Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Several readers noted that they received delay notices from Apple today for their PowerMac G5 2.0GHz systems. The new delayed date was cited to be October 14, 2003.

However, one reader reports that after speaking to an Apple Representative today, only some orders were supposed to receive this delay email, while other orders were to get shipping notices... but unfortunately everyone was sent the 'delay' notice.

This particular reader was told that his machine should be shipping today. Your mileage may vary.

media_jedi

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
I work at a small Apple VAR in Canada, and we received our very first Dual 2.0 GHZ unit at around 11:00 this morning (EST). Of course we only received 1 unit and we have over 20 people who have already paid for these machines.

Of course it took all my willpower not to crack open the box and "test" it a little before the customer got it....

fcpguy

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2003
Los Angeles
Delayed here too

I got an email about an hour ago saying my order was delayed until 10/14(was supposed to ship today). What's weird is that I spoke to apple billing last week due to some issue they were having with my CC company and they told me they were trying to confirm my CC because my order was being built and they wanted to be ready to charge me as soon as it shipped. The women also claimed that she showed my box shipping anytime between last thurs and today. When I called apple today after I got the email I got some moron who didn't say anything helpful and didn't know anything and said I dunno a lot. Needless to say I shot customer service a rather nasty email, I'll let everyone know if I get a real response. This pretty much blows....it seems something is going on that apple is not telling anyone about.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by Waluigi
I have not recieved the delay e-mail, and as of 7:14 EST my order still says on or before 9/25......

--Waluigi

Ofcourse you havent. The delay email says "Due to an unexpected supply delay we were unable to ship the following items by the date you were quoted", which means you probably wont get a notice until 9/25

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
What a bad situation. But we should have expected it nonetheless. I know it is outrageous, but what can we do. :(

I feel bad for everyone waiting.

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
Email, what email?

I've never received an email, from the start even on the first delay. My date states 9/23, but I'm not holding my breath. I was told by apple developer customer support the following:

1) We can't keep up with the demand for the Dual's. I asked when they would get more in, he said next week. I asked if that would be enough, he said no they have orders waiting in the 5 digits. (this was last week)

2) Today, I'm told it's still not looking very good. He did say Apple is trying to ship as many as they can this week, to make there finacial quarter. That's all well and good, but I doubt they will ship my discounted ADC machine over a full price order. Maybe I'm wrong but we'll see...

Anyway, i guess I can't do anything but wait. Just sucks I've been waiting months to switch to a Mac, only to wait months for an order. I guess my biggest beef is the fact it sounds like people who ordered way after my order, are getting there machines first. Mine is a standard G5 ordered 6/25, but I have heard of orders made on 8/1 shipping?!

Lesson learned, don't buy a pre-order wait until it's in the store and pick it up...

Question for people who get the "your computer is buying built as we speak, I just checked on it, or I saw your name on it, or etc."... Where are you getting this stuff from? My customer service reps. (ADC) don't tell me any stories like this, are the regular customer service reps sitting in the assembly line or something? (or making up some BS to get you off the line) The best I get on the ADC line is "Yeah, we are expecting some to be delivered next week but I wouldn't expect anything."

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Shipped!

Well mine is a UK 6/23 edu CTO order and it has shipped today. Perhaps I'm just lucky but I've seen quite a few people getting their machines shipped now.

Good luck to those who haven't had theirs shipped yet.

e.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
ONE Edu. CTO shipped to the UK? Wow. Guess my multiple Edu. Inst. POs for multiple Dual CTOs don't matter. Hey, it's only thousands of dollars of Edu. business that I may cancel to wait for the next revision, if at all. What the hell happened to bumping Edu. Inst. orders before consumers?

This is a fiasco. Doubly so since numerous Apple employees, including the G5 Prod. Mgr., said they'd ship before the end of august. October 15th will mean a total of 3.5 months from order to ship.

Ridiculous.

fcpguy

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2003
Los Angeles
Here's the latest

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

The new PowerMac G5 is shipping! Following is an update regarding your order.

Apple has been working round the clock to fill customer orders and is very
pleased to inform you that your order will ship within 3 to 5 days. Our
standard, systematic notification, which was sent earlier today, may have
indicated a longer lead time. Please disregard that notice and accept our
apologies for any confusion it may have caused.

