple symbole just stays there for a long time and never turns on... It's crazy. What can I do?:confused:
Is your phone jailbroken?

mikelegacy
Feb 13, 2011, 01:51 PM
Same problem like you

iPhone 4.0.2
Unlocked

and having similar problem. Charging Process Never Goes Beyond and let me turn on my device.

Iphone is like needed more than air. Please somebody gotta help me
Are you on the iPad baseband?

newg1987
Feb 13, 2011, 10:04 PM
Are you on the iPad baseband?

How could I know that? Please tell me how to know the baseband?

newg1987
Feb 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
iPhone 3GS battery doesn't get charged once it went completely low and turned off. There low battery symbol appeared on screen and when it seems to be charging white apple logo comes up and nothing happen again. After apple logo it again plunged into low battery symbol. And this cycle is continue since three days.

I tried to charge many hours, over night, more than 14 hours but nothing worked. I also tried to jailbreak it again so that I won't loss my data but it didn't work as well. In jailbreaking process when it gets restart it stops again on apple logo.

newg1987
Feb 13, 2011, 10:18 PM
Howdy!

That was when I started pannic. :eek:

As of right now I have a bricked phone as if the battery was completelly depleted and none of the methods here seemed to work. I even tried the computer restart method with the phone connected and nothing.

Since the phone is JB, I dont really want to ask :apple: to help me. Does anyone know how to fix this??
Sorry for the long post...

you know so many people experiencing same thing apple must have to do something

newg1987
Feb 13, 2011, 10:41 PM
HOW TO FIX: ďMy iPhone DIED and WONíT TURN ONĒ

My iPhone 3Gs died and is Stuck on the Dead Battery Screen. No matter how long I put it on the charger for It Would Not Turn On. Iíve used these steps to turn back on in more then one occasion. I donít know if this works for every device, but it has worked for me several times.

Tip: ( READ this entire posting before beginning the process)

1. Put on Charger for about 30 Mins (to get initial Charge from 1% to 5%) ŖStandard iPhone Turn on from Dead Battery Seqence

2. Unplug then (press & hold) HOME & POWER buttons until iPhone tuns off

3. Wait for 30 seconds

4. Plug into Reliable Charging Source (i.e. Computer)

5. (press & hold) HOME & POWER buttons for 30+ seconds Allowing iPhone to turn ON & OFF 3-5 times until iPhone in ON position longer then the first 1-3 (ON & OFF) sequences. See next for further explanation on thisÖ

The first 1-3 ON & OFF cycles show be approximately 5 second intervals.
(5 seconds ON / 5 seconds OFF / 5 seconds ON / 5 seconds OFF / etcÖ)

Then it will stay OFF for longer then the first 1-3 times (10+ seconds)

Remain holding until it turns back ON
(note: The iPhone will Still be on the Need to Charge Screen.) (empty red Battery)

6. Release (home & power) Buttons & DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING for 20+ seconds

7. Press only HOME button & then Apple Logo should Appear.

8. Once Apple Logo is on the screen DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING

9. Wait until iPhone turns on, it may take up to 5 Mins

10. Now iPhone will be on & will Charge

IMPORTANT: if this DOES NOT WORK for you it might be that you will have to REMAIN HOLDING until iPhone turns OFF after it was in the ON position for the extended time (see Example)

Example: (5 seconds ON / 5 seconds OFF / 5 seconds ON / 5 seconds OFF / 5 seconds ON / 10+ seconds OFF / ON / OFF )

After the last OFF proceed to Step 6.

Iíve had this Defect on my iPhone 3Gs for awhile now & Iíve used this process every time my phone dies before I get a chance to put it on a charger. As far as I know there is No fix for this problem & I donít think Apple uses this Technique to turn the iPhone back on. So if you want a new phone & are experiencing this problem, just let your phone die again. Then you should be able to take it into the Apple Store for diagnostics and when they cant turn it on you should be approved for a new phone.

This Process is for those who have a Jailbroken device and donít want to take it into the Apple Store for fear, that if for some reason it does turn on, that it will VOID their WARRANTY

.Iím not sure if this is the exact process I have used seeing Iím normally pissed off to no end during it (lol) But this is the best that I can remember so if it works for anyone please let me know by responding on this Forum OR contacting me @ E-Mail: Jcruz707@hotmail.com

Hope This Helps
Sincerely,
JamminJcruz

Thanks Jammin for something new

I hope this will work

motorwiz
Feb 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
My i-phone would not turn on even though fully charged. Completely dead! I held down the home and power buttons for a few seconds as recommended but still completely dead (with and without charger connected).

