Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarah3585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
I'm a 3rd year Multimedia Student. I enjoy using Flash for web design. I have been trying to learn actionscript 3.0 but find it very boring and hard to follow.
My question to you professionals is how essential is it for a designer?
I see some job adverts that want all the design software knowledge and the coding such as CSS, Actionscript, XHTML. Is this how it is?
I've been lead to believe by my uni that studios have designers and developers so there is no need to know both.

mbrellisford

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Canada
It would definitely make you more flexible. However all of the studios that I have worked in usually do have a designer for the visual aspect, and a developer for the core coding of it. I find that the more I code, the less I know about design, and the more I design, the less I know about code. Its the whole LeftBrain Vs RightBrain.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
understanding how your designs are produced (be they print, motion, web or anything else) is important. being able to understand the limitations of production makes you a better designer. having said that, i do not think you should feel it is necessary to know how to code, the same way i do not think it is necessary for a print designer to know how to run a press. it is necessary to be able to talk to the person doing the code (or running the press) in the same language.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
More knowledge never hurts. I'd definitely advise getting the XHTML down well.

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
At the company I work for our design and web team are considered one team. We work so close with each other that it is important to understand the coding side of things to more efficiently communicate and work with the coders. You'll have a better grasp of your media's limitations and strengths and can design around them.

There are dedicated designers and coders in a lot of places. There are only 4 designers including myself and 7 coders in our team. Then again, we focus primarily on web design. There are other designers we work with for the copy and imagery for advertisements on occasion but they still screw some things up because of their limited knowledge of code and implementation.

The more you know, the better off you are. Yes, focus on design if that is what you want to do but a general knowledge of code will get you a long way. Especially if you land a job in a smaller company. I guess it also depends on where you end up. If you are laying out printed page for a magazine, for example...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.