PDA

View Full Version : G5's Delayed or Not?

MacRumors
Sep 22, 2003, 05:44 PM
Several readers noted that they received delay notices from Apple today for their PowerMac G5 2.0GHz systems. The new delayed date was cited to be October 14, 2003.

However, one reader reports that after speaking to an Apple Representative today, only some orders were supposed to receive this delay email, while other orders were to get shipping notices... but unfortunately everyone was sent the 'delay' notice.

This particular reader was told that his machine should be shipping today. Your mileage may vary.

Tiauguinho
Sep 22, 2003, 05:47 PM
This is pretty amazing. Im glad i didnt order a Dual G5 or i would be climbing the walls right now!

JtheLemur
Sep 22, 2003, 05:48 PM
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1596838

Talk about ************. Grrrrrrr.

MarksEvilTwin
Sep 22, 2003, 05:52 PM
Removed

Chaszmyr
Sep 22, 2003, 05:56 PM
My order was placed on 6/23 and I received the delay email...

dho
Sep 22, 2003, 06:00 PM
2 MONTHS OF DELAYS :( :(

Arn, wanna help organize a raid at VT?

media_jedi
Sep 22, 2003, 06:10 PM
I work at a small Apple VAR in Canada, and we received our very first Dual 2.0 GHZ unit at around 11:00 this morning (EST). Of course we only received 1 unit and we have over 20 people who have already paid for these machines.

Of course it took all my willpower not to crack open the box and "test" it a little before the customer got it....

fcpguy
Sep 22, 2003, 06:10 PM
I got an email about an hour ago saying my order was delayed until 10/14(was supposed to ship today). What's weird is that I spoke to apple billing last week due to some issue they were having with my CC company and they told me they were trying to confirm my CC because my order was being built and they wanted to be ready to charge me as soon as it shipped. The women also claimed that she showed my box shipping anytime between last thurs and today. When I called apple today after I got the email I got some moron who didn't say anything helpful and didn't know anything and said I dunno a lot. Needless to say I shot customer service a rather nasty email, I'll let everyone know if I get a real response. This pretty much blows....it seems something is going on that apple is not telling anyone about.

Waluigi
Sep 22, 2003, 06:15 PM
I have not recieved the delay e-mail, and as of 7:14 EST my order still says on or before 9/25......

--Waluigi

Chaszmyr
Sep 22, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Waluigi
I have not recieved the delay e-mail, and as of 7:14 EST my order still says on or before 9/25......

--Waluigi

Ofcourse you havent. The delay email says "Due to an unexpected supply delay we were unable to ship the following items by the date you were quoted", which means you probably wont get a notice until 9/25

Freg3000
Sep 22, 2003, 06:36 PM
What a bad situation. But we should have expected it nonetheless. I know it is outrageous, but what can we do. :(

I feel bad for everyone waiting.

3-22
Sep 22, 2003, 06:53 PM
I've never received an email, from the start even on the first delay. My date states 9/23, but I'm not holding my breath. I was told by apple developer customer support the following:

1) We can't keep up with the demand for the Dual's. I asked when they would get more in, he said next week. I asked if that would be enough, he said no they have orders waiting in the 5 digits. (this was last week)

2) Today, I'm told it's still not looking very good. He did say Apple is trying to ship as many as they can this week, to make there finacial quarter. That's all well and good, but I doubt they will ship my discounted ADC machine over a full price order. Maybe I'm wrong but we'll see...

Anyway, i guess I can't do anything but wait. Just sucks I've been waiting months to switch to a Mac, only to wait months for an order. I guess my biggest beef is the fact it sounds like people who ordered way after my order, are getting there machines first. Mine is a standard G5 ordered 6/25, but I have heard of orders made on 8/1 shipping?!

Lesson learned, don't buy a pre-order wait until it's in the store and pick it up...

Question for people who get the "your computer is buying built as we speak, I just checked on it, or I saw your name on it, or etc."... Where are you getting this stuff from? My customer service reps. (ADC) don't tell me any stories like this, are the regular customer service reps sitting in the assembly line or something? (or making up some BS to get you off the line) The best I get on the ADC line is "Yeah, we are expecting some to be delivered next week but I wouldn't expect anything."

esheep2001
Sep 22, 2003, 07:05 PM
Well mine is a UK 6/23 edu CTO order and it has shipped today. Perhaps I'm just lucky but I've seen quite a few people getting their machines shipped now.

Good luck to those who haven't had theirs shipped yet.

e.