So, I tried the following. Without charger connected, hold down home/power for a few seconds. Whilst still holding down buttons, connect charger et voila! The apple logo appeared and phone booted up as usual. Phew!

I hope this helps someone, Mike
www.motorwise.com

jhwklawstudent
Feb 16, 2011, 02:40 PM
I had to hold down both for almost 10 seconds and then it came out. Maybe try plugging it in and then holding down both.

I was listening to Pandora with about 75% of my battery left. Five minutes into listening, Pandora stopped, I looked down, and my phone was DEAD. I couldn't get it to reset, couldn't get it to charge, my computer wouldn't recognize it, and I basically thought I was screwed and needed a new phone.

I did all of the steps that everyone posted on here. This last one did it. I had iTunes up. Plugged the cord into my computer. Held down both the home button and the sleep/wake button at the same time AS I plugged my phone into the computer. It worked! The little silver apple come on the screen and it is charging/syncing to my computer as we speak. It still says that I have 75% battery life left so I find it odd that it died randomly like that...

Apple IPhone3GS
Feb 26, 2011, 05:40 PM

I was going to a party and all day my phone was vibrating i had facebook notifacations. But it was not vibrating. I cheked my phone and was off. I tried turning iit on. It didnt. I paniced and went home immediatley. I plugged it into my ihome. Nothing. I plugged it into my wall charger. Nothing. I plugged it into my acer. Nothing. I frantically googled "My iphone wont turn on" Clicked here. Laughed while trying and it worked! Thank you!

urmymom
Mar 3, 2011, 11:50 AM
okay i tried the first one and i got nothing but the apple screen..... i was really mad and started pushing the home screen about 10 times and guess what it came on.... whoo hooo. then it said that i had to restore my ipod, thought i was going to loose everything but nope.... its all there.. thank you.....

wollysf
Mar 13, 2011, 05:40 PM
Many good tips here, but none seem to work for me. My iPhone died shortly after a call, when I still had about 50% battery left. Had it plugged into a Belkin car charger Tunebase which had been working fine. Now I never get any response on the phone when plugging it into charger, into laptop, doing DFU, all home+power button holds listed here, have charged it for several hours on several different chargers and cords, all to no avail. It is about 15 months old and I bought it in the US via ATT where I used it about half the time,but now live in Italy, so no Apple store to take it in to here. Any more ideas?

Should I let the battery drain for several days to see if that provides some other type of reset? any chance Apple will replace it even though it is out of warranty and unlocked?

Thanks, Steve

FireKitty
Mar 20, 2011, 02:41 AM
I have a first generation iPhone and just today, while I was on my Facebook app, the screen froze. I kept hitting the home button, but the screen was stuck on FB. I decided to reset it, but once I did that, it would not turn back on. The battery was not dead since it had about 40% battery life left, but I decided to still plug it into the outlet and charge it for a while. I few hours later, it still would not turn back on. I would hold the the power button for about 15 seconds until I would see the silver apple logo. The apple logo would stay on the screen for about 2 minutes before it would go away, but this is as far as would go. I tried plugging it into my computer, but iTunes could not find it.

I tried many of the tips on here, but none of them worked. I got so upset and frantic, I decided to try one last idea that I had. I figured my phone was shot, so it didn't make a difference what I did to it at this point. And since my phone is so old, exchanging it for a new one is out of the question.

Here is my trick that for some reason worked......

1) I first turned on my computer and opened iTunes
2) I plugged my iPhone into the computer
3) I hit the home and power button until the apple logo appeared
4) I waited 2 seconds and hit the home and power button again until the apple logo went away
5) I waited 2 seconds and hit the home and power button yet again until the apple logo appeared once more
6) I repeated this process many times until my iTunes on my computer recognized the device. I'm not sure how many times I had repeated this since I was not keeping track because like I said, I was becoming a little frantic and upset :D
7) Once the iTunes was able to find the device, I hit restore and my phone is now back in use.

I hope I was able to help someone. Good luck to all who need it!!!;)

jcpotier
Mar 28, 2011, 03:47 PM

thanks!! worked for me! but why?

kicko
Mar 28, 2011, 04:03 PM
thanks!! worked for me! but why?

