PDA

View Full Version : wifi peer to peer network w/ one pc/ one mac?

JSRockit
Sep 22, 2003, 06:11 PM
Has anyone set up a wi-fi peer to peer network using one PC laptop and one Mac laptop? I have a PC laptop hooked up to a cable modem (via ethernet cable) and was wondering how I can share the modem with my mac via wifi?

Hugin777
Sep 22, 2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by JSRockit
Has anyone set up a wi-fi peer to peer network using one PC laptop and one Mac laptop? I have a PC laptop hooked up to a cable modem (via ethernet cable) and was wondering how I can share the modem with my mac via wifi?

I've got no experience with WiFi, and don't know whether peer to peer works or you need an access point. But maybe you should try to connect the Mac to the cable modem and share the internet connection from the Mac ?

JSRockit
Sep 22, 2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Hugin777
maybe you should try to connect the Mac to the cable modem and share the internet connection from the Mac ?

That seems to be everyone's answer...perhaps I need to go to a PC site to find the opposite answer. My Mac is in my studio, my PC is my internet computer...so I need the Mac in my studio...even if it is 7 feet away...it is a different room.

Hugin777
Sep 22, 2003, 07:08 PM
That seems to be everyone's answer...perhaps I need to go to a PC site to find the opposite answer. My Mac is in my studio, my PC is my internet computer...so I need the Mac in my studio...even if it is 7 feet away...it is a different room.

Well, there are probably not that many people here who enjoy setting up Windows ;-)

Which version of Windows do you have ?

Can the two machines see each other via WiFi ? Ping ?

Hugin777
Sep 22, 2003, 07:13 PM

If I were you I would try the simplest possible way to check if it's at all possible. So, before attempting to share the connection from Windows, I would try to share it from OS X. If that worked I would try to persuade Windows to do the same trick...

JSRockit
Sep 22, 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Hugin777
Well, there are probably not that many people here who enjoy setting up Windows ;-)

Which version of Windows do you have ?

Can the two machines see each other via WiFi ? Ping ?

Win XP...both laptops are 802.11G...and I just have no idea how to have one recognize the other without a base.

tomf87
Sep 22, 2003, 10:15 PM
I have this setup at home. I have a Linksys BEFWSR11 802.11b router. An Airport should do the same as well, although it will need to be configured from the Mac first.

Connect the cable modem into the WAN port, and connect everything else either into the built-in 4 port switch or over wireless. Either way, you can get out to the 'Net with no problem and also do what you need to do internally. In addition, the router has a built-in DHCP server to hand out addresses on the network.

You may need to adjust the workgroup setting on your mac if you share files over NetBIOS. Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Directory Access. Click the lock at the bottom and enter your password. Highlight SMB and click Configure. Enter the same workgroup name as your PC. You may need to reboot, although I can't confirm it. I'd reboot just to be safe.

Voila.. Windows file sharing should work.

tomf87
Sep 22, 2003, 10:16 PM
Oh, and you can share without an access point, but the range will be more limited.

You will need to configure the wireless NIC's to be in Ad-Hoc mode versus Infrastructure if you are going to do this. Personally, I'd pay the money, get the router, and save yourself some heartache. Ad-Hoc is a pain in the rear.

JSRockit
Sep 23, 2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by tomf87
Oh, and you can share without an access point, but the range will be more limited.

You will need to configure the wireless NIC's to be in Ad-Hoc mode versus Infrastructure if you are going to do this. Personally, I'd pay the money, get the router, and save yourself some heartache. Ad-Hoc is a pain in the rear.

Yeah, I'll most likely get a WAP.