JtheLemur
Sep 22, 2003, 07:39 PM
ONE Edu. CTO shipped to the UK? Wow. Guess my multiple Edu. Inst. POs for multiple Dual CTOs don't matter. Hey, it's only thousands of dollars of Edu. business that I may cancel to wait for the next revision, if at all. What the hell happened to bumping Edu. Inst. orders before consumers?

This is a fiasco. Doubly so since numerous Apple employees, including the G5 Prod. Mgr., said they'd ship before the end of august. October 15th will mean a total of 3.5 months from order to ship.

Ridiculous.

fcpguy
Sep 22, 2003, 08:05 PM
To Our Valued Apple Customer:

The new PowerMac G5 is shipping! Following is an update regarding your order.

Apple has been working round the clock to fill customer orders and is very
pleased to inform you that your order will ship within 3 to 5 days. Our
standard, systematic notification, which was sent earlier today, may have
indicated a longer lead time. Please disregard that notice and accept our
apologies for any confusion it may have caused.

Before we can continue to process your order, we need to hear from you. You
may change or cancel your order any time before it is shipped. If you choose
to cancel your order, Apple will issue a prompt refund. If we do not hear from
you or cannot ship your order within 3 to 5 days, Apple is required by federal
law to cancel your order and issue a refund. We are happy to answer questions
or provide further status regarding your order. You may reach us Monday
through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. central time, Saturday and Sunday
from 9:00 a.m. To 6:00 p.m. central time, or by email at
customerconfirm@group.apple.com.

We appreciate your business and your patience. Thank you for shopping at the
Apple Store.

Contact Information:

Fax # (512) 674-2226
Phone # (800) 676-2775 Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6pm CT

If you have any questions concerning your order, please call us at

Sincerely,
Apple Computer Consumer

daijones
Sep 22, 2003, 08:35 PM
I ordered a UK 1.8 edu CTO in mid-August, and saw the date getting bumped back and back. By the 16th Sept the quoted delivery had got to early October. By then, having had time to ponder, I was wishing I'd ordered the dual 2.0. Given that Panther was then expected late Oct, and the wait for the dual was "4-6 weeks", I thought sod it and cancelled the 1.8 order, ordering a 2.0 edu CTO on the 16th Sept. My thinking was, hopefully it'll only be a couple of weeks later than the 1.8 and I'll get Panther with it. The machine shipped Saturday (20th) and I hope to get it later today. What gives?? Obviously I'm not complaining, though now I'm wondering how much I'll have to stump up for Panther when it ships. Nor am I recommending everyone cancels their orders and starts again. But something's obviously gone wrong with Apple's order control system somewhere.

mrougeux
Sep 22, 2003, 08:40 PM
My 6/23 order for a dual with Radeon 9800 card and 2x250GB hard drives still says OOB 9/29. It is an online edu order. Esheep is the only person known to mankind to order the 250GB drive and be given a shipping notice! Good for him. Anybody else out there order a big drive or 9800 card and get a ship date?

daijones
Sep 22, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by mrougeux
My 6/23 order for a dual with Radeon 9800 card and 2x250GB hard drives still says OOB 9/29. It is an online edu order. Esheep is the only person known to mankind to order the 250GB drive and be given a shipping notice! Good for him. Anybody else out there order a big drive or 9800 card and get a ship date?

That's one hell of a machine. The wait must be agonising but it'll be worth it!

macrumors12345
Sep 22, 2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
ONE Edu. CTO shipped to the UK? Wow. Guess my multiple Edu. Inst. POs for multiple Dual CTOs don't matter. Hey, it's only thousands of dollars of Edu. business that I may cancel to wait for the next revision, if at all. What the hell happened to bumping Edu. Inst. orders before consumers?

Last time I checked, the EDU consumers paid a higher price than the EDU institutions. So why should the institutions necessarily get superior service?

Basically, everyone thinks that their order should get first priority. But mathematically that is impossible - some people must lose out if there are limited quantities. I'm sorry, but that's just life.

sugarprobe
Sep 22, 2003, 09:31 PM
wow

This is not good news for me I guess. I orderd a standard Dual 2 Aug 15th. I don't imagine I'll be hearing from my reseller anytime soon.:( Maybe I should cancell and go with the 1.8 they have in stock? Or will the possible extra weeks be worth the wait? The real bad part for me is I sold my 17" powerbook to get this thing, so now I sit and type on a borrowed G4, 466.