Why this happens i'd like to know too. My 3G never did this but now last week my wife's 4 did the same thing, pick it up no worky! and now mine did it today. I checked my email when i woke up and then i decided to use pandora in the car and again no worky.

The sleep/home button hold did the trick in both cases.

pedroslima
Mar 29, 2011, 05:59 PM
So... after how many months I`m back here just to let everyone know the solution I had.
After trying out EVERY SINGLE procedure listed in this forum and having no response I shipped the phone from Brazil to the USA and my parents took it to the apple store. The guy there after testing said: "Yeah... it's really dead and we have no idea why".

This happened exactly 1 year and 4 days after the purchase so theoretically this was my problem now. The guy took pitty on me and replaced the phone for a refurbished unit!!!!

I know it is not quite a solution, but I just wanted to let some of you know that sometimes the problem really cannot be fixed.

In the end I became an Apple fan. Now I have 2 Iphone 4s, the old 3gs, one macbook pro 13" and the new macbook pro 15". I guess everyone won!:D

moma3081
Apr 4, 2011, 04:09 PM
Wow glad I found this forum. I am having major problems with my iphone 3g. First off my phone is stuck in recovery I went to fix it and the battery died. I can't get it to charge for nothing and I tried holding down the power button and home button trick and it just wont work. So I went out and bought a new charger and on the way home I plug it into my car on my way home. It charged for five minutes and then I took it out of the car to bring it in to charge in the house. It lasted until I got in the house and then just died. I plugged it in the wall and it lasted a couple minutes and turned off and wouldn't charge. I tried connecting it to my computer and it wont do anything. Black screen. So I brought it back out to my car and ok now its charge well at least I think it is. It went on immediately and went back to the itunes recovery mode screen.
It wont turn off by the way and I can't see the battery icon so I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mac-converted
Apr 8, 2011, 11:01 AM
Bravo to the person who schooled on connecting iphone cord to mac, opening itunes... and big up's to the person who told me to hold both keys and then connect- and can't forget the person who said let it charge for 5 minutes first. Used those tactics -- phone is now back up and charging!

THANK YOU!

I agree as well. The secret is holding both keys when connecting, not just the home button. My phone works once again.

DarrenM84
Apr 16, 2011, 05:30 AM
I agree as well. The secret is holding both keys when connecting, not just the home button. My phone works once again.

Ditto, it certainly does work. :D

iTechReviewer
Apr 16, 2011, 09:14 PM
Try plugging it to :apple: iTunes and if it shows up on iTunes restore it then try turning it on.
YouriTechReviewer

iTechReviewer
Apr 16, 2011, 09:18 PM
also if you are under warranty take it to the Apple store (if you are jailbroken restore it on iTunes)
YouriTechreviewer

TeamNiBiC
May 11, 2011, 03:53 AM
Okay, try this:
Hold Power button 10 seconds
After that, don't release power button, and hold home button 10 seconds
After that, release ONLY power button, hold home for 10 seconds..

If that don't work
Try:
Hold both home and power button for 10-60 seconds..
Try 5 times, and your device should work!.. I just fixed it by that :)

-------------
I :apple: Apple

Bo-Kim:D
May 15, 2011, 06:12 PM
Oh my god this really worked thank you so much!!! Nothing really happened to my phone, I just found it dead, plugged it in, and it didnt turn on, and it showed the image that you described, so I did what you said worked, and sure enough it did! Thank you very much!

This is how it happened:

Cheers

joolu
Jun 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
I bought a broken iphone 3gs. The glass is broken, aswell as the lock key. so when i was looking at it i plugged it into a wall plugin, it booted up past the apple logo and told me that i had to plug it into itunes. i later on took it to my laptop so i can restore it, but it didnt even get the boot up or nothing it was just black! oh yea and when i take it off of the charger it just instantly turns off. what do you think i can do? i would love a soon reply because i am just fusterated... lol

christian829
Jun 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
My iPhone recently got water damage at the pool. I did all the thing you are supposed to do to revive it and now iTunes will let me restore it. I restored it and when I unplugged it from my laptop it shows a frozen screen of the connect to iTunes button and an alert saying I need to insert a SIM card. I have tried every possible way to get it unfrozen and now it shows a very dim screen, and when I plug it into iTunes it just says to insert a SIM. What should I do!?!?:eek:

cvhssk
Jun 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'm quite not sure what happened to my iPhone but I need help fixing it. Last night I was texting then my phone froze, I didn't have the patience to deal with it so I just turned it off. When I tried turnng it back on, it won't go past the Apple logo screen. Even though the battery was half way, I firgured it died, nope. I tried turning it on this morning, nothing. Same with the apple logo. I tried charging it, same results. I even tried resetting the iPhone, I got the same results of the apple logo and then it shutting off.
Ugh Help! D:

gliders1
Aug 9, 2011, 06:01 AM

I tried this and it worked! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

bellatraicion6
Aug 9, 2011, 09:18 AM

"hahaha I thought that it wasn't gona work but it DID!!! I just created an account to THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

:D

alizette125
Aug 18, 2011, 01:48 PM

My Iphone would not turn on and i found this blog through google. Everyone kept saying " simultaneously hold down the home and power button" ( which i did several times) but it was not until i read this post about doing it for atleast 10 seconds that it actually turned back on!!! i counted patiently and on 10 BINGO, the apple popped up!! thank u, thank u thank u for posting!!

P.S oh and Administrator.... the account registration process for this blog is way toooooooo long!! Geeez but thanks for creating it!! ;0)

Beckylulu
Aug 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
This happened to me just now. I was sitting in my living room watching tv at like 4am. About an hour into the movie I get up to go back to bed. I turn the light off and started using my iPhone 3GS as a light since I'm quite afraid of the dark. I go to the restroom and turned off the light hitting the power button of my phone. I set my phone on the counter and do my business. A little less than a minute later I grab my phone to doodle around with it. It was off. I had checked it in the living room before I had gotten up and it was on around 37%. I press the power button and nothing. I sorta start freaking out. This isn't my phone, it's borrowed. Once I get a phone of my own I'm giving this one back. I go in my room and plug it into the charger. Nothing. I even plug it into a different wall. Nothing. I go get my mom's iPhone to see if anything was wrong with hers. Nope. I switch sims and my worked on hers but my phone was still shut off. I call Apple and was just planning to go and see of they can fix it. I put the sims back and just leave my phone on the charger. I would of done the whole computer thing but I don't have a computer. Just a wii with Internet. Well I go and take around an hour shower and came back to the phone hoping it would be fix. Nope. So I get on the Wii and start looking stuff up. I found this website and said to Press and hold the homepower for a little bit. And boom iPhone back on. I'm sorry for the major story but I just wanted to get the whole thing out so everythings clear:D

Sweppes
Aug 23, 2011, 05:11 AM
Ihave a iphone 2G. I recovered it after water damage. it was fine but then i needed to restore the phone. after that i need to go in DFU mode to unlock the phone, but now my problem is that i can not turn on the phone with the power button. Then i got another back cover with power switch. Stil the same. What is weird whet i plug the iphone in pc via usb or wall mount it turns on. and then i cat switch it off using the powe\sleep button. But I can nit turn it on with it. Please help. Thanx

The-SubZero
Aug 29, 2011, 01:56 AM
so my friend played my ipod yesterday it went off and i tried 2 turn it on but it showed a usb plug under the itunes with a disc so PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::apple::apple::(

barisperim
Sep 1, 2011, 03:02 PM
so my friend played my ipod yesterday it went off and i tried 2 turn it on but it showed a usb plug under the itunes with a disc so PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::apple::apple::(

First open iTunes and Conect your iPhone cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while conecting the iPhone cord into your iPhone continue to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes. This would fix your problem!

jaylivingston
Sep 22, 2011, 08:13 AM

You are the man! This worked for me. You do have to hold both of them down for SEVERAL seconds... like 10-15 seconds. But it popped right back on. Thanks a million. :)

da1beast
Sep 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
my iphone hasent worked for over a year now:eek:. i dont know what to do:confused:. i got it from my brother and he got it from a friend. i was resseting it when my cuzin graves it and pushes the off button and holds it thinking it would turn on :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: (hes older than me. i told him it was off and resseting but he didnt listen.) but all it does is send him to the screen where the white apple sing come on :apple:. then the apple logo stays there for 10 seconds. then it shuts off again:confused:. ive let it die completely and charged it and it still dosent work. :confused::confused::confused:ive also held the buttons but it dosent work still. i dont know what to do.:confused: im pretty sure they wont want me to take it to the apple store.:apple::confused::(

saman.D
Dec 12, 2011, 04:54 AM
my brother was playing with my iphone and when he gave me back my iphone he didint closed the game and after 30min i was going to check my phone and ther was: BAM!!! on the lock screen says talking rapper(the app) and battery percent was 1% :eek: then i connect it to my loptop for recharge after that my dad disconnect it and connect his iphone , after a short time i was going to check my phone it was out of battery and when i pressed power button a yellow screen appear and then gose black! dead iphone body in my hand! after that i connect it to wall charger it wont charge , connect it to loptop it wont charge . after a time leaving it to charge it still wont turn on , i try holding power and home button and power
i try holding it for long
connecting it to loptop
and every other way that people said on the site BUT!!!! nothing happend
my biggest problem is that my iphone is jailbroken and im in a travel and now im iran theres no way to change it or repair it just internet!
my iphone 3g 16g and ver 4.0
who is going to be my hero???! :mad::(:eek:
i love apple
now i hate :apple:

Umbray
Dec 20, 2011, 07:45 PM

Thanks so much! This really helped me! You can ask me any questions at anytime. I will help you forever!c;)

Iphonero
Dec 20, 2011, 10:27 PM
That happened to me on the new iPad. It turned out it was the wall charger. If the battery is ZERO to a point that won't do anything only the proper wall charger will work nothing else. Go to apple store and replace it..:)

marilynnc.
Dec 30, 2011, 03:20 PM
I need so much help. So last night i charged my Iphone and i left it charging for the whole night and once i woke up It was completly shut off ! i try turning it on and nothing appears its just shut off i tried plugging it in on itunes and nothing appears, and i just got it for christmas what can i do ! Help anyone?:confused:

Kamera RAWr
Jan 5, 2012, 03:25 AM
Looking back through this old thread, which I posted in over 4 years ago, I noticed many people were helped by my advice. Happy to have helped! I suppose the main reason why I'm posting now after all this time is that I'm surprised this thread has been reasonably alive all this time. This trick obviously has worked on multiple generations of iPhones.

hi people!
Jan 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
so apple support set me up with an appointment at the apple store to see if they can fix it, if they cant they said they will give me a new iPhone. This just sucks cuz i am out of a phone till monday. Thats a weekend. I guess i'll live.

do you have to have your iphone activated and or have insurance on it to get a new one

ibiza18t
Jan 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Thank you guys! Pressing and holding the 2 buttons simultaneously was the solution for dead iphone! Thank you again, for saving me money and mostly my time! A stupid technician, told me the first time to change the home button (75 euros) and then the baterry (70 euros) to solve this and that there was nothing I could do by myself to turn on the phone!

sparky-al
Feb 15, 2012, 05:38 AM
Thanks everyone for these forums, I thought I was screwed when my new Iphone 4 woudn't turn on, but thanks to this forum, I'm back in business!!!!
Holding the power and Home buttons worked! Thanks again.

jax99
Feb 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
help...my iphone 4 was sitting next to my on the couch, with about 60% battery...all of a sudden the screen is black and the phone is off. i did the hard reset turned it back on, its fine. 5 min later...off again. keep in mind, i am not on it, its not warm, i didnt download anything new. i did the reset again, and it came on, flickered off and its been dead since. not doing anything!!! help!!! the hard reset hasnt worked!!

pmau
Feb 20, 2012, 06:18 AM
help...my iphone 4 was sitting next to my on the couch, with about 60% battery...all of a sudden the screen is black and the phone is off. i did the hard reset turned it back on, its fine. 5 min later...off again. keep in mind, i am not on it, its not warm, i didnt download anything new. i did the reset again, and it came on, flickered off and its been dead since. not doing anything!!! help!!! the hard reset hasnt worked!!

My iPhone 4 died yesterday. I left it on the wall-charger for 12 hours.
I did everything, hard reset, DFU mode, connect to computer and reboot.

Nothing. It's not doing anything.

I wrote a really angry mail on Apple's feedback form.
These high-end products are amazing but they are too fragile for daily use.

I handled my phone with the upmost care, no scratch or anything.
And now it's floating dead in the water.