Before we can continue to process your order, we need to hear from you. You
may change or cancel your order any time before it is shipped. If you choose
to cancel your order, Apple will issue a prompt refund. If we do not hear from
you or cannot ship your order within 3 to 5 days, Apple is required by federal
law to cancel your order and issue a refund. We are happy to answer questions
or provide further status regarding your order. You may reach us Monday
through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. central time, Saturday and Sunday
from 9:00 a.m. To 6:00 p.m. central time, or by email at
customerconfirm@group.apple.com.

We appreciate your business and your patience. Thank you for shopping at the
Apple Store.

Contact Information:

Fax # (512) 674-2226
Phone # (800) 676-2775 Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6pm CT

If you have any questions concerning your order, please call us at

Sincerely,
Apple Computer Consumer

daijones

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Screwy

I ordered a UK 1.8 edu CTO in mid-August, and saw the date getting bumped back and back. By the 16th Sept the quoted delivery had got to early October. By then, having had time to ponder, I was wishing I'd ordered the dual 2.0. Given that Panther was then expected late Oct, and the wait for the dual was "4-6 weeks", I thought sod it and cancelled the 1.8 order, ordering a 2.0 edu CTO on the 16th Sept. My thinking was, hopefully it'll only be a couple of weeks later than the 1.8 and I'll get Panther with it. The machine shipped Saturday (20th) and I hope to get it later today. What gives?? Obviously I'm not complaining, though now I'm wondering how much I'll have to stump up for Panther when it ships. Nor am I recommending everyone cancels their orders and starts again. But something's obviously gone wrong with Apple's order control system somewhere.

mrougeux

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
My 6/23 order for a dual with Radeon 9800 card and 2x250GB hard drives still says OOB 9/29. It is an online edu order. Esheep is the only person known to mankind to order the 250GB drive and be given a shipping notice! Good for him. Anybody else out there order a big drive or 9800 card and get a ship date?

daijones

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Nice!

Originally posted by mrougeux
My 6/23 order for a dual with Radeon 9800 card and 2x250GB hard drives still says OOB 9/29. It is an online edu order. Esheep is the only person known to mankind to order the 250GB drive and be given a shipping notice! Good for him. Anybody else out there order a big drive or 9800 card and get a ship date?

That's one hell of a machine. The wait must be agonising but it'll be worth it!

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by JtheLemur
ONE Edu. CTO shipped to the UK? Wow. Guess my multiple Edu. Inst. POs for multiple Dual CTOs don't matter. Hey, it's only thousands of dollars of Edu. business that I may cancel to wait for the next revision, if at all. What the hell happened to bumping Edu. Inst. orders before consumers?

Last time I checked, the EDU consumers paid a higher price than the EDU institutions. So why should the institutions necessarily get superior service?

Basically, everyone thinks that their order should get first priority. But mathematically that is impossible - some people must lose out if there are limited quantities. I'm sorry, but that's just life.

sugarprobe

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2003
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
wow

This is not good news for me I guess. I orderd a standard Dual 2 Aug 15th. I don't imagine I'll be hearing from my reseller anytime soon.:( Maybe I should cancell and go with the 1.8 they have in stock? Or will the possible extra weeks be worth the wait? The real bad part for me is I sold my 17" powerbook to get this thing, so now I sit and type on a borrowed G4, 466.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by sugarprobe
wow

This is not good news for me I guess. I orderd a standard Dual 2 Aug 15th. I don't imagine I'll be hearing from my reseller anytime soon.:( Maybe I should cancell and go with the 1.8 they have in stock? Or will the possible extra weeks be worth the wait? The real bad part for me is I sold my 17" powerbook to get this thing, so now I sit and type on a borrowed G4, 466.

I feel your pain, but I think the dual 2ghz is worth the wait... Especially if youre stepping up from a machine like the 17'' powerbook

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
This is kind of similar to what happened with the new Powerbooks the other day. Several people (including myself) got "delay" notices, only to find that the computers had shipped the next day!

mrougeux

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by sonicsessions
you'll probably all hate me, but I got my cto G5 (dual 2GHz) last friday. But trust me folks... it's worth the hassle... I love this machine! :)

Well give us the specs. Lots of folks are getting duals, but no 2x250. And you?

sugarprobe

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2003
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally posted by sonicsessions
you'll probably all hate me, but I got my cto G5 (dual 2GHz) last friday. But trust me folks... it's worth the hassle... I love this machine! :)

Happy for you but jeleous. lol. Where abouts are you located? When was your order placed? Was it standard config?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.