Chaszmyr
Sep 22, 2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by sugarprobe
wow

This is not good news for me I guess. I orderd a standard Dual 2 Aug 15th. I don't imagine I'll be hearing from my reseller anytime soon.:( Maybe I should cancell and go with the 1.8 they have in stock? Or will the possible extra weeks be worth the wait? The real bad part for me is I sold my 17" powerbook to get this thing, so now I sit and type on a borrowed G4, 466.

I feel your pain, but I think the dual 2ghz is worth the wait... Especially if youre stepping up from a machine like the 17'' powerbook

MattG
Sep 22, 2003, 09:41 PM
This is kind of similar to what happened with the new Powerbooks the other day. Several people (including myself) got "delay" notices, only to find that the computers had shipped the next day!

sonicsessions
Sep 22, 2003, 11:28 PM
you'll probably all hate me, but I got my cto G5 (dual 2GHz) last friday. But trust me folks... it's worth the hassle... I love this machine! :)

mrougeux
Sep 22, 2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by sonicsessions
you'll probably all hate me, but I got my cto G5 (dual 2GHz) last friday. But trust me folks... it's worth the hassle... I love this machine! :)

Well give us the specs. Lots of folks are getting duals, but no 2x250. And you?

sugarprobe
Sep 23, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by sonicsessions

Happy for you but jeleous. lol. Where abouts are you located? When was your order placed? Was it standard config?

JtheLemur
Sep 23, 2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by macrumors12345
Last time I checked, the EDU consumers paid a higher price than the EDU institutions. So why should the institutions necessarily get superior service?

Did you actually read my post? Apple said that Education al Institution orders would be pushed ahead of certain other orders so that they could deliver them in time for back-to-school. THAT'S why I'm upset - I don't want superior service, I want the service I was told I'd get. Virginia Tech obviously got superior service. I've got an empty state-of-the-art media lab - everything is there but the computers. Back-to-school my ass. Erf.

freddiecable
Sep 23, 2003, 02:51 AM
yo :)

I ordered my dual G5 late august and i received my delivery notice yestarday 22/09 - and I'll receive the box this week!

richardH
Sep 23, 2003, 06:56 AM
Is it that only special orders are not shipping or is apple just disorganized. How can some people be getting their machines that just ordered them and others that have ordered them months ago are getting letters. Is it the 250 drive problem. The apple stores all say they expect them any day now but that's what they have been saying for weeks. I have been sitting here for 2 months without my G4 on a 233 bondi imac with about another ram to type this letter. I was about to give up today and go out and buy the 1.8 till I woke up and saw that late Aug orders are shipping..WHAT'S GOING ON HERE! I feel like a YO YO here.

clownie
Sep 23, 2003, 07:49 AM
I ordered a DP G5 in June, reordered in early July when my academic account regenerated. Was "on or before 9/22" until 9/22, then yesterday got the 2-3 weeks letter. A few hours later got the "your order will ship within 3 to 5 days. Our standard, systematic notification, which was sent earlier today, may have indicated a longer lead time. Please disregard that notice and accept our apologies for any confusion it may have caused."
Over the last 12 hours, my orderstatus bounced back and fortrh from 9/22 to 10/14 and back again three times.
I am going to try holding my breath until it ships, so this may be my last (and first) post.
Brian

freddiecable
Sep 23, 2003, 08:22 AM
I was talking to apple store Ireland yesterday and the guy told me that the production of dual G5s are speeding up and that larger shipments of dual G5s started this weekend...20 - 21st of September. At least in Europe...USA should be before - right!?

I was ordering through apple store education - might be a reason for being speedier for me?

fcpguy
Sep 23, 2003, 09:27 AM
Now my order has disappeared completely??????? What the.....
Over the last 24 hours my order has gone from 9/22 to 10/14 to 3 to 5 days to gone completely. This is so much fun I can hardly contain myself....back to the phone, again!

mactarheel
Sep 23, 2003, 09:54 AM
It may be getting ready to ship...mine did that late last night where the date disappeared completely. I checked the rest of the page and found shipped at the top in the heading and open at the bottom in grey. Not long after that I received my tracking # and am sitting here waiting for it right now. They upgraded me to express shipping but there are delays in the area today but it should be here some time today!!!