(18 month, no guarantee, no replacement)

yuwan
May 29, 2012, 09:45 PM

This is how it happened:

Cheers

This guy is brilliant! same problem earlier and I decided to replace the battery. After reading this post, and follows the what he did. My iphone finally charging normally. Thanks a lot man.
This guy is brealeant

stitchedlove
Sep 19, 2012, 06:59 PM
I was just downloading the new iTunes. It was an update. Then it said error. And my phone's been stuck! It's only showing this on the screen - http://0.tqn.com/d/ipod/1/G/s/E/-/-/iphone-recovery-mode.jpg .

Coppersun
Nov 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
Omgsh, thank you SO much!

Eaglepride40
Nov 11, 2012, 04:58 AM
Alright, I could really use some help here. My phone has been stuck on this black screen for the past couple of days, and no matter what I do it won't turn on. I had it charging to my laptop in the floor and fell asleep on the couch. My little brother layed his clothes ontop of my phone and I believe it overheated and went into DFU mode. Ive bought a new charger and tried it in multiple USB ports, but my computer and itunes wont recognize it. It is Jailbroken with Redsnow, which doesnt recognize it either. So when I tried to go into recovery mode through redsnow, it just says that it cant find it. I did all the button pushing combinations, since I am sorta experienced with this since my phone got stuck on the apple logo before and I had to force it into recovery mode. I reseated my battery as well, and that didnt seem to help. I dont have a warranty on the phone, since I bought it from a friend awhile back. Im extremely frustrated at the moment, and i've searched a -ton- of forums. my friend's site videos didn't help either. People keep telling me to hold the home and power button at the same time, but it doesnt do anything. I dont care if I lose everything on the phone, I can easily rejailbreak it and get it all back. Someone please help me ;(

applenerd8
Nov 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
There's lots of good advice here. But it doesn't seem like anyone is experiencing exactly what I am. I have made a thread about it. I'll do a brief explanation here and then post a link as well.

So what happens with me is this:
I am using my phone as usual. Texting, phoning, playing games, etc. when it will suddenly go black. Have at least 70% charge. It doesn't turn on most of the time. I try holding both home and power for different durations etc, and nothing. Odd occasion, it will turn on. But doesn't last long as trying to do anything kills it again. The only thing I have yet to see kill it is playing music.

Strange thing is, unlike others, hooking it up to a laptop of charger will bring it back to life. I know this will prompt most people to say that it's the battery, but I still feel the issue lies elsewhere. This is because, like I said, sometimes I can listen to music and it will carry on working. I have listened to music until 40% and it's still alive. And if I don't do anything, it stays alive in my pocket, slowly draining in standby as it does and will go down past 50% and still be fine. But if I'm wrong and it is a battery problem, let me know.

I have tried a restore, but it hasn't fixed it. Problem is with restore is, of course, once setting up I have to restore all my data and sync it all back on. Could this be causing an error? Will starting from fresh make it work. But then how I can do that? I have been using this phone for 3 years and don't want to lose everything. I have contacted Apple and they want to replace it for £126, which I don't really want to pay if I can fix it another way. If there is no other way, I would at least like to know what the hell happened to it. It has worked beautifully all this time and I'm depressed that it decided to mess up. Very disheartening.

PLEASE HELP!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1487515

mikeshoreline
Dec 28, 2012, 07:25 AM
Thank you very much Kamera RAW. Your recommendation worked after a few seconds of holding both power and home button. I appreciate it.
Happy New Year!

Knuckle dragged
Jan 29, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure how many people this will help, but if you've tried the hold this count to ten thing and still have a dead iPhone. There is one more thing. I pulled the back off and unplugged the battery for about thirty seconds. Just like most other electronics the iPhone responds to cave man thinking.

Ifixit.com can show you how it's done, but amazon has cheaper screwdrivers.

jzpearson
Feb 12, 2013, 11:46 AM
I had a similar problem as all of the above. My battery was low, phone shut off, then dead no matter what. I tried all of the above mentioned tricks with buttons and plugging into chargers and computers in different combinations.
I finally went to an apple store. They told me that based on a small amount of green corrosion on the port the phone was considered water damaged and the warranty voided. I know the phone was not water damaged. But even after arguing with them and finally getting them to open the phone and see that the inside water damage sensors were not 'tripped', they still refused to honor the warranty and said based only on the corrosion of the terminals the warranty is void.
Therefore, if I had cleaned the terminals before bringing it in I would have been given a replacement phone. Instead $200 for a new phone. The apple employees (based on squirming and shady question dodging) basically confirmed this.
I recommend to everyone to clean (carefully!) the terminals of the port before going to apple for help.