PDA

View Full Version : MDD Power Mac question...

5300cs
Sep 22, 2003, 09:22 PM
Hello all,

I just got an MDD G4 the other day, but I think there's something wrong with it. First off, the power button won't turn it on, neither did pushing the power button on the keyboard (underneath the button that says help.) Also, since these 2 buttons I guess aren't working, I can't force restart.

Am I correct in assuming that this is NOT normal? Other than that, it's running no problem (I'm posting from it now.)

Any suggestions? I bought it 2 days ago so I can still bring it back if need be.

Gymnut
Sep 22, 2003, 09:35 PM
Do you have an Apple LCD? If so, press the power button on that.

dabirdwell
Sep 22, 2003, 10:03 PM
The Power Management Unit on the logic board could help. Open the MDD and look for a small round black button at one of the corners of the logic board, it should say PMU reset, I think; press it. Close your Mac and try the power. Hopefully, like magic it will begin to sound like a fighter jet warming up.

MoparShaha
Sep 22, 2003, 10:21 PM
Also, the power button on the MDD's is pretty stiff. You have to press it in the top left hand part of the circle really firmly for it to register. Good luck.

5300cs
Sep 22, 2003, 10:52 PM
Great advice folks, thanks! :)

I found the PMU reset switch and hit that, plus I pushed the top left part of the power button and we're ready for takeoff ( :rolleyes: oof, bad joke .. sorry, hangover.)

Am I incorrect in assuming that I can hit what looks like a power button on the keyboard and it'll start up? So far it hasn't worked. How to I force restart? Forgive me, the last desktop Mac I had was a Quadra 840.

Thanks again!!

MoparShaha
Sep 22, 2003, 11:18 PM
Apple no longer puts power buttons on their keyboards. The eject key can be used as the power button when the computer is on though. Press:

Control+Eject = Shutdown dialog box pops up
Option+Command + Eject= sleep.
Control+Command+Eject = soft restart.

These are software features, so they do not work if the computer is frozen from a kernal panic or if it is off.

If you need to force a restart, you need to firmly, and I stress firmly, hold down the power button on the computer for about 5 seconds. This will turn it off. Then just turn it on again.