Good luck...let us know!

fcpguy
Sep 23, 2003, 12:08 PM
Called apple....the guy said the "check order status" link would be incorrect as 90 days have elapsed since ordering....he pointed me to apple.com/orderstatus where my order was still there. Still somethings not right as he told me most people with a 9/22 ship date would see their's between today and monday, including myself. However my est. ship date on the order status page still shows 10/14...we'll see what happens next????

sugarprobe
Sep 23, 2003, 01:12 PM
well, just got a reply from EMJ Canada, which get their supplies through Apple canada. I emailed and asked for any info on the Dual's. I explained that I had ordered Mid August and nobody at the store could tell me anything except that I could cancel and get the 1.8. My reply from them was hang on cause we are getting 60 Duals in on thursday and I should get mine by monday or early next week.:D I hope this person actually know what they are talking about.

juststeve
Sep 23, 2003, 02:54 PM
Ordered 6/27/2003 from ADC Store
Dual 2GHz
512MB (2x256)
160GB
SuperDrive
+ Radeon 9800 Pro
+ Bluetooth
+ Airport Extreme

Shipped 9/22/2003, 2nd Day.
Upgraded from Bestway to 2nd Day. (Never called in to complain at any point.)
Never got any emails regarding delays. Only got these emails: order confirmation, order processed and shipment notification.

:D
:p

sonicsessions
Sep 23, 2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by sugarprobe
Happy for you but jeleous. lol. Where abouts are you located? When was your order placed? Was it standard config?

I ordered it about 3 hours after the keynote. It's a 2ghz DP that is basically stock with the exception of 1) addition of the bluetooth module and 2) subtraction of the 56k Modem. I ordered through the ADC.

Kenndac
Sep 24, 2003, 05:24 AM
Well, I ordered a CTO Dual 2ghz (Airport Extreme, No SuperDrive) and it arrived yesterday. I love it! And I'm in the UK... something is really strange with these shipping times!

mactarheel
Sep 24, 2003, 05:28 AM
What carrier brought it to you? Airborne? Did it originate in Elk Grove?

greenaa
Sep 24, 2003, 08:45 AM
I ordered a Dual G5 (personal education order) with a 250GB Drive and a Bluetooth Module on June 27th. My date was on or before 9/29 and I just received confirmation from Apple that it shipped yesterday (9/23) by 2 day Airborne Express.

mactarheel
Sep 24, 2003, 08:51 AM
My G5 is out for delivery as of 9:29 am. Airborne called again and said it would be here by 11 am. I feel much better now!:p

mactarheel
Sep 24, 2003, 10:08 AM
My G5 just arrived!!!

bsod
Sep 24, 2003, 11:54 AM
Hmm...

Ordered on 7/14 for dual processor G5 w/ 512, 160, SD, and 9800. Delayed from 8/29 to 9/22 and then to 10/14. Also received notice on 9/22 saying my order was shipping (3-5 days) but that I had to contact Apple first. When I called, before I told the rep about the bit in the letter saying my Apple was shipping, I told him about the need to contact Apple. He told me some bull about needing to hear from me so that I would be kept in the queue, since my ship date has slipped. I never got a notice before telling me to contact Apple. (Need to hear from me could be due to 90 days from order date to ship date.) When I read (and I did read) almost the entire 9/22 notice to this Apple rep, he gave some vague answer that my order was to be shipped before 10/14. I pressed him on the issue, and he then confirmed the G5 would ship between 3-5 days. (What's it to him if it does or doesn't? He's got nothing to work from except what I see on the Apple Store, which still indicates a ship date of 10/14.)

When I see some activity on my Apple Store loan, I'll feel a bit better. The 8/29 notice I received told me I'd be receiving my order within 10-15 days...

juststeve
Sep 24, 2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by juststeve
Ordered 6/27/2003 from ADC Store
Dual 2GHz
512MB (2x256)
160GB
SuperDrive
+ Radeon 9800 Pro
+ Bluetooth
+ Airport Extreme

Shipped 9/22/2003, 2nd Day.
Upgraded from Bestway to 2nd Day. (Never called in to complain at any point.)
Never got any emails regarding delays. Only got these emails: order confirmation, order processed and shipment notification.

:D
:p

PC3200 512MB * 2 arrived.
And my Dual G5 followed. *drool*
And to think I was ][ that close to cancelling my order and getting an iBook or PB G4 15" instead!!! What was I thinking?! ;)

--JustSteve

agreenster
Sep 24, 2003, 01:00 PM
One Question:

Why in BLOODY HELL did Apple not expect this kind of response, and make the entire line dual processors? --Or at least two of the models?

Cripes. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DrDrMrMD
Sep 24, 2003, 09:26 PM
Ordered the Dual box with 1Gig and both Airport and Bluetooth on 7/2. Had the delivery date slip and slide until 9/29, then it dropped back to 9/26. and then 9/22.
I got it on 9/18 (along with my very nice 23HD screen and EyeOne calibrator). They had bumped up my shipping to overnight as this was a business purchase and I had called after the last round of shipping postponements ("8/29").
I am unsure if I got this because I had ordered this as a business purchase, because I had called and talked nicely to the rep, or simply because.
The machine is beautiful, is screamingly fast, and I have only one stuck pixel (red) on the display, where it is out of the way for the majority of photo retouching.
My advice: Keep the faith. It's worth the wait!

clownie
Sep 24, 2003, 09:50 PM
I was a 9/22 guy, see above posts. Got both letters, and tonight it shipped (2 business days)!!!:)

Genie
Sep 25, 2003, 12:45 AM
Mine's here - ordered 6.23-

natwest
Sep 25, 2003, 03:28 AM

Ordered on 21 July in Uk and Apple store says it shipped yesterday!!!!

mrougeux
Sep 25, 2003, 07:37 AM
If you follow the Apple Suport>Discussions>Power Mac>Powermac G5>Usage forum threads, there are lots of people getting single and dual 250 HD's. But not you or me. I ordered 6/23!!

fcpguy
Sep 25, 2003, 08:37 AM
Got the shipping confirmation this morning...I had ordered the night of the keynote :D

natwest
Sep 25, 2003, 12:19 PM
If you follow the Apple Suport>Discussions>Power Mac>Powermac G5>Usage forum threads, there are lots of people getting single and dual 250 HD's. But not you or me. I ordered 6/23!!

Mine is a dual processor with 2 x 250 hard drive, 9800 Card

Was dispatched by TNT from Colnbrook in Berkshire this morning.

Genie
Sep 25, 2003, 07:55 PM
Got mine up and running.

had a usb problem that mysteriously disappeared.

Got it in target disk mode transferring a terabyte of files from my G4.

richardH
Sep 25, 2003, 08:06 PM
after waiting for months the apple store in miami finally got them in, so i was there in 15 minutes to pick up the first one purchased in florida from an apple store. Got home and checked my mail and was about to call apple to cancel my online order that was not supposed to ship til oct 14th and it was shipped about same time I walked out of the store. After months of waiting its raining duals...now i am on hold for 30 minutes trying to cancel the order...luckily the apple store will take back the one that is being mailed.:D :confused: :D

Black Badger
Sep 26, 2003, 02:48 AM
UK Dual G5s

According to the UK Apple Store Dual G5's have an expected ship date of 7-10 days, down from 6-10 weeks!

And a BTO version 9-11 days

Ps. Sorry, been lazy and not read any other posts, so I apologise if this has already been said.

Genie
Sep 26, 2003, 03:24 AM
Kind of wierd- I heard the clicking hard drive? noise a while back...
then I went upstairs for a while and when I came back the G5 was asleep, I think , and the fans on full blast. I moved the mouse, and the fans quieted down.:confused:

fcpguy
Sep 26, 2003, 02:33 PM
Mine finally showed up today....woohoo...
I'm at work so I can't give it a test run, but plan on messing with it a bit tonight...there have been a parade of people in and out of my bay to check it out....pretty cool. Damn thing is big and relatively heavy, but impressive none the less.:D

bsod
Sep 26, 2003, 04:30 PM
I am on the phone with Apple as I type. It seems Apple was ready to ship my order, until they ran into some payment issues. I called to resolve those issues, and the person I spoke with assured me that my order would ship shortly after my payment cleared. This rep told me that would have ocurred by this morning, at the latest (referring to the resolution of payment problems, not shipping). As of this afternoon I received no shipping confirmation from Apple; the status of my order is unchaged on the Apple Store. Thus I called Apple, and the first person I spoke with told me my order was pushed back to 106-10/14! I asked this rep how that was possible, since my order was ready to ship pending payment. This person had no answer for me, so I am now holding for a rep in a different department to see if I can effect a change, or at the least receive an explanation instead of hearing a lot of "I don't knows." It's nice to see that Apple bumped me up to priority overnite shipping...

PS - Results of second coversation with Apple on the same phone call...The second person I spoke with said that the batches of G5s ordered around the timeframe of 7/14 (when I placed my order) MIGHT ship by this Monday (9/29). That's the target date, according to this rep. I'd like to believe Apple, but I'm not holding my